Installing a GPS on my 1200RT, any worries?

cali_beemer

I am bout to install my new garmin 2730 to my 1200RT. I want o hook it up directly to the battery so it can power on without the ignition. Are there concerns with the canbus? DoI just hook the red to the positive and black to negative or is ther any special setup for this bike? I bought the motorcycle mounting kit and it has the garmin motorcycle hookup cord and if I remeber right it has a built in in-line fuse.

C.B., no problem, just hook it up directly to the battery.. The canbus won’t even know it is there..

Just make sure you fuse the wire so you don’t have future problems.. If you install a decent fuse you can even charge the battery back through the GPS wires & completely by- pass the canbus so you can use a conventional GEL safe battery charger (no need for the high dollar BMW charger)

Been operating my Zumo direct to the battery on my 1200RT since the day I bought the bike..

Twisty

C.B., no problem, just hook it up directly to the battery.. The canbus won’t even know it is there..

Just make sure you fuse the wire so you don’t have future problems.. If you install a decent fuse you can even charge the battery back through the GPS wires & completely by- pass the canbus so you can use a conventional GEL safe battery charger (no need for the high dollar BMW charger)

Been operating my Zumo direct to the battery on my 1200RT since the day I bought the bike..

Twisty

Thanks I will do that. I will probably just use the fuse provided by garmin. I am going to be ditching the BMW battery soon for a Universal battery I have seen discussed on here before. I also have never had the need to charge my battery on the bike since it usually gets ridden atleast every other day if not every day.

For what it's worth, my BMW master tech told me that if I wanted to charge the battery directly I should disconnect the negative side wiring from the battery first. He recommended against hooking the Battery Tender directly to the battery without first doing this.

Since I wanted to be able to connect and disconnect easily and quickly, I went with the expensive BMW charger which talks to the CANBUS system and allows hookup via the power socket.

You might want to check with your dealer to see if they agree about disconnecting the rest of the wiring while charging, and if so what the reason is.

$0.00017

As far as the garmin hook up - why not run a fused wire with a cig light socket, then if you want to remove the gps to another vehicle easily that could be done and you have a ready acces. port available. Also, I find that the clear vinyl bags found with shower curtains and such make great water resistant covers for my magellan!

Bob

As far as the garmin hook up - why not run a fused wire with a cig light socket, then if you want to remove the gps to another vehicle easily that could be done and you have a ready acces. port available. Also, I find that the clear vinyl bags found with shower curtains and such make great water resistant covers for my magellan!

Bob

I have GPS already for my other vehicles and the 2730 comes with car cradle and hookup as well so I could just pop the unit out and pop it back into the car cradle if need be whick seems alot easier. This eliminates a big ugly wire and doesnt consume a power port. I dont understand the people that use the clear plastic bags. My bike came with a sirrius satelite radio and I hate using the plastic bags. Of course luckily for me I am not impressed with Magellin GPS after using one. I have tried Tomtom, Magellin and Garmin and I will always take the Garmin unit. I love the clean integration of XM radio through the garmin units. Very cool in my opinion. To me Garmin is way ahead of the others for GPS.

Do not forget, most Garmin units are waterproof and do not need any plastic bags. :thumbsup:

Yeah, my big reason for the garmin gps/xm combo. I love it. It ranks up ther as my best/favorite farkle by far. I still dont understand the poeple using plastic bags. I guess I can understand it if you already had a GPS before buying the bike but especially a GPS that has a touchcreen, I cant see wanting to use the plastic bag. Garmin units rock!

I use a Zumo on my R1200RT and my F650GS Dakar. On the RT I powered the unit using the conveniently located BMW connector that is part of the standard harness. The connector is taped to the frame that supports the front fairing. It is below and slightly behind the instrument cluster. It is pretty easy to find. I bought the mating connector from my BMW dealer for a few bucks and soldered it ot the Garmin wiring. It is switched but it is also protected via the CANbus system. I wired directly to the battery on the Dakar. It was quick and dirty but it has caused one problem. If you aren't careful and leave the GPS on when you put the bike away at night you will have a dead battery in the morning. You know what they say about opinions but if I were you I would go the convenient, clean BMW provided connector on the RT.

If you aren't careful and leave the GPS on when you put the bike away at night you will have a dead battery in the morning.

rthunt, that is one big reason to not use the BMW oem connector but instead wire battery direct .. With the can-bus system the ZFE holds the power on for that connector after shut down for a time period so when it finally shuts down after a few minutes it can bring some GPS’s back on & run the battery down..

Plus, with my Zumo I don’t want it to power down at gas stops or while waiting for a group of riders to show up & effect the tracking for that leg of the trip..

Twisty

Do not forget, most Garmin units are waterproof and do not need any plastic bags. :thumbsup:

Bernie, yes some of the Garmin GPS units are water resistant (like the Zumo) problem is most of the cradles that they mount in aren’t..

Twisty

have my 550 powered by my centech fuse panel, whcih is triggered on via relay - when the zfe module shuts off so does the gps - no worries of draining battery

Semper_Fi, are you sure? The Zumo power circuit is still can/ZFE controlled with the delayed shutdown..

With Zumo still on,, try stopping the motorcycle,, turning the engine off,, then removing the key,, then push the Zumo power button to turn it off, then walk away..

Then come back later & see if the Zumo is back on (they usually are).. That will run the battery down in about 3-5 hours..

For some reason the Zumo seems to sense the power change when the ZFE shuts down triggering the Zumo to come back on using internal battery power..

Twisty

For what it's worth, my BMW master tech told me that if I wanted to charge the battery directly I should disconnect the negative side wiring from the battery first. He recommended against hooking the Battery Tender directly to the battery without first doing this.

That’s just the legal dept. and the BMW battery charger marketing people talking. Many many hexhead owners (myself included) connect directly to the battery with a typical battery tender without disconnecting anything. No issues.

Semper_Fi, are you sure? The Zumo power circuit is still can/ZFE controlled with the delayed shutdown..

With Zumo still on,, try stopping the motorcycle,, turning the engine off,, then removing the key,, then push the Zumo power button to turn it off, then walk away..

Then come back later & see if the Zumo is back on (they usually are).. That will run the battery down in about 3-5 hours..

For some reason the Zumo seems to sense the power change when the ZFE shuts down triggering the Zumo to come back on using internal battery power..

Twisty

Twisty when the zfe shuts down the zumo then asks me if i want to continue on battery power, at which point it counts down for 30 seconds and shuts off.

Twisty

Twisty when the zfe shuts down the zumo then asks me if i want to continue on battery power, at which point it counts down for 30 seconds and shuts off.

Semper_Fi, yep, that is normal Zumo operation.. If the Zumo is allowed to power up automatically as it is powered from the bike or as it is installed in the powered cradle it will usually ask,, then automatically shut itself down shortly after ZFE power down.. That means you either need to ALWAYS trust that is/was automatically powered up,, or wait around & check it as the ZFE powers it down after a few minutes after shutting the bike off.. Also,, if it does power down per above at a gas stop or potty break that also means you have lost your continuous track for that leg of the trip..

Like I said in the post above try turning it off per the procedure posted in that thread & see if it comes back on when the ZFE shuts down (more than likely it will)

There will come a time when you turn it off with the Zumo off/on button (possibly a re-set or other reason),, then will turn it back on using the Zumo off/on button & in some instances of using the Zumo off/on button it will allow the Zumo to come back on when the ZFE shuts down.. Unless you always wait around to verify the Zumo ALWAYS shuts down & stays down at ZFE shut down there is always the chance it will come back on & stay on until battery depletion..

Not criticizing your installation as a lot of people install that way just bringing up a point of possible problem if turned on or off manually..

Twisty

so how do I remove the larger side tupperware piece that wraps around over the tank? I need to take that off to get to the wire routing. I have a Sirrius radio and intercom unit I am going to take off.

Twisty

Twisty note your comments and was not aware of a possible continous power on - good to know.

What i usually do is put my gear away while the zfe is idling to finally shut off so to me not a big deal.

Semper_Fi, yep, that is normal Zumo operation.. If the Zumo is allowed to power up automatically as it is powered from the bike or as it is installed in the powered cradle it will usually ask,, then automatically shut itself down shortly after ZFE power down.. That means you either need to ALWAYS trust that is/was automatically powered up,, or wait around & check it as the ZFE powers it down after a few minutes after shutting the bike off.. Also,, if it does power down per above at a gas stop or potty break that also means you have lost your continuous track for that leg of the trip..

Like I said in the post above try turning it off per the procedure posted in that thread & see if it comes back on when the ZFE shuts down (more than likely it will)

There will come a time when you turn it off with the Zumo off/on button (possibly a re-set or other reason),, then will turn it back on using the Zumo off/on button & in some instances of using the Zumo off/on button it will allow the Zumo to come back on when the ZFE shuts down.. Unless you always wait around to verify the Zumo ALWAYS shuts down & stays down at ZFE shut down there is always the chance it will come back on & stay on until battery depletion..

Not criticizing your installation as a lot of people install that way just bringing up a point of possible problem if turned on or off manually..

Twisty

Thanks for the links, they worked like a charm. I have the panels off and the GPS wire is already routed under the tank. I just need to go buy some battery terminal connectors for the GPS power cable. So far, very easy. I am also taking off the Baehr intercom and all the accesory cables for it that the bike came with along with the sirrius starmate radio.

Two thoughts on direct to battery for the GPS. If we forget to turn off the GPS, it will stay on in full service mode and drain the bike battery. The line must be fused to protect the GPS.

I use the Gamin GPS Map 478 with the GXM-30 antenna all mounted to a RAM mount. I have prewired all my bikes but the R1200C to accept this unit with both power and sound plug pre-positioned for the location. On the GS and GS Adventure, there was a convenient plug (Can Bus controlled so shut down after 30 seconds) under the middle of the oil cooler that would run both the GPS and J&M Corp's MA-967 audio amp for tunes to the helmet on the Adventure. The Honda, Harley and the RT use J&M's 2003 CB/Intercom/Weather radio unit to send sound to the helmets.

I put a fused cable directly to the battery terminals for the tender that can generate about 1.25 Amps. If you needed to give the battery a heavy duty charge, then disconnecting the positive battery connection to the bike is smart to keep spikes out of the electronics. Most dealers seem to be installing this short "tender" harness to preposition the sales of battery tenders!

I have 2 questions

1. If I am installing a Zumo using the BMW connector that is part of the wiring harness, do I need to keep the inline fuse that is on the zumo power cord?

So far, very easy. I am also taking off the Baehr intercom and all the accesory cables for it that the bike came with along with the sirrius starmate radio.

2. What Baehr intercom do you have and are you going to sell it?

I guess that was acutally 3 questions. oh well...

Thanks,

fountain27, that’s a good question.. The on-bike GPS connector & wiring is protected by the ZFE module on the motorcycle so you are basically protected for a major fault.. Problem is,, the Zumo harness wire is pretty small gauge & so are circuits in the Zumo motorcycle mount itself so the Zumo wire harness comes fused at (I think) a 3 amp fuse..

If you want to be totally safe & fully protect the Zumo & it’s cradle,, personally I would leave the factory fuse holder & fuse in the wire harness between the BMW GPS connector & the Zumo cradle..

Twisty

2. What Baehr intercom do you have and are you going to sell it?

I guess that was acutally 3 questions. oh well...

Thanks,

I have the Baehr Verso XL model and yes, its soon to find its way on the classified section. The guy before me had it on there but I dont ever ride 2 up, I use earbuds and I just like the garmin GPS/XM combo with the earbuds right off of it. I have used that setup on multiple bikes and I love it. The intercom was set so it could do like 3 things. I have the cords to plug a cell phone in, a GPS and a sirrius radio. I only have one full face helmet headset. I have been using the intercom to listen to my satelite radio so I know it works. PM me if your intrested. I dont knwo what to ask for it but as far as I can see it sells for about7-800 dollars new and then the accesory cords are extra. I was thinking of asking about 400 for it. does that seem like a fair price?

Okay, so I found a good home for my GXM-30 antenna. Unfortunately its under the black cowl piece under the windshield. I have the dash piece but unfortunately it wouls be a stretch to try and flex the plastic to squeeze the antenna in there with the dash piece off. I am trying to figure out the best method to get it under there. Should I take the speedo off to get it in there? Whats involved to take the black plastic cowl off? I cant see all the locations to get it off. Any help would be appreciated. I have seen where others have put it int he same location, so what did you guys do to ge it in there? I had just planned on using either some double sided tape, or I have some putty that you can cut a piece off and mix the two elements together and apply. Once the putty dries, its like concrete and secures in place.

Twisty:

1. The Zumo mount hasn't failed me in numberous monsoons.

2. When Zumo looses bike power, a screen immediately comees up and asks if you want the unit to run on batteries. The problem is the 2 minute(?) delay between when you turn the key off and the power shuts down on the bike.

Just leave it on. After one minute of the shutdown screen showing, Zumo will automatically turn itself off. If you turn Zumo off with the power switch, it will sense the change when the bike's power actually goes off and turn the Zumo back on with Zumo battery power.

It ain't bad, it's just different.

-TB

Archived