spedo cable replacement

I have bought a new speedo cable and have been formulating a battle plan for the swap. As it is pretty cold out right now I would like to minimize my quality time with my bike (I only have a carport). Is it possible to get to the back of the speedometer by removing the just the left fairing or do I need to go in deeper, say left speaker removal?.

I really need to get this done soon as my spedometer is louder than my engine.

I swapped a speedo cable on my 2001 RT without removing any fairing at all. It was fiddly but straightforward. Could you save time by just unscrewing the lower fitting and swapping out just the inner cable leaving the outer connected to the speedo?

I replaced mine but took the nose cone off.

BUT......I really recommend putting loctite blue on the threads on back of speedo as some have had a problem with repeated unscrewing.

I swapped a speedo cable on my 2001 RT without removing any fairing at all. It was fiddly but straightforward. Could you save time by just unscrewing the lower fitting and swapping out just the inner cable leaving the outer connected to the speedo?

Can't do the internals swap my outer sheath is cracked. I'll see if I can't get my hands up there.

I replaced mine but took the nose cone off.

BUT......I really recommend putting loctite blue on the threads on back of speedo as some have had a problem with repeated unscrewing.

I hate taking off the nose cone. Have done it too many times. Anyway good sugestion on the loctite.

If you have small enough hands and some dexterity (or can bribe a kid that does) it’s possible to just reach up from the bottom and unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo without any disassembly. Trace you’re way up the cable sheath until you feel the knurl.

If you have small enough hands and some dexterity (or can bribe a kid that does) it’s possible to just reach up from the bottom and unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo without any disassembly. Trace you’re way up the cable sheath until you feel the knurl.

Agreed. If necessary, you can also reach a pliers up in there as well. I did so to tighten once or twice (1100, not 1150) before I finally went with the blue Loctite. If you're afraid of the Loctite, others have also used nail polish.

You can get to the back of the speedo either by reaching between the handlebars and the dash or by looking up from under the forks. No tupperware removal is necessary.

The trick when replacing the cable is the the thread at the top end is very fine and very long. You keep turning and turning and think you must have it on, but you don't.

I wouldn't use any Loctite on it. If you do, you will need to remove fairing bits if you ever need to replace the cable again. Someday you'll sell that bike and 2 or 3 years afterwards your ears will be burning because the next guy is cursing that $%#*$& who put Loctite on the speedo cable.

Archived