IGNORED

Factory Radio Install Question...

billy bee

I bought the components (used) to install a factory radio/cassette. Before installing everything, I tested the radio. I got the power to come on and the LCD flashed a number. Satisified that it worked OK, I unplugged everything and installed the radio in the box and ran all the wires. Now no worky. No number. Acts like there is no power. Yes, I have the anti-theft code, but did not enter it during the test. Did I eff up?

Any ideas?

Billy, I really don’t have any specific help to offer here as the only radio I am familiar with is the later 1150 RT radio..

If it (the radio) came on before installation but not after it sounds like you might be missing power or a ground at one of the radio terminals..

I believe that 1100 radio has one ground,, one full time power,, & one key on power..

Have you checked & re-checked all your wire connectors for the possibility of a terminal being pushed out when the connector was plugged together?.. If you used the factory wiring did you add the radio fuse to the fuse box?

Have you used a voltmeter or test light & verified you have the 2 power in’s & a proper ground?

Other than a mis-wire problem or a dead power or ground circuit,, I just don’t know..

Twisty

Good call, Twisty... There is a 4 amp fuse on the radio circuit. Somehow, it blew. I am guessing I grounded out the connector at some point during the install.

Now to install the antenna... Anybody done that before?

bb

Billy Bee , There is a small divot on the inside of the front fairing ahead of the left mirror . Its about the size of a fat pencil point and is easy to locate if you reference the mounting location from pictures of a factory installed antenna .

Found it. Took a pick tool (an awe with a 90-degree bend near the tip) and poked through the tupperware and used that as a pilot hole to drill in from the outside. I struggled with the size of the hole to drill in the bodywork. I ended up making a hole only as big and the nipple on the outer rubber grommet.

There is a spacer that goes inside the bodywork (through a steel arm). I also struggled with the orientation of that part. I was tempted to put it between the bodywork and the arm, but flipped it around so the shoulder rested against the inside of the arm (rather than between the bodywork and the arm).

So, the radio is in and operational. Not crazy about how they have the switched lead set up. It only goes all the way off when you lock the steering ("OFF" position). Otherwise, the radio stays on. A second power lead supplies power all the time for the memory and stuff. So, I'll have to find another switched lead that goes off when the key is in the "R" position. Anybody have ideas for that?

Thanks for the help.

bb

So, the radio is in and operational. Not crazy about how they have the switched lead set up. It only goes all the way off when you lock the steering ("OFF" position). Otherwise, the radio stays on. A second power lead supplies power all the time for the memory and stuff. So, I'll have to find another switched lead that goes off when the key is in the "R" position. Anybody have ideas for that?

BB, can’t you just push the radio on/off button to turn it off? If that radio is like the 1150 radios it will stay on for about 30 minutes when the key is just turned to the 0 position.. Not sure another power source will still turn it off as I believe that 30 minute keep alive is in the radio.. Put your voltmeter on the ign power input to the radio to see if it goes off at key off? If so,, it doesn’t matter where you power it from as that 30 minute keep alive will still be active as long as it has the full time power to it.. Again not sure if the 1100 radio is the same or not..

Twisty

To turn the head unit off I have to open the glove box and switch it off manually or lock the steering... I'll check the switched lead next time I am in there to check the keep alive function. Or I could just leave the radio on for 30 minutes to see if it turns off...

bb

It doesn't! Mine stayed on for more than an hour the other day when I accidently left it on but turned all the way down. Bike was shut off in the R postition.

To turn the head unit off I have to open the glove box and switch it off manually or lock the steering... I'll check the switched lead next time I am in there to check the keep alive function. Or I could just leave the radio on for 30 minutes to see if it turns off...

bb

That is designed operation. the "R" position is the "Radio" position. the only "Off" position on the switch is with the steering locked. Why the resistance to locking the bike?

Andy

That is designed operation. the "R" position is the "Radio" position. the only "Off" position on the switch is with the steering locked. Why the resistance to locking the bike?

Andy

No resistance, really. I have never habitually locked the steering on either of my oilheads. I just have to change habits or find a switched lead that turns off in the "R" position.

I appreciate the information, however. Now it all makes sense.

bb

Archived