IGNORED

R1200RT Front Wheel Removal

skyking96w

I did a search, but could not determine if this question has been asked -- is there a trick to removing the front wheel from a R1200RT without disassembling the brake calipers or removing the brake disks?

On my other bike, a R1200C, the front wheel is 18" diameter, so it is fairly simple. I can slide the brake caliper assemblies off the brake disks after removing the two mounting bolts. The 17" wheel of the RT does not leave enough room to do it this way.

Simply remove the caliper bolts then twist the calipers against the disc. This retracts the brake pads enough to remove the calipers. It is tight and many folk put a shop-rag between the caliper and wheel to avoid scratching the rim.

Andy

I just had my front tire off last week,added a mud flap ,I put a small jack under the motor,to take pressure of the tire,remove front beak from fender two screws each side, remove the axle pinch bolt then the axle,two bolts from each caliper slowly slide off disk really tight fit be careful roll tire out the front.

Pretty easy to remove as stated above. One thing to be very careful about though is the ABS sensor on the left side of the wheel. Be careful of the slotted disk as well as the small sensor mounted on the forks when you remove/replace the wheel. Double check the location of the sensor wire after you reinstall the wheel to insure it doesn't drag on any of the moving parts.

Boffin -- thanks. That's the info I needed. I was already well past the pinch bolt, axle, spacer, two-bolts-per-caliper stuff. I guess I didn't make that clear.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

• 4 months later...

OK,

I can remove the pinch bolts, take out the axel, slide the calipers side to side to loosen their grip, but I can't seem to be able to move the calipers out of the way to slide the wheel out.

They protrude into the wheel well, blocking going further. The tire is on the ground but moving it forward to clear the calipers seem to need to jack the bike up way too high, with the risk of tipping it over. Any suggestions what I am doing wrong?

You know, sometimes just writing it down will work you through it.

I figured it out and feel somewhat like a dunce, but I guess it's the proverbial learning curve.

Jim

OK,

I can remove the pinch bolts, take out the axel, slide the calipers side to side to loosen their grip, but I can't seem to be able to move the calipers out of the way to slide the wheel out.

They protrude into the wheel well, blocking going further. The tire is on the ground but moving it forward to clear the calipers seem to need to jack the bike up way too high, with the risk of tipping it over. Any suggestions what I am doing wrong?

If you already pulled the axle out and are now trying to remove the calipers from the rotors, you should have removed them while the axle was still in place. Dropping the wheel some after pulling the axle is the problem. Put the axle back in and try again--they do come out! Twist them a little around the rotors to spread the pads to give you some wiggle room.

When removing either wheel on the late BMW’s it is a good idea safety wise to use a ratchet strap (or rope) to tie the center stand to the bike so it can’t collapse.. More than a few BMW’s have been knocked over as the center stand flips up while pushing or pulling on the bike while removing a wheel..

Twisty

When removing either wheel on the late BMW’s it is a good idea safety wise to use a ratchet strap (or rope) to tie the center stand to the bike so it can’t collapse.. More than a few BMW’s have been knocked over as the center stand flips up while pushing or pulling on the bike while removing a wheel..

Twisty

+1. I did exactly that. I was so use to using race stands I started torquing on the rear wheel without a second thought. The bike tilted forward and rolled of the center stand. Fortunately a few friends were there to catch it. I felt like a total dumbA$$, but better than a hurt dumbA$$. ;)

Archived