IGNORED

R1150RT Cruise Control Questions

Stephen_Chase

Stephen_Chase

Hi folks,

I am planning to purchase the aftermarket cruise control kit from Motorcycle Cruise Controls (Australia) for my 2004 R1150RT.

I am interested to hear your views on how well this kit will work.

In particular, the maker cautions about possible interference from LED brake light units and signal flashers. I am using Kisan items for brakes, Signalminder and a Kisan headlight modulator. Will these items cause intereference?

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen_Chase

I have read the installation literature provided by the manufacturer of the cruise control kit & decided NOT to get the kit.

IMHO, it is simply too complex for my skills and, with no dealer in my immediate area, too risky. Maybe this is why BMW never offered the option on the 1150's??

Stephen

Throttlemeister :thumbsup:

Had it on my RT since new....looks good (unobtrusive) and when I need to use it, it works just fine plus the heavier version dampened out nearly all vibrations on the handlebars.

I added the kaoka version (like throttlemeister) not nearly as easy as the official cruise control on my LT, but............

Does what it should, gives the right hand a break...........

Stephen. I installed the MC Cruise control on my 2002 1150RT. Did it myself. Not a big deal. Works fine and I'm very pleased. Cheaper than buying a new RT just for the cruise control.

My only problem was with my bar backs. The bar backs resulted in the cut and re-attached throttle cable to be too short. I bought a new OEM BMW throttle cable and made my end piece longer to account for the bar backs. No problem now. I have a Kisan Signal minder and BMW OEM LED accessory brake light. No problems. PM me if you have specific questions. Once you've used real crusie control, you won't want to go back.

By the way. The guys at MC Cruise are great. Twice I emailed them a fairly minor question and they promptly called me on the phone with the answer from Australia on their dime. The service is very good.

Stephen_Chase

Once you've used real crusie control, you won't want to go back.

Thanks Al. I had an aftermarket real cruise control on my '96 RT so I know what you mean. Worked just like the car.

I find it strange that BMW did not offer it for my '04 RT (or did they?)

Cheers!

Stephen

When looking at a new vehicle or just adding technology or "stuff" to an existing vehicle, I subscribe to the theory that it's just more sh&* to go wrong and/or purported to make your life easier and consequently more complicated"! :grin::grin:

I find it strange that BMW did not offer it for my '04 RT (or did they?)

BMW didn't put a real cruise control on the RT until the Hexhead came out in 2005. I test rode quite a few new and used 1200RT's and decided the ONLY thing I really liked better was the cruise control, so I added it to my 1150RT.

Stephen. I installed the MC Cruise control on my 2002 1150RT. Did it myself. Not a big deal. Works fine and I'm very pleased. Cheaper than buying a new RT just for the cruise control.

My only problem was with my bar backs. The bar backs resulted in the cut and re-attached throttle cable to be too short. I bought a new OEM BMW throttle cable and made my end piece longer to account for the bar backs. No problem now. I have a Kisan Signal minder and BMW OEM LED accessory brake light. No problems. PM me if you have specific questions. Once you've used real crusie control, you won't want to go back.

By the way. The guys at MC Cruise are great. Twice I emailed them a fairly minor question and they promptly called me on the phone with the answer from Australia on their dime. The service is very good.

+1 on the good stuff from these guys. I've installed 2 and ridden many kM's with no dramas at all. I think you can dowload their install instructions before you buy just to get an idea of what you're in for. If not PM me with an email addy and I can pass on. It will take approx 6 hours if that is all you are doing. I took 9 but was adding a GPS at the same time.

Cheers,

Are there other aftermarket cruise control kits for the R1150RT, in addition to MC Cruise Control?

Yes, Audiovox makes a generic cruise control kit for under $100. I (and several other forum members) have one of these installed on our oilheads and it works very well. But this route does take some mechanical aptitude and ingenuity as it is a generic kit and there are no custom instructions and no one to hold your hand (although there is lots of info about motorcycle installation of this kit on various bikes available on the web.) The installation was pretty straightforward on my bike (an 1100RT) but it has the early version throttle cable arrangement without the junction box (as would be found on '97 and later bikes, including the 1150.). The junction box complicates things a bit but I believe solutions have been developed.

Archived