IGNORED

Installation of of mirco switch

RevRay

Fellow enthusiasts I’m looking to mount a micro switch on my handle bars, to activate laser beams. Ok strobe lights, the type you see on many emergency / construction

Vehicles when depressed the lights activate when released the lights deactivate. A simple on off switch. Has anyone mounted a switch in the housing of the stock handlebar switches? An incident where I thought for sure the other driver was looking at me, pulled directly in front me. (Practice emergency stops). I will be ordering said strobe kit from CT. based company Whalen. I do realize that white strobes on front of my moto many be considered illegal, something I’ll take up with the judge if necessary. Any and all ideas will be welcomed.

If you beat me to the punch! :mad:

I'M doing that too! I'm puting in a wig wag on my big boy lights. As for the switch I know where mine is going and it will be steath and will require no drilled holes and is in imediate reach on left hand side without removing hand from bar.

I just like to mess with stuff since people in LA don't look up long enough from their text messaging while driving to notice much anyway.

Fellow enthusiasts I’m looking to mount a micro switch on my handle bars, to activate laser beams. Ok strobe lights, the type you see on many emergency / construction

Vehicles when depressed the lights activate when released the lights deactivate. A simple on off switch. Has anyone mounted a switch in the housing of the stock handlebar switches? An incident where I thought for sure the other driver was looking at me, pulled directly in front me. (Practice emergency stops). I will be ordering said strobe kit from CT. based company Whalen. I do realize that white strobes on front of my moto many be considered illegal, something I’ll take up with the judge if necessary. Any and all ideas will be welcomed.

Ray, why not just use the horn button to trip a relay for the safety lights.. I do that on my wife’s car,, that is hook the high beam lights to the horn circuit with a relay so when she honks the horn the high beams flash.. Just a touch of the horn button & you have your “I’m right here” lights..

Twisty

ShovelStrokeEd

You will need a relay in any case. None of the small switches available will handle the current drawn by a set of driving lights, especially if you are using them in some sort of strobe mode. In fact, the relay itself will probably fail in fairly short order. Inrush current to unheated filaments is quite high.

I really don't see this as a good idea anyway. All too often, a motorist will perceive the flash of the lights as a signal to go.

I really don't see this as a good idea anyway. All too often, a motorist will perceive the flash of the lights as a signal to go.

And allow me to speak as an expert on flashing lights, etc., they ain't gonna move anyway. Don't waste your time. My fire engine is DEFINITELY bigger than you and if you think these lights help, you're fooling yourself with a very false sense of security!!

And let's not forget the multiple sirens and horns I have also!!!

why not just use the horn button to trip a relay that is hook the high beam lights to the horn circuit with a relay so when she honks the horn the high beams flash.. Just

The actual usefulness of the concept aside (ala fire trucks) I like this idea! I see (yet) another relay in my GS’s future!

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

re: twisty: why not just use the horn button to trip a relay for the safety lights..

re: phil: flashing lights, etc., they ain't gonna move anyway. Don't waste your time.

re: ken: I like this idea!

must be a canadian thing - i loved twisty's idea too. :thumbsup:

maybe twisty is a closet canadian!?!? ;)

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments.

Twisty - your idea to utilize horn button to activate strobes, I like which will keep the OEM look. I might be able to utilize high beam light switch the momentary side. I’ll sleep on this.

Phil – Your concern for my motorcycling safety is touching and I thank you for it. I learned all about big red fire trucks and there flashings lights when I became MSF rider coach. My question is how many incidents were avoided because of flashing lights

on said trucks? Be conspicuous.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments.

Twisty - your idea to utilize horn button to activate strobes, I like which will keep the OEM look. I might be able to utilize high beam light switch the momentary side. I’ll sleep on this.

Please post back with your decision/method and results.

Archived