Solution for constantly scratched sidecases

bohuntr

I had to replace a sidecase in September due to my apartment complex dropping my bike, even though they paid for the damage, I was shocked at the expense of such minor damage. Last month I hit a rode cone and scratched the other one pretty deeply. Yes, my fault, I was weaving in/out of them at 80 mph. This time I would have to pay for the damage and I was not looking forward to the shelling out that kind of money. While I was looking at my newly damaged case and comparing it with the old one, a light came on.

Why not get a spare set to use as replacements?

The cost of new sidecase was 430.00.

Cost of 2 sidecases on eBay - 80.00 each (x 2 = 160.00)

Cost of painting 4 sidecases to match bike - 75.00 each (x 4 = 300.00)

I brought all 4 cases into my local bodyshop and they painted them to match the bike and each other (don't do one set, get them all matched to hide any minor paint variation that can happen with each batch of paint). They also added a hardener of some type that makes the paint a little more durable.

Total cost of cases and paint = 460.00. This is only 30.00 more than one new sidecase, and I have 2 spares that match the bike.

I can't believe I didn't think of this before. Its not that I deeply scratch them all the time, but they do get minor scratches and scuffs so easily. This is a pretty cheap way to keep them looking nice.

John

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Painted sidecases! Whose idea was that? The new GT has them, and I much prefer the practicality of the unfinished ones on the RT.

They do look better though, atleast for now.

So far no scratches, but how about this plan? After I damage a side case, I will buy and apply those black adhesive BMW accessory sidecase protectors. A pair is less than $150 and if there's a repeat scratch event, the protector itself wouldn't need to be replaced. Do those protectors actually protect?

First, If infact you were doing 100 MPH weaving in and out of road cones and came in contact with one of them you are very lucky that a deep scratch is all that happened. Call BMW Bone Yard and if they don't have it get on there back log list. Fill the deep scratch with black RTV.

My unpainted system cases have several kick marks. My last BMW had yellow paint on one bag from an encounter with a gas pump barrier. I just call it character and don't worry about it.

"Cost of painting 4 sidecases to match bike - 75.00 each (x 4 = 300.00)"

How is the quality of the paint job? Did they spray them with a clearcoat? Two years ago I had a lid painted and it was $200. The same place is now charging $300 or more w/scratches. Heck you can call Chicago BMW you can get a brand new lid for $344 ($430-20%). If the quality is good I would give your place a try. I have two lids right now I would like to have painted. After my first lid was repainted I bought black lids to use on my RT. They look good and cost a helluva less than $430 ($170 two years ago). Send me a private message with the contact info for this facility. Thanks.

"Cost of painting 4 sidecases to match bike - 75.00 each (x 4 = 300.00)"

How is the quality of the paint job? Did they spray them with a clearcoat? Two years ago I had a lid painted and it was $200. The same place is now charging $300 or more w/scratches. Heck you can call Chicago BMW you can get a brand new lid for $344 ($430-20%). If the quality is good I would give your place a try. I have two lids right now I would like to have painted. After my first lid was repainted I bought black lids to use on my RT. They look good and cost a helluva less than $430 ($170 two years ago). Send me a private message with the contact info for this facility. Thanks.

Keith, what color bike do you have?

I really liked the look of the black cases on my last silver RT so have been sorta of thinking or trying some black case covers from the 1200R on my 1200RT..

Probably wouldn’t cost me too much in the long run as my silver case covers would look like new at re-sale time & the black covers would probably fetch a fair price on E-Bay when I am done with them..

You have any pictures to share?

Twisty

"Keith, what color bike do you have?"

Oh Ruby won't like that comment! :rofl: The clue is in the signature line my friend. I think the black lids look great. The lids match the seat, tires, and lower side panels. What's not to like? When/if the black lids get scratched just whip out your trusty can of Esquire black shoe polish and go to town. Works like a charm. Used covers from the Boneyard run about $40-$65 each and usually have some scratches. I bought the black right side lid from them 2 years ago for $60 and it looked like it was brand new. Not a scracth on it. I just bought a lid with a few scratches from a member for $40. Right now I have two complete sets of red lids and one set of black lids. The first thing to be trashed in a crash is the lids.

You can mount the rubber protectors higher on the case than the instructions say. I re-mounted mine at the wide point, after I painted my scratches, but haven't tested them yet.

You also might try solvent cleaning the scratches, just to make sure the paint is actually scratched off.

My side cases had a contact incident with a truck trailer tire a while back and I thought they were done for. They appeared deeply scratched and some of the paint appeared missing. The "missing paint" turned out to be tire rubber, and the scratches completely disappeared after a cleaning with kerosene. I was actually quite surprised with how tough the paint was.

Nice n Easy Rider
You can mount the rubber protectors higher on the case than the instructions say. I re-mounted mine at the wide point, after I painted my scratches, but haven't tested them yet.

Sharon,

Any pics showing how the protectors look when mounted higher?

For what it is worth, do not get caught weaving in and out of cones. It is at least considered reckless driving, and since in most places fines double in construction zones, it is potentially expensive. With the fines doubled, there are more cops in constructions zones also. I was very lucky, I talked my way out of the ticket but then I am a fat bald old guy.

Rod

...I hit a rode cone... I was weaving in/out at 80 mph.... I can't believe I didn't think of this before.

I can't believe you hit something at 80mph and you're concerned about scratches in your side cases! I'd be sitting at home kicking myself endlessly over the near catastrophe.

Archived