IGNORED

Empty shopping malls....

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

So weird !! Nina and I went shopping together to get some last-minute supplies and some 'deals' (I needed an electric heater for my office)....

Surprisingly the parking lots are empty everywhere. I knew people are spending less, but the last Friday for Christmas showing deserted mall parkings.... incredible! :(

Let's hope this changes around next year.... I have stuff to sell and nobody is buying !

John Ranalletta

Let's see if I understand this...

We moaned and groaned about wasteful, consumer borrowing and spending while lamenting the low savings rates in Western countries. Seems to me, we're getting what we wanted.

Stores are not busy here either.

So weird !! Nina and I went shopping together to get some last-minute supplies and some 'deals' . . .

You consider December 19th to be last minute?? There's your problem. :rofl:

Well, I hope that the Malls arn.t depending on me.... I'm single and my dog gets the Big Bag of Bones from the butcher as a holiday thank you for being a GOOD DOG.

My Bike?? New tires

Me??? If I am lucky.. an after holiday ride to Death Valley.

My friends??? A heartfelt and warm well wish for this coming year.

Tank---- No credit cards since 1970

...deserted mall parkings....

Not here, Bub.

I just got back from an errand to one of my clients' office. Had to ride by a major mall, & traffic to the exit ramps from the expressway were backed up for a quarter mile. :P

What recession. ne_nau.gif

I ordered a couple simple webcams from Best Buy last week... they were backordered. Huh? I thought we were in a recession, shouldn;t they have too much inventory?

"I hear you're all shopping for a new Governor as well."

We are definitely looking for a new governor and legislature. :cry: They prove themselves everyday to be totally inept and worthless.

Our mall forced out their tenants (I was particularly pissed about losing Pendleton and Euro Comfort shoes) and sold a tax deal to re-build the mall in the current style, to our stupid town council. The mall owner/developer just filed for bankruptcy and we now have Macy's, who owned their own building, and a mud hole.

OTOH, I went to buy bird seed today and that strip mall parking lot was completely full.

The mall here just lost Mervyn's and several tenants on the inside. No waiting to sit on Santa's lap. The stores that were open had anxious sales people looking around for non-existent customers. This cursory inspection doesn't look good for the local economy. The Costco was packed however.

This is the part of the season when, if I'm going to get you a Christmas present, it's going to come from Texico or the BP station. I don't do crowds.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not measuring the financial health of our economy by how many open parking spots there are at the mall. Clearly a myopic snapshot of one place in the world would not be a suitable barometer of this holiday spending. (I wasn't able to inspect how many people were shopping at Amazon)

Mike O

Southeast Texas is booming! I live in a shopping district and it takes me about 45 minutes to get home. I only live 10 miles from work.

Large-scale energy sector projects are pumping new life into the Beaumont-Port Arthur region.

About $15 billion in energy projects are underway, planned or being considered, according to the Southeast Texas Workforce Development Board

http://www.oilandgasnewsworldwide.com/bkArticlesF.asp?Article=25440&Section=3914&IssueID=535

Oil is King here.

...deserted mall parkings....

Not here, Bub.

I just got back from an errand to one of my clients' office. Had to ride by a major mall, & traffic to the exit ramps from the expressway were backed up for a quarter mile. :P

What recession. ne_nau.gif

dITTO - here in Dull Moan, AahWuh

Archived