IGNORED

a deeper shade of kool aid

Matts_12GS

It looks like I have finally got my camper sold and will be selling my truck pretty soon.

Since I'll need to have a rain car, and a car for those nights when Dianne doesn't want to take her car (the mobile office...) I've been giving some thought to...

Buying an older BMW car.

I have quite a thing for 740 and 850 series cars, but I'm leery of the V12 in the 850s.

Anyone have any experience with these cars? Caveats?

This is a typical model that I'm looking at.

eight fiddy

seven fourty

It looks like I have finally got my camper sold and will be selling my truck pretty soon.

Since I'll need to have a rain car, and a car for those nights when Dianne doesn't want to take her car (the mobile office...) I've been giving some thought to...

Buying an older BMW car.

I have quite a thing for 740 and 850 series cars, but I'm leery of the V12 in the 850s.

Anyone have any experience with these cars? Caveats?

This is a typical model that I'm looking at.

eight fiddy

seven fourty

Hell, my car doesn't look that good and its an 2002 :dopeslap: Good luck with the search.

I bought a 1994 740i in 1998 for $20 with 20,000 miles on it. Gave it to my father in 2003. It has 250,000 on it now. A couple little problems, but nothin serious and it never quit or stranded us anywhere. I would buy another one. He just brought it to my house for Thanksgiving. It still drives and rides great!!!!

:thumbsup:

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Here's what I drive when two wheels are out of the question:

ResizeofDSC01712.jpg

It's a cherry 01 540, and every time I drive that car, it puts a grin on my face. Definitely a driver's car. It has been stone cold reliable too, with only regular maintenance.

Love it. My next car will be a 335 or maybe a Z coupe.

I had a 328 sport coupe that was a total blast to drive. My only complaint was how expensive maintenance was. If you take it to a reasonable independent shop or do it yourself, that's probably not a concern.

By the way, the only real BMW is a straight six. Wash your mouth out for even thinking about a V-12 (unless you think of it as two sixes on the same crank, which is essentially that)! ;)

Come by the lab & talk to my landlord, Sam of Sam's Automotive.

He's BMW certified, & that's all he works on. Rides, too. He'll steer you in the right direction. Let me know when, I'll interduce you.

matt we've owned 3 bmw autos and the only real problem with two of them was the air conditioning. not sure if it's our florida weather, but they were pricey fixes. mechanically no other issues

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

BTW-I'd be wary of anything coming out of the South, like the eight fiddy, built pre-Katrina, but that's just me.

Why would you pay over 13,000 for a car with over 120,000 miles on it? For a little more you can get a new car, teh maintenance would be an issue. I had a 318 and the maintenance killed me, fun to drive, but not cheap. On the 740 watch teh electronics, neighbor has one and it is in the shop monthly for some little electronic quirk. Great cars but big maintenance.

Pat,

I can appreciate your point. I've given a lot lot of thought on the newer 5 series cars (the 3s are just a bit small for me) and there are some deals out there on them.

I've had a woody over the 850 since it was introduced, but never really thought I was a BMW car type. I may not go this route, because I am sure that the tune up on a V12, especially a car that age will get spendy if everything keeps working as it's supposed to.

It's fun to dream though.

Archived