IGNORED

tire cost waddya think

taters

i just got a call from the dealership that my pilot road 2 were in. so i went in and had them put on. i also brought with me a coupon for 25% off on the service... i also told the service manager that the bulb had gone out on my speedometer and odometer..i asked how much to replace it . he said 1/2 labor and the price of the bulb. i said forget it .. i went to the cashier to pay for the tires ..total cost with the 25% discount $498!!!!! waddya guys think? and no one tell me to install the tires myself....i can't even hang a picture

I think I'd need to stand up for a while.

:)

Sorry, that wasn't too helpful :). To get an idea of the premium you're paying, look at the prices at SW Moto or Derby Cycles, call other MC shops for mounting prices, etc.

Or find a nearby forum member with tire equipment and buy them a six-pack of their favorite beverage. I'm not exactly next-door, but I'd be happy to help you! :)

Do you feel you paid too much?

Did you ask for a quote before you placed the order?

Since you asked what we think... I think you purchased a tire(s) and had it installed at a price and you paid.

Pretty simple.

I don't know what model bike you ride (it would help) but MSRP on a 120/70x17 PR2 front is $199.95 and for a 180/55x17 PR2 rear $249.95, for a total of $449.90.

I don't know what model bike you ride (it would help) but MSRP on a 120/70x17 PR2 front is $199.95 and for a 180/55x17 PR2 rear $249.95, for a total of $449.90.

And labor of an hour to remove, mount, balance, reinstall.

Not everyone lives near one of the large rubber discounters and tires haven't gotten cheaper when gas prices fell.

Nice n Easy Rider

And labor of an hour to remove, mount, balance, reinstall.

Not everyone lives near one of the large rubber discounters and tires haven't gotten cheaper when gas prices fell.

tallman,

Is that 1 hour per tire on the labor?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I think you need to befriend SageRider. He's a nice guy, I think he has tire changing stuff, and he's not "too" far away from you.

BTW, I regularly take shipments of tire for my friends at my house, then they set up an appt. to come and use the equipment.

As a motorcycling mentor of mine once told me: "I don't buy high performance tires, because I am not out there high-performing." (I don't think she was advocating Taiwan cheapies).

If you just drive the speed limit on public roadways, then there are lots of suitable tires out there for a lot less dough. My local shop mounts 'em for free if I show up with the wheels already off the bike. There's lots of ways to save a few bucks with minimal effort....

I shop around, and , on the 'net for tires. Buy 'um. Take rims off, go a few miles down the road to the local Honda dealer. He mounts and balances them for 30 some-odd $ and I go home and put them on the bike. :wave::lurk:

I do all my own using SWMototires but on a recent trip to Alaska, I paid $532 for a pair of TKC80s mounted and ballanced. They wouldn't even let me take my wheels off in the parking lot so it included all labor. In that part of the country you have few alternatives so my only response was "thank you".

$449.90 plus tax, that is. Or, for reference, $115.95 and $143.95 at SW Moto Tire, for a total of $259.90. The difference in one set of tires would pay for tire changing equipment. If you don't want to mess with changing tires yourself that's understandable, I guess I don't really like doing it myself... but making $100/hour while doing it lessens the displeasure somewhat... ;)

That sounds like a good price mounted. Wouldn't be if you added 25% next time. +1 for checking on SW Moto prices (one of the places I tend to buy mine along with Americanmototire.com).

I shop around, and , on the 'net for tires. Buy 'um. Take rims off, go a few miles down the road to the local Honda dealer. He mounts and balances them for 30 some-odd $ and I go home and put them on the bike. :wave::lurk:

LOL One of the reasons I started doing my own is the Honda cited "insurance" as a reason to not mount ANY tire they did not sell.

Oh well, 100% of something beats 100% of nothing (which they ended up getting)

Not being a smart ass in any way, but have to ask this question. Did you ask the price before you said OK? If not, I think the price is about right.

russell_bynum

$449.90 plus tax, that is. Or, for reference, $115.95 and $143.95 at SW Moto Tire, for a total of $259.90. The difference in one set of tires would pay for tire changing equipment. If you don't want to mess with changing tires yourself that's understandable, I guess I don't really like doing it myself... but making $100/hour while doing it lessens the displeasure somewhat... ;)

I do my own tires because of the convenience, but when I was getting the shop to do it, I once showed them a printout from one of the tire places on the internets and asked if they could get close...they did, so they got my business.

It never hurts to ask.

OTOH, If you don't ask what it's going to cost beforehand, you're telling them you don't care what it costs.

Ouch!

That sounds like a 100% mark-up w/o the coupon.

I can get the same tires from SW for about $260, and have them installed for $20 ea. if I bring the wheels off the bike.

Or I can ride a little and install them myself.

But, if you don't ask beforehand, you give up all your negotiating power, so just pucker up and chuck it to learning for next time.

Best.

I think that is an outrageous price - but whatever the market will bear is the price.

I buy tires for my ST1300 at a local Honda dealer and I pay about $280 mounted and out the door for Avon Storms, a high performance sport touring tire. For comparison they quoted this last time $330 out the door for Michelin Pilot Road 2's and $310 for Metzeler Z6's. I like the Avons though this is the 4th set. They also will mount tires on my R100 at $160 for Bridgestone S-11's and quoted me $180 for Avon RoadRiders about a month ago. They will not mount a tire they don't sell however.

Last week I bought a new Michelin M62 Gazelle rear for the C70 for $20 but I'll mount it myself by hand. Same Honda dealer.

That is what we pay over here in Aussie $$ for Road2's, about $480-%530 fitted (they R&R wheels) to the bike. Seems we don't get the bad deals we always think we get here, but then again as others have said, I think you blokes over there can get them for much less than what you have just paid....

Lots of shops here are just like over there it seems when it comes to mounting tyres they didn't sell to you. They either refuse to do it, or they charge up to $40 each rim if they R&R the wheels from the bike, or say $15 each rim if you take them just the wheels, but most don't like mounting something someone else made the profit on when selling the tyre to you.

i gOT two new Avons on my Sprint and mounted and balanced for $310.00...

rode the bike to the shop they did all labor.

(note not a BMW dealership - the wrench DID own a BMW dealership some years ago and has done marvelous work on my Beemers over the years.

Perhaps you find a different dealer/shop.?

i bought 2 tires from sw moto and took them to a yamaha dealer.....he did not torque them to the correct specifications and screwed up the whole back end...cost $2300 i took him to small claims court and recovered the $2300. i had the service manager from las vegas bmw go to court with me or i probably would not have won. luckily i was not killed on the bike. so i only visit bmw dealerships from that time on

Ouch, that's a pretty interesting experience. GLad it worked out, and kudos to LV BMW for backing you up.

Seems like given your experiences, your options are limited to:

1. Continue to pay $500+ at the BMW dealer for PR2s

2. Find some less expensive tires at same dealer

3. Learn to R&R your own wheels, buy tires online and...

- a. Take them (loose) to another dealer for tire mounting.

- b. Mount them yourself (or at a friend's)

Although you've stated your feelings about 3-B, it is the answer that many of us come up with. I'd wager that #1 and #2 are similarly popular.

Dave in Doodah

Not to press but, the first time you mount your own tires and take a ride, it feels pretty darned good. Even more satisfying than hanging a picture.

Archived