IGNORED

1200RT front brake lever travel

sevenup

i have just arrived home from work. I have a hill start on a steep hill with traffic. My brake lever gradually sunk slowly towards the handlebars as I held it in the traffic. No perceptible decline in brake function on the move.

Is this normal?

if not, possible solutions?

Definitely not normal. At first glance best guess is a master cylinder issue. At any rate I would personally not ride the bike until it is sorted. No brakes = no fun.

i have just arrived home from work. I have a hill start on a steep hill with traffic. My brake lever gradually sunk slowly towards the handlebars as I held it in the traffic. No perceptible decline in brake function on the move.

Is this normal?

if not, possible solutions?

sevenup, I agree with Ken.. Most times when the brake lever drifts to the handlebar while holding the brake on it is a master cylinder problem..

Fairly easy to tell—Just hold the front brake lever on & allow it to drift all the way to the handle bar about 5 or 6 times.. Then check the brake fluid level in the front master cylinder reservoir.. If the reservoir is still full then you more than likely have some fluid by-passing the pressure piston in the front master cylinder as it isn’t losing fluid anywhere.. (will take a front master cylinder overhaul or replacement)

If the front master cylinder is low on fluid after 5 or 6 full drift downs then you either have a leak in the front brake system (lines/hose/connections) somewhere or have an internal leakage inside the ABS computer..

You didn’t give us the year of your 1200RT so there are some differences between the early electric servo assist brake system & the later non servo assist systems.. Shouldn’t make any difference to the front master cylinder but would if the fluid is low in the reservoir..

Twisty

The drift is more perceptible when I need a really firm grip but definitely there. While present at 'normal' braking, there is still a drift that shouldn't be there. No apparent leaks but I recall similar problems on my old 1100rs and the master cylinder piston and seal needed replacing.

I just wondered if others had experience of this. Its a UK 2007 SE with 9k miles on the clock. Its already familiar with the workshop so should feel right at home after the New Year when the dealer reopens.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I had the same issue on my RT once. It turned out to be a leak where the fitiing attaches to the front brake line hose. The dealer mechanic said that he had never seen this happen before.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let you guys know, the dealer has ordered me a new warranty replacement Master Cylinder.

This is getting close to the 6m$ bike. BMW have the technology, they can rebuild it. (not sure I have the time.) It would be nice to have a lemon law like some US states. I have to check my bike on every ride-I'm sure from some angles there is a yellow tinge to the silver

Archived