IGNORED

You too can Void your Engine Warantee

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

After working for the past month with my excellent BMW dealer, BMW Motorrad has declined my warantte claim. My dealer determined that a scuffed piston was making a loud tapping noise on start up and it was probably not caused by an Oil-lubrication problem. When the tapping first started about 4-5 months ago, I was using Amsoil Motorcycle Oil and BMW filters for my R1200RT--and I had always used the correct (smaller) BMW R1200RT filters until my last oil change 1,200 miles ago. The last oil change I installed an Amsoil filter--left over from my R1150RT--and that was in place when I took my R1200RT in for Waranttee service. Based on using that filter--and nothing else--BMW has denied my claim. :cry:

You gave them the ammo and they loaded their gun and shot you with it.

Seems on par to me.

Sorry for your mishap but there was a simple way around this. It's called having a bmw filter around before going in for service.

You are not required to use a BMW-branded filter in order to maintain warranty coverage, as long as the filter you use is proper for the application. Does Amsoil list the filter as being correct for a 1200RT? If so then I'm not sure it is legal to deny you coverage simply because you were not using a BMW filter, BMW would have to demonstrate that it's the wrong filter and that it likely caused the damage. You might even find that Amsoil might assist you given that it would be a bad precedent for their (or any other manufacturer's) filter to be the cause of a summarily denied warranty claim. If Amsoil provides documentation indicating that the filter meets OEM requirements and BMW can't demonstrate otherwise I think you'd have a very good case in small claims court.

Of course if the filter is wrong for the application... then you're probably screwed...

After working for the past month with my excellent BMW dealer, BMW Motorrad has declined my warantte claim. My dealer determined that a scuffed piston was making a loud tapping noise on start up and it was probably not caused by an Oil-lubrication problem. When the tapping first started about 4-5 months ago, I was using Amsoil Motorcycle Oil and BMW filters for my R1200RT--and I had always used the correct (smaller) BMW R1200RT filters until my last oil change 1,200 miles ago. The last oil change I installed an Amsoil filter--left over from my R1150RT--and that was in place when I took my R1200RT in for Waranttee service. Based on using that filter--and nothing else--BMW has denied my claim. :cry:

Dick, you still might have a little leverage remaining..

First off do some research on BMW 1200 R/H side piston/cylinder failures,, then some legal research on how to file a claim in small claims court..

Not sure how to go about it but you might be able to request & get through your court case the BMW oil filter specs & get access to the records of BMW 1200 engine failure records.. I’m pretty sure BMW would rather settle with you than make the 1200 R/H side engine failure records public (hopefully anyhow).. You aren’t the only one with that type of 1200 engine failure..

I presume that if you have an oil filter related engine problem there are signs of oil related issues in other parts of the engine also? If not that must be one smart oil filter to only be able to only ruin one particular part of the engine & not the others..

Twisty

If they say it wasnt an oil related problem, then how can they deny you warranty becasue fo the oil filter? They already admitted that that wasnt the problem, so what was it caused by? I would use that as my ammo.

The original post also indicates that the problem existed prior to the installation of the non BMW oil filter, it just wasn't completely diagnosed until the oil filter change, as I read it anyway.

First thing I'd do is ask for the reason(s) for "denial" in writing from BMW USA. I'm assuming that all you have so far is merely a verbal explanation from someone at the dealership.

We do have a law against that in this country, I think it is the monroe law but when I googled it I did not find anything. The burden of proof is on BMW to prove the filter was the cause of the failure. Amsoil should be to assist and if their filter was the cause then they are responsible for the cost of the repair. You need to consult with an attorney, to fully use your rights. Often in small claims court the judge just 1/2's the verdict, you might have a better result with an attorney. Also read and Amsoil filter warranty, if it says all OEM warranty's remain valid, the the filter is listed for your application, you have a case. In any case just an hour of time with a lawyer who specialized in business law or warranty law is a good investment.

Good luck

Rod

I'm not sure what year your 12RT is, but the '06 warranty states that warranty service will be denied if:

Lack of Service: This includes, but is not limited to, damage attributable to failure to perform

maintenance services at the specified intervals or in accordance with the instructions in the Rider’s

Manual. Proof must be provided either by a paid invoice copy or filling in the appropriate boxes in

the Rider’s Manual.

Non-BMW Parts: Damage to a component or assembly due to the installation of replacement parts

with specifications that differ in any material respect from Original BMW parts.

If your records indicate you reported the problem prior to the suspect filter AND your maintenance records (including receipts) indicate you have previously used BMW filters, you may have the documentation to back your claim.

It really doesn't matter what they said, or what you said...it's all about what is documented.

I would be screwed because I am not a good records keeper. Lesson for me. Anyway, good luck!

the question remains, whats the difference betwwen the filter on an 1150 and 1200? I am pretty certain they dont take the same filter. However, like i said before, if they claim its not from an oil/lubrication issue then they need to privide the cause. They cant just cliam that becasue fo the different filter they wont warranty it. I would talk direct to the BMW rep that denied the claim and call BS to him and demand an explanation in person. So far from this thread there has been no justification mentioned related to the problem and I would call the rep on that.

Paul, yes that is probably going to be his biggest obstacle.. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits denying warranty claims based on using tie-in sales (basically their “BMW’s” parts or labor).. But it does also state “the warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for the product”..

Seeing as Amsoil doesn’t specifically list an oil filter for his motorcycle that doesn’t leave much wiggle room to work with..

Twisty

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV
I'm sure that a big piece of the problem is that AMSOIL does not list a filter for aplication in a BMW R1200RT.

Paul, you are right. I thought that since the R1150RT engine and the R1200RT engine were so similar, that it would be OK to use that filter--but that is the reason given by BMW why they rejected my Warantee claim. That certainly leaves the issue open as to others posting on this site that they use Mobil 1 filter, or Bosch, or several others. If BMW does not accept that it's equivalent then that could be the defining issue. Also, BMW questioned--Do I use Motorcycle Specific Oil, or CAR oil. All that's specified is "API grade SF or higher", but it does give them a reason to deny coverage.

The thing that distresses me is that my service manager indicated that it is highly likely the piston seized and it was not an oil issue, despite this assertion, BMW did not honor the warantee because of the filter. I do all my own maintenance and this is the 4th BMW I have owned and maintained--A '99 F650, a '97 R1100RT, a '02 R1150RT and now this '05 R1200RT. BMW wanted a copy of all the service I had done, and I keep detailed records, no problem. Then they wanted to know if the Amsoil Oil I use was Motorcycle specific--or CAR oil--it was Motorcycle specific. Then they wanted to know if I fill the Oil Filter before installing it--I told them I don't--the service manager checked that out and it's not a BMW requirement. Then they noted that the last filter I installed was an Amsoil filter for the R1150RT, but I put it on my R1200RT. They said, that does it, Warantee void--this even though I had always previously used the correct BMW filters and the clicking started about 4 months ago and gradually increased to a knocking. I can't PROVE when the clicking/knocking started, so much for that. I put the Amsoil filter on 6-weeks and 1200 miles before I took my bike in for Warantee repair.

Hate to say it but it sure sounds as if they somehow decided up front that this must have been some kind of oiling failure (vs. a fit/assembly issue) and then went on a hunt for information to back up their predetermined conclusion.

Dick,

That is just a crying shame !!! To set things straight, the Amsoil oil filter, and I believe you are referring to EaOM122 or EaOM122C, is also the filter for pre-06 k bikes as well, but not the newer K bikes. Yes, they do not offer one for the R1200RT or the R1200GS. I personally believe this to be because the BMW (or Mann) filter is shorter and does not pertain to how the filter works or whether it will work.

My recommendation, as others have said, is to contact a lawyer for assistance and if necessary, take them to court. If you can get the testimony of the dealer that you reported the problem prior to installing the filter, then BMW has no basis to deny your claim. I am confident that they have no basis now especially since it has already been identified that the problem isn't oil related.

Perhaps you can get amsoil to confirm the contents of the filter as it relates to the other filters that they sell for other R or K bikes. BMW is trying to play hardball because they simply don't want to cover it. If they are not challenged, they will get away with it...

This is the final straw for me. The R1200RT I have will be my last BMW.. I will not buy another. Too many reasons to look elsewhere.

Please keep us posted.. We will be rooting for you for sure!!!!

Hate to say it but it sure sounds as if they somehow decided up front that this must have been some kind of oiling failure (vs. a fit/assembly issue) and then went on a hunt for information to back up their predetermined conclusion.

I agree; someone made a decision. I've had issues such as this with cars, and rather than give up, took it up a level, beyond the person who denied the claim at the corporate level. I made certain to enlist the aid of my dealer's service manager. Eventually I got a $2,500 automatic transmission replaced under warranty. Don't give up, and I'd also say wait one on the attorney call; try one more time, above the person who denied the claim.

Good luck.

You would be amaized at what a certified letter or two can do! I had problems with an insurance denying claims. But once I started sending certified nasty grams with supporting documentation the checks started comming fast.

Dick,

I sure hope you can get some response to your assertion that the problem started months ago.

But, that is a two sided sword.

If there was a problem, why use that filter.

(Not attacking you, playing Devil's Advocate).

And, in another thread, people asked if BMWNA monitors this site.

Perhaps they do, and perhaps all the posting about using this and that (non BMW) as an alternative has led to an "official" position relating to products not specifically designed for the beemer.

Don't know.

Anyway, again, best wishes for some goodwill sent your way.

Perhaps they do, and perhaps all the posting about using this and that (non BMW) as an alternative has led to an "official" position relating to products not specifically designed for the beemer.

Yes, perhaps we should halt all such discussions.

First, let me say that I've been employed by a European auto manufacturer for the past 25 years. Most of that time I've been in the field as a service rep (I'm currently a field service engineer).

Reading this thread FWIW it sounds like an over zealous rep is involved - possibly a CGIT (college graduate in training) that thinks he's saving the company by denying a claim.

Believe me when I say that denying warranty is a big deal. Courts will hold corporate feet to the fire when they deny warranty and they had better have airtight reasons for doing so.

If I were in this position, I'd take this issue up the corporate ladder where more experienced, cooler heads can have a look at what's going on and consider the possible implications. More than likely it would be covered and everyone gets on with life.

First, let me say that I've been employed by a European auto manufacturer for the past 25 years. Most of that time I've been in the field as a service rep (I'm currently a field service engineer).

Reading this thread FWIW it sounds like an over zealous rep is involved - possibly a CGIT (college graduate in training) that thinks he's saving the company by denying a claim.

Believe me when I say that denying warranty is a big deal. Courts will hold corporate feet to the fire when they deny warranty and they had better have airtight reasons for doing so.

If I were in this position, I'd take this issue up the corporate ladder where more experienced, cooler heads can have a look at what's going on and consider the possible implications. More than likely it would be covered and everyone gets on with life.

I'll add to Koop's suggestion: be calm and courteous, not angry. I find one of the most effective sentences I can use in situations like this is "I really need your help, I have a problem that I think is a mistake, and I need an advocate in your company." Or words to that effect.

I used to doe the head exploding thing, figuratively pounding the desk, but eventually realized it was counterproductive...not implying the OP has exacerbated the situation.

Don_Eilenberger

I'll add one more comment, on the suggestion of contacting an attorney.

Don't. Yet.

Once an attorney is involved that's the end of settling it amicably. BMW will contact their attorneys, and from then on - all contact will be through the attorneys.

Attorney should be the last-chance, not something to brandish as a threat. BMW has a bunch more money to pay them than anyone on this forum.

How nice that people are suggesting trying to work it out w/out the drama.

At least for now.

I agree and wish you success.

I do wonder if "they" have data about any purported R side issues and non-OEM filters?

Just wondering...

There may have been an instance of the right cylindar going out on AZKomet's 1200RT about a month or so ago. I don't know the specifics of his failure, but you may want to ping him. Perhaps his failure, if similar to yours, will show some kind of pattern that can be used in your claim.

ProductUser

How nice that people are suggesting trying to work it out w/out the drama.

At least for now.

I agree and wish you success.

I do wonder if "they" have data about any purported R side issues and non-OEM filters?

Just wondering...

I don't know Tim, I agree with you. What's the world coming to?

Looking at the OP, without further information I find it hard to understand how the filter affected the piston. Piston slap and galling of the piston surface is usually a clearance related problem.

The cylinder is mainly lubricated by oil which is forced past the big end bearings and flung into the cylinder by the spinning crankshaft. If the oil filter somehow impeded the flow of oil, the rod bearings would surely be damaged. A scuffed piston would be the least of the worries if it was insufficient oil pressure/flow.

Looking at the OP, without further information I find it hard to understand how the filter affected the piston.

Piston "slap" can occur when a piston overheats and the skirts become weakened. How can a piston over heat? Oil starvation. How do I know? Because it happened on my on 1977 R100/7. Rear main seal blew while I was riding at high speed and I did not know until I heard the noise. How can an oil filter cause this. Well if the filter installed has too low of a flow rate then the engine can be starved for oil. The originator of this thread had an Amsoil filter which was designed for the R1150/1100 series motor. He claims the slap started before running this filter but took the bike in only after putting on an aftermarket filter he knew was meant for a different motor. Huh? What would compell a person to do such a thing?

Were I in BMW's position I would do exactly what they are. Deny the warranty claim. Oil starvation can cause a cylinder and piston to overheat which can cause the piston skirt to collapse which will cause a piston to slap into the cylinder wall. Finally, the bottom end of my '77 /7 was not damaged. Only the piston and cylinder wall was damaged. In the case of the bottm end it does not completely rely on the oil flow through the filter for lubrication. The bottom end is down where the oil sump is. The pistons and heads do rely on the oil being pumped through the motor which of course must go through the filter. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the bottom of the pistons in the hexhead are actually sprayed with oil for additional cooling.

That being said I have no clue if the piston failure was caused by an improper filter, by a defect or too little oil. Had the bike been taken in with a BMW approved filter I do not think BMW would be denying the claim.

That being said I have no clue if the piston failure was caused by an improper filter, by a defect or too little oil.

No, you don't, and without further analysis either does BMW. Yet both of you are happy to deny the claim on mere suspicion.

That being said I have no clue if the piston failure was caused by an improper filter, by a defect or too little oil.

No, you don't, and without further analysis either does BMW. Yet both of you are happy to deny the claim on mere suspicion.

Frankly, the OP gave them an easy out. Coming in with an unapproved oil filter was like throwing bloody meat in front of a shark. Are any of you really shocked?

As I mentioned previously...oil starvation should be evident in the rod bearings. The rods and/or cam bearings usually show signs of oil starvation first. If no oil is reaching the cylinder walls, then no oil is present in the big end rod bearings.

Yes, if there was low oil pressure caused by an incorrect filter (or any other reason) damage would likely be evident in places beyond a single cylinder wall. Plus the fact that it's rather improbable for such a condition to be caused by an oil filter in good condition as long as it was even remotely correct for the application, specified or not. If we are being told all the facts this seems to be a simple case of a manufacturer looking for an excuse to get out of a warranty repair. And no, that doesn't surprise me as people behave badly sometimes, but it's still wrong.

We are all just speculating here of course, we don't know if the damage is more extensive or if there are other unrevealed factors, but if BMW did deny the claim simply because an Amsoil filter was in place or that the owner didn't use 'motorcycle specific' oil (etc.) then that's, well... BS.

Looking at the OP, without further information I find it hard to understand how the filter affected the piston.

Piston "slap" can occur when a piston overheats and the skirts become weakened. How can a piston over heat? Oil starvation. How do I know? Because it happened on my on 1977 R100/7. Rear main seal blew while I was riding at high speed and I did not know until I heard the noise. How can an oil filter cause this. Well if the filter installed has too low of a flow rate then the engine can be starved for oil. The originator of this thread had an Amsoil filter which was designed for the R1150/1100 series motor. He claims the slap started before running this filter but took the bike in only after putting on an aftermarket filter he knew was meant for a different motor. Huh? What would compell a person to do such a thing?

Were I in BMW's position I would do exactly what they are. Deny the warranty claim. Oil starvation can cause a cylinder and piston to overheat which can cause the piston skirt to collapse which will cause a piston to slap into the cylinder wall. Finally, the bottom end of my '77 /7 was not damaged. Only the piston and cylinder wall was damaged. In the case of the bottm end it does not completely rely on the oil flow through the filter for lubrication. The bottom end is down where the oil sump is. The pistons and heads do rely on the oil being pumped through the motor which of course must go through the filter. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the bottom of the pistons in the hexhead are actually sprayed with oil for additional cooling.

That being said I have no clue if the piston failure was caused by an improper filter, by a defect or too little oil. Had the bike been taken in with a BMW approved filter I do not think BMW would be denying the claim.

Yeah, sure... How funny it is that the exact same filter is designed to be used for the r1150, and k bikes. But, it is sooooo different that it will not work for the r1200rt...

The stock filter is shorter so that it will not stick out and be exposed to debris... The same filter formula is used on all other amsoil filters .... This is just BMW trying to avoid honoring warranty..

This is just BMW trying to avoid honoring warranty..

Which is completely within their rights to do so.

Dick made a choice that resulted in some unpleasant results.

So he may have learned the hard way with money out of pocket to repair.

That's life.

Well let's hope your're right and something good happens for a change.

I'm going to continue breathing though as I've never been a fan of holding my breath. :wave:

If the filter was not compatible with the R1200RT even though it is prescribed for both oil heads and "K" bikes, I believe we would have heard of other problems with using an amsoil filter with the R1200RT. After all, the bike has been around for 4 model years... Amsoil is not a rare filter choice. Especially since they are constantly taughting their "12K Oil Change Guarantee" if you use their filter and oil...

I have two of them left over from my '03 LT that haven't been used. Just didn't have the correct filter wrench for them. Amsoil provides a very inexpensive oil filter wrench for them ... Didn't get it yet.

Hard to believe that this filter would be a problem with hexheads but it works fine (like other filters do) with K bikes and other oilheads .....

I'd be interested in knowing amsoils position on it.

How funny it is that the exact same filter is designed to be used for the r1150, and k bikes. But, it is sooooo different that it will not work for the r1200rt...

I have no idea if the taller oilhead filter is or is not compatible. Because BMW says use filter I do.

BMW is in the motorcycle business to make money. A bike under warranty shows up with a slapping piston and a filter installed not listed for the hexhead, well... duh. If you are expecting BMW (or any other manufacturer) in a case like this not to deny the warranty claim you are delusional. Because the owner had this unauthorized filter on the bike when BMW opened it up to find a failed piston the warranty is voided. It no longer matters whether the filter caused it or not.

I maintained my own bike while under warranty and I used only BMW approved replacement parts. I did the services and inspections when required and I documented everything. It simply isn't worth it to cut corners on things like oil filters, spark plugs, etc when doing your own maintenance. If you do and you do have a problem you may well have trouble getting a warranty claim through.

How funny it is that the exact same filter is designed to be used for the r1150, and k bikes. But, it is sooooo different that it will not work for the r1200rt...

I have no idea if the taller oilhead filter is or is not compatible. Because BMW says use filter I do.

BMW is in the motorcycle business to make money. A bike under warranty shows up with a slapping piston and a filter installed not listed for the hexhead, well... duh. If you are expecting BMW (or any other manufacturer) in a case like this not to deny the warranty claim you are delusional. Because the owner had this unauthorized filter on the bike when BMW opened it up to find a failed piston the warranty is voided. It no longer matters whether the filter caused it or not.

I maintained my own bike while under warranty and I used only BMW approved replacement parts. I did the services and inspections when required and I documented everything. It simply isn't worth it to cut corners on things like oil filters, spark plugs, etc when doing your own maintenance. If you do and you do have a problem you may well have trouble getting a warranty claim through.

Sad that you have to point this out. 100% correct but this info will never be accepted. Stand by for the arrows. :lurk:

Even though I don't like it, I honestly can't disagree with the comment even though I have been playing the Devil's Advocate here.

The real problem is that there is a great deal of knowledge and intelligence in the BMW community, many owners work on their own bike, and we are not comfortable just blindly following without emperical data from the manufacturer explaining their position of what they use in OEM and why.

Obviously the mentality of BMW isn't compatible with this position. And, I for one am not one to just say "OK, i'll do what you say" even though I don't understand why.

Being the fact that my R1200Rt is out of warranty, I can make that decision. But, am I taking a real risk using a non-oem oil filter rather then a BMW filter?? Say for instance the Amsoil or Purolator that calsci recommends???

I would really like to know.... It isn't really about a few bucks to me but what is the best filter? I was under the impression that both are superior to the BMW filter.

One would think that it would be in Amsoil's interest to publish a comparison test of this filter vs the OEM filter, although this would take to long to be of any value in this particular warranty dispute. Legally, BMW's position may be correct, but it seems part of a long history of differing perspectives on reality; e.g., there is no R1100 surging problem, there is no reliability problem with final drives.

"But, am I taking a real risk using a non-oem oil filter rather then a BMW filter?? Say for instance the Amsoil or Purolator that calsci recommends???"

I had 170K miles on a R1100RT, 70K miles on a R1150R, and now 60K miles on my current R1200GS, using mostly the Purolator L10241. I don't think there is a risk using a non-BMW oil filter. Even with the very popular but much maligned standard Fram filters, of apparent visual lower quality, there is no information thread of engine failures.

Dick, if you are relying on the dealer telling you that BMW denied the claim, consider that dealers don't like some extensive warranty jobs as the mfgr. tends to pay a set fee to the dealer to fix it, which often doesn't cover the real labor involved. So be sure you speak directly with BMWNA and read up on the Magnuson-Moss act prior to doing so. A quick internet search on "BMW Magnuson" will turn up many cases of individuals being screwed over by NA. And there are lawyers who will handle the case at no charge to you--the mfgr. must pay. Good luck and keep us informed. :wave:

It no longer matters whether the filter caused it or not.

I don't know what's so difficult for people to understand about this aspect of the law but a manufacturer cannot summarily deny a warranty claim based on any excuse they can find. In the eyes of a court it certainly will matter 'whether the filter caused it or not.' And BMW knows this, and hopefully the OP can get to someone at a management level with some sense so as to avoid having to go that far.

I believe the issue here is not the use of the Amsoil filter Paul. I believe the issue is the use of the Amsoil filter intended for use in the R1150/1100 series motors. Now I know of the physical difference between the oilhead filter but I don't know what other internal differences there may be. There could be more that got changed inside that we are not aware of. Maybe not. I don't know. Because of this the only filter that will go on my bike is one the filter maker says is ok for my bike.

Why am I being playing devil's advocate here? Because I am suspicious of the thread originator's story. He said the bike was making the unusual noise BEFORE putting on the oilhead filter. Bike is knocking loudly so you change the filter and put one on you know is for the older oilhead motors? Then you take it to the dealer? There is no logical reason for this. If my bike starts making a knocking noise that clearly was not there before I stop and get it to the dealer. Right away. I would imagine BMW has come to the same conclusion I have based on the available facts. The owner performed his maintenance, installed the oilhead filter and rode the bike for a period of time after which it developed the knocking which turned out to be the piston slapping. Then he brought the bike in right away forgetting he had replaced the filter with the oilhead filter. Dealer sees wrong filter on the bike, red flag goes up, game over.

The moral of the story is if you are going to work on your own bike while it is under warranty you had better get the official manual and follow it religiously. Oh, and if you should encounter a drive train problem be prepared for BMW to give you a hard time anyway, even if you follow the book and document everything. Owners doing their own work is not good business for dealers and warranty work means no money for BMW so even if you do follow the conditions of the warranty they may give a hard time. Do something like put a filter for the R1150 on your R1200, experience an engine problem and you are guaranteed a hard time with your warranty claim.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I may be wrong here, but isn't there a bypass mechanism to permit the required lube flow rate/pressure to reach the engine components, even when the filter is too restrictive? That is to say, if the filter is too small/too clogged, some of the oil doesn't get filtered, but all of it gets circulated to the engine components...

Anyone know for sure?

Archived