IGNORED

Fuel level display

spfksfdk

I've had the plastics off my bike SO many times it's not possible but when they go back on things are normally OK. This time though the fuel gauge is not working and the oil temperature is reading 2/3 of what it does normally, any ideas?

I had the tank off (again!) at the same time, so it could be a bad connection here, does anyone know the pin-out for this connector?

If it is a bad joint on the fuel gauge, why would it affect the oil temp display?

The RID shares common power and earth connections. The most likely culprit is a poor connection at the tank connector - I would pull it apart, clean everything up and re-connect.

Andy

I've had the plastics off my bike SO many times it's not possible but when they go back on things are normally OK. This time though the fuel gauge is not working and the oil temperature is reading 2/3 of what it does normally, any ideas?

I had the tank off (again!) at the same time, so it could be a bad connection here, does anyone know the pin-out for this connector?

If it is a bad joint on the fuel gauge, why would it affect the oil temp display?

Andrew, did you also remove a frame ground wire connection when you had the tank off? While it could be many things the most common connection to BOTH the fuel gauge & oil temperature reading being skewed would be a chassis ground connection..

What were you doing with the tank removed?

Twisty

I had the tank off to change the washers on the banjo of the clutch slave cylinder.

Where is this earth wire. My tank has only 1 multi-way connector...

This time though the fuel gauge is not working and the oil temperature is reading 2/3 of what it does normally, any ideas?

That is the symptom you get if you forget to reconnect the little two wire connector inside the tank for the fuel level gauge. If you changed the fuel filter while the tank was off I would suspect that. If you didn't change the fuel filter I would look at the connector you have to disconnect to remove the tank. Check for pins that have been pressed in. Clean it, reseat it, and try again.

If you feel confident with a DVM I'm sure people here will be able to provide you with the pin outs to trace this problem.

Stan

Archived