IGNORED

R 1150 GS misfires

Reutens

Hi guys,

My friend brought around his R 1150 GS, which was misifiring badly at around 3500 rpm, we changed the spark plus, checked and adjusted the TBS, checked the wiring (what could be seen) all sockets noted to be secure, but it still misfires and can hardly run after 3500 rpm, any ideas, what's causing it.

It was also diffcult to start, the battery which was replaced recently with a BMW dry battery, was noted to be very low on power, I wonder if it could be a battery problem, guys, anyone can help.

Thanks in advance.

Reutens

Reutens, lots of possibilities on this one..

Could be low system voltage at the coil ( what is the system voltage when the problem is occurring?) Put a battery charger on it for a while then re-try the 3500 run up..

Could be low fuel pressure or plugged fuel filter (worth checking anyhow)

Could be degraded sparkplug wires..

Could be TPS problem (check & track the TPS voltage)

Could be plugged fuel injector screens..

Could be a pinched or restricted fuel line or hose..

If the problem appeared after a fuel fill up maybe water in fuel..

A long shot but you should check engine compression..

Another long shot but possibly a plugged catalytic converter (you can test for excess back pressure at 02 bung)..

Maybe check air intake system (like air filter) for restriction..

If you can define the problem & when it started a little better maybe we can give a more precise place to start..

Twisty

Hi Twisty,

We will be charging and replacing the bttery with a spare battery, late on, the fuel injectors were pulled, and were found to be spurting satisfactory, the air-way were checked and found clear, will be checking the fuel to see if it was contaminated with water, as it was raining heavily these few weeks, No Catalytic converter, wondering about the plug cables and ignition coil, now.

Rgs

Reutens

Just wondering is the 1150 plug cables the same as the R 1100, I could interchange my R 1100 gs cable with the 1150 and see if it works.

Rgs

Reutens

Two spark bikes have the same plugs. If he has a 4 spark, then a stick coil is probably the culprit. If a 4 spark, start the bike, and pull the lower plug wire on one side and see how it runs. Repeat on other side. If it dies, the stick coil on that side is bad.

If not 4 plug, it could be a bad coil. Also could be a throttle cable not properly seated in the knurled adjuster next to the TB.

If the bike does have stick coils, that's the first thing I would check like flars says. Next, I would check the oil temperature sensor and its wiring. I remember reading a thread about similar symptoms, where the culprit turned out to be a bad oil temp sensor.

Just wondering is the 1150 plug cables the same as the R 1100, I could interchange my R 1100 gs cable with the 1150 and see if it works.

On the two spark 1150 yes, on the four spark 1150 no. (They are longer to reach the lower plugs.)

Archived