IGNORED

R1100RT ABS FAILURE PATTERN

Dean

2000 RT with 55,000 miles, I bought it new.

With the original OEM battery I would have an occassional ABS failure on roll-off which would clear itself on a later re-start. No biggie...they all do that and I knew it. A new maintenance free battery in 2002 fixed the occassional failure for six years.

Fast forward to May 2008. Stopped to register for a campsite after 125 miles on a 95 degree day. ABS failed on roll-off, alternating lights. Wouldn't reset on later restart, even tried shutting off ignition at 30mph and dumping the clutch. Lived with the flashing lights for the rest of the trip. Installed new battery, 12.94 volts.

Searched this site and worked my way through the ABS reset procedure. Worked as advertised, thank you! ABS engaged on roll-off 4 or 5 times during a 15 minute test ride.

Next long weekend trip, stopped for lunch after 75 miles or so. ABS failed on roll-off (alternating lights). I had made up a "re-set" wire and had it with me on this trip. Performed the reset in the parking lot, ABS failed again on roll-off. Performed the re-set again that evening in the campground but did not ride the bike. Next morning, ABS engaged as advertised. Rode 4 miles to breakfast, ABS engaged. Rode 12 miles to fuel stop, ABS engaged. Rode 90 miles to lunch stop. ABS failed on roll-off. Re-set again that evening without test ride. Next morning, ABS engaged and re-engaged normally after a couple of 10 mile sightseeing stops. Failed again after lunch stop (after riding 75 miles).

This "pattern" has been repeating itself on every subsequent longer trip. ABS works fine on short "errand" type excursions. I finally put electrical tape on the lights.

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:

New battery

Cleaned both wheel speed sensors

Checked clearance on both sensors (rear was under 18 thousnats, fixed it but have not ridden yet)

Checked sensor impedance, both 121 ohms cold.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Have you checked for ABS error codes? (as per page 72)

Also, one common problem is an intermittent connection of the front sensor due to a break in the wire at the tie wrap that holds the sensor wire to the brake line... some fail after time due to constant flexing. In this case the sensor might easily read good during an ohmmeter test, depending on how the wheel was oriented.

Tried the error code test w/digital meter. Couldn't determine results. Just bought an analog meter but havn't tried it yet. I"m not in "failure" mode at present and the weather in W.PA. doesn"t condone a long ride. I'll check the front sensor wire impedance again, wiggle the wire or maybe completly remove it. Thanks.

Dean, as Seth said, start by grabbing the ABS stored codes that might point you to the problem..

If not, then make darn sure the brake light switches are not sticking (even a little).. Then verify full operating voltage TO the ABS unit & a proper clean ground circuit (a little resistance in the wiring or ground can drive those things buggy)..

I presume the two dash lights flash together at key on,, then start to flash alternately as you ride away?. When do the lights start to flash alternately?. That could tell you when the fault is happening.. If before ride away it is possibly something in the ABS controller or a low voltage problem,, if it happens on ride away or shortly after it is possibly wheel sensor related..

Twisty

Thanks gentlemen, all good info. You've re-energized my attitude about finding this gremlin! I just know that it's probably something simple...your comments keep me focused!

By the way Twisty 1, lights go to alternating at ride-away. Flash together after start-up.

Dean, ride away is when the ABS controller does it’s final self check & sensor check so it kinda of sounds like it doesn’t find a fault at start up but does on ride away check so Seth’s front sensor wire is sure a possibility.. I’m not sure if it would catch a brake switch that is stuck on before ride away or not? Might verify that by starting with brake held on to see if it flashes both lights a start up with brake held on..

Twisty

I'm not sure that the ABS2 on the 1100 models even looks at the brake light switches.

Seth, that’s a good point.. I just checked my ABS2 wire diagram & you are correct it doesn’t have any brake switch inputs..

Twisty

Your symptoms are exactly what I had when the front ABS sensor on my bike went intermittenet. It was exactly as smiller describes it in his post. I read the codes and it indicated a front sensor and although the sensor checked out fine with a multimeter the fault cleared completely when I replaced it.

Same here for my 99RT.The ABS lights were on for months.After doing everything a million times,it was the front sensor. The gap was good and the ohms were fine.But when you removed the sensor from the bike and wiggled the wire,it failed.Replaced the sensor,and things are great.

same thing here 98 rt 60k.Bad wire on front sensor.Got some same gauge shielded wire from radio shack and soldered in new wire.With a little heat shrink tubing on it.Works like a charm.A lot less $$$ then a new one.

Archived