Question - Upgraded software needed?

BeemerLover

I was at my BMW MOA meeting this week and mentioned to the local dealer's service manager that I need to bring my '07 RT in to have the EWS ring replaced (My vin is in the range to be replaced) but also to have the software upgraded to the latest version. He asked some questions (Problem with the bike? Gas gauge working OK? Knocking?) I said no. He said that upgrading to the latest software is often not needed, that if the bike is running well not to mess with it. He said upgrades often do not take well.

Does this make sense? Should I press him to upgrade anyway?

Thanks, Gael

Gael, not all riders have been happy with some of the software iterations.. Plus the service manager is correct in saying that sometimes the new software doesn’t go in very well..

If you have a specific problem that a new programming level will address then you have your answer.. But if all is working well now why do you want to update?

One thing to ask; I don’t know this for a fact but some dealers are saying once a new computer flash is installed they can’t go back to the old one.. If this is true & you don’t like the results of the update then you are kind of SOL.. Be sure to ask if it can be put back if you don’t like it..

Twisty

If you're happy with the way the bike's running, I'd leave well enough alone. I, too, have heard that, once updated, you cannot revert to the previous iteration. As suggested, you should confirm that.

While I in general agree with the if it ain’t broke don’t fix it philosophy, I will say that at this point the software is pretty well sorted out on the hexheads, and there are some rideablity and mileage performances to be gained. But – your bike, your call.

My dealer kinda, sorta, did it anyway. Initially I was pleased with the result - more power and smoothness, but the bike has pretty much reverted to how it ran before.

Except for the pinging. The motor would sound like a rattle can under wide open throttle acceleration, and that went away. I'm happy about that. I'm currently experiencing crummy mileage, but I suspect it's related to the gasoline and the weather (this is already covered in another thread.)

My dealer kinda, sorta, did it anyway. Initially I was pleased with the result - more power and smoothness, but the bike has pretty much reverted to how it ran before.

Except for the pinging. The motor would sound like a rattle can under wide open throttle acceleration, and that went away. I'm happy about that. I'm currently experiencing crummy mileage, but I suspect it's related to the gasoline and the weather (this is already covered in another thread.)

MT, you are not the only one with a fuel mileage difference after the latest update.. Two people I know both with early 08 RT’s have experience the same mileage drop after the computer update.. Not sure it is totally related but the decrease appeared after the update..

Lets see,, no more rattle under acceleration so that means either more fuel to richen the mixture or spark pulled out.. Neither will add to the fuel economy that is a given..

Twisty

Makes sense I guess. But I would expect the extra fuel to be added during transient acceleration conditions, not necessarily in steady state cruise. I would expect the O2 sensor feedback loop to adjust accordingly.

Thanks Twisty and others. The bike runs well, no pinging, gas gauge works like it should, etc. I think I'll just leave it alone.

Gael

Does this software have anything to do with the fuel guage? My 07 GSA is way off. at full it reads full, at 180 miles it reads one bar, should be just under half (8.7gal tank) can this be adjusted? drives me nuts...

Does this software have anything to do with the fuel guage? My 07 GSA is way off. at full it reads full, at 180 miles it reads one bar, should be just under half (8.7gal tank) can this be adjusted? drives me nuts...

If it's like the R12RT, the fuel guage can be re-calibrated by the dealer. My low fuel warning was coming on way too early when I first bought the bike; the dealer re-calibrated it and it has worked fine since. It takes a while as they have to empty the tank and dry off the sensor strip etc.

As mentioned, presuming the strip is good, this is a calibration issue (which the dealer can do) not specifically a software version issue.

Archived