IGNORED

Changing low beam headlight on Audi A6

keithb

Need some help guys. Anyone know how to change the left low beam headlight bulb on a 2004 Audi A6? After removing the plastic cover over the light fixture it looks like there is a metal clip on the light pod that moves toward the center of the car and another clip that moves towards the left fender. Never having done this before I don't want to go down the wrong path or break something. I also see what amounts to an electrical connection going into the back of the light. Not sure if the bulb is in front of that. Audi forums have been no help so far. Thanks in advance for your response.

Hey Keith,

You are on the right track.

There are two clips that release sideways to release the cover. There are two connectors for the coolant system blocking the removal of the cover. You can unclip them from the mounting bracket and move them out of the way. Slide the cover toward the passenger side. You will need to play with different angles to get it out of the way. If you have xenons, and it sounds like you do, there is a ballast behind the bulb which can be removed by turning it 1/3 of a turn. There is a standard locking nut holding the bulb in that needs to turn to be able to slip the bulb out. I'm sure you know this, but do not touch the glass of the new bulb.

Be prepared to bleed, it is a tight fit :grin:

Spyder

Thanks so much for your response. A question or two. Directly behind the cover is a vertical bracket with electrical connectors mounted in it. Directly to the right of that is a yellow mineral oil bottle mounted on the left fender. Do you mean removing the electrical connectors only or the mineral bottle as well? I don't think the car has zenons. It looks like a regular colored headlight beam. It is not the color of a fluorescent light. Am I still on the right track? In all honestly this is as bad or worse than the right side bulb on my RT. Damn Germans. :mad: Something sensible is just too damn easy!

Hey Keith,

You do not need to move the bottle. Yes, the vertical bracket with the electrical connectors is what I am talking about. You will not have enough room to remove the cover with those in place. Just unclip the the wire connectors from the bracket (pull toward you) and move out of the way in order to have clearance to remove the cover behind the bulb. Once you get the cover out of the way, if you have a round fixture connected to the back of the bulb, that is the ballast for the xenons. BTW, the xenons are expensive; $300 from the Audi dealer, $100 for Osrams. Most Audi's in 2003/2004 came with 35 Watt Osram D2S's. ( part no. 66040 -- superceded by part no. 66240)

If you are still having trouble we can speak on the telephone....

Spyder you da man! :thumbsup: I figured out it was the electrical connectors that had to be unhooked and moved out of the way. I cannot believe after that close quarter drill I am not bleeding. Not cuts or bruises YET. This was easily as much a PITA as changing the right bulb on Ruby. Thanks for hanging with me on this one. I can't wait to change the right side. :cry:

Archived