IGNORED

Anyone know anything about this?

Matts_12GS

Hearing Health

I saw the ad in owner's news and I wasn't quite ready to dump $100 on 3 months worth to see if it will do anything for my tinnitus. Any audiologists or customers out there? Is this really just snake oil?

Dave McReynolds

Keep us advised if it looks like it will really work. I'm sure there's lots of us that could use it. Chances are 9 out of 10 that it's either snake oil or just GP vitamins, though.

Most likely the same as this. But this stuff is only 25 bucks for 100ct.

I have the ring too.

I think I'll ask my wife's sister first as she is a audiologist. I'm sure she will quickly dismiss this stuff as quackery.

Tinnitis is a HUGE and common problem. If there were a cure as simple as "take this supplement," everyone would already know.

The likelihood of this being snake oil is almost 100%.

that was kind of my thoughts too. I've had the ring for 20 some years, and I have a hard time believing it would be so simple. Maybe it's good, maybe not, but even so, it's cheaper and easier to use than hearing aids.

Matt,

If you follow their links, and put the references into Google, you will get to a summary (their own) of the research efforts on the stuff. It is an anti-oxidant formulation. The research that they cite on the tinnitus page is all about treating post-injury soldiers by reducing/controlling inflammatory response to acute traumatic injury, e.g. reducing ongoing damage from an injury during the the healing process. There is no research cited there that would support the idea that this product would help cure chronic hearing loss. The Ear Foundation cited has a web page but so far as I can see it is just a front for selling products. I didn't see any reason to think this is in any sense a "Foundation" in the way you were intended to think.

Googling a few of their cites as listed in their pages did not lead to any external validation of the research claims.

So what you have is:

1. A claim to help with tinnitus that is in no way supported by even their own research claims.

2. No way to validate their research claims in any event, highly unusual I might add.

3. A claim of validation by what seems to be a sham foundation.

Draw your own conclusions.

Yep, that was pretty much what I was thinking.

My hearing injury is in part from long exposures to loud sources, jets, heavy equipment, shipboard living, lousy bar bands, PA systems, and then finally 10 or so years of riding various kinds of bikes.

Oh well...

Francois_Dumas

Wish it were true. Have had tinnitus for about 14 years now and sometimes it gets REALLY annoying. But my father has it too and the doc says nothing can be done about it..... Shazbah !!

Snake oil is my bet too... :(

CoarsegoldKid
Yep, that was pretty much what I was thinking.

My hearing injury is in part from long exposures to loud sources, jets, heavy equipment, shipboard living, lousy bar bands, PA systems, and then finally 10 or so years of riding various kinds of bikes.

Oh well...

I don't know if what I hear would be considered a ringing, more like I hear water running through pipes in an old house. I attribute the condition to a Jethro Tull concert at the Santa Monica Civic in 1971. I was much too close to a wall of speakers but my mind didn't know it. Riding without hearing protection must have also contributed. Now days I wear the ear protection and mostly hear the water run instead of the wind. :dopeslap:

There's a good explanation of tinnitus here. It makes it fairly clear why supplements won't have much of an effect. Once the little hair cells are damaged, there's no going back.

It's possible that, where stress is a factor, that any relaxing properties in a supplement may help.

I worked with some very good hearing clinicians and music programs designed to loosen and re-educate the bones and muscles of the ear in cases where there were emotional reasons for loss of perception. I saw some amazing results but never a cure for tinnitus. I did hear reports of partial relief where muscle atrophy and emotional factors were involved.

That looks and sounds really interesting. Some of its strengths seem to be some suggestion of usage by military and or NASA.

Then again, I know of things in the supplemental and vaccine categories that were approved for military that ended up being harmful. So that endorcement can be taken either way. This quotes

Since Hearing Health is a complete daily supplement, no other additional daily vitamins should be taken. Adding addtional vitamins, minerals or antioxidants could overload the body

I would look at all the ingredients and cross reference a top of of line multi vitamin to see what substances or ingredients are particular to this product you are referring to. I take Natural

factors vitamins and Ive never seen a label say dont take this with other vitamins or it could overload the body. But, thats not specifically a bad thing, but it needs to be addresed so you know what your taking. Once you find the ingredients that are specific to this product and non specific in other similar products, Id check those specific ingredients out . Good luck and let us know.

To my knowledge, the only treatments that have been shown to be beneficial in tinnitus are behavioral in nature, as Les alluded to.

As a side note, new-onset tinnitus should always be worked up to be sure it is not the result of something under the surface.

There's a good explanation of tinnitus here. It makes it fairly clear why supplements won't have much of an effect. Once the little hair cells are damaged, there's no going back.

It's possible that, where stress is a factor, that any relaxing properties in a supplement may help.

I worked with some very good hearing clinicians and music programs designed to loosen and re-educate the bones and muscles of the ear in cases where there were emotional reasons for loss of perception. I saw some amazing results but never a cure for tinnitus. I did hear reports of partial relief where muscle atrophy and emotional factors were involved.

I have had it for 45 yrs..NOTHING has helped. Mine is the result of a severe ear infection that damaged my right ear. Don't be fooled about things that claim they can help.

You don't mention age or any other info that would give us a clue about its origin. Age, infection, constant noise like MC riding and other factors..... including a benign tumor on the auditory nerve need to be ruled out.

I say go see an ENT ASAP! :)

Not your question specifically, i.e. – “ What treatments are there for tinnitus?”, but I have had some success with Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT) combined with an avoidance of caffeine and aspirin. YMMV.

It says it was tested by NASA, not that it passed those tests.

As a long-time tinitus sufferer I have looked at all of these issues. There is some evidence that avoiding caffine and alcohol is benificial insofar as they make it worse, but that's it for diet.

Snake oil.

but I have had some success with Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT) combined with an avoidance of caffeine and aspirin. YMMV.
Wait - avoid caffeine and aspirin, or avoid caffeine and take aspirin?
Francois_Dumas

The screaming in my ears gets louder after/when driving the car forlong periods of time.

I like the blue pills idea. As I understand it, it makes your teeth larger ?????

I'd rather drink and take aspirin for the hangover.

No caffeine? I'll pass.

I've dealt with the nerve damage for about 35 years, and the additive effects of my lifestyle probably mean that there's not really a lot that I could do for it either by choice or by any likely medical procedures.

Hearing aids are in my future, I am resigned to that fact.

Hearing aids are in my future, I am resigned to that fact.

Hearing aids only assist with tinitus in that they increase the volume of other sounds masking the tinitus sounds.

Right now I have maddeningly loud tinitus in my left ear and irritating levels in my right. It is being exacerbated by the fact I have a stinking cold.

The other thing is that hearing aids are not like spectacles - they do not correct hearing loss, they just make it easier to sort out those muffled sounds.

I have Otosclerosis which at least means I have some hope - my left ear has now degraqded to the point that I think the risks of a stapendectomy are justified, so I will be seeing my GP after christmas.

Andy

Matt I have the same problem. 26 years in the military making things go boom has caused tinitus in my right ear. If you find something that works please tell me!

ALAN

Archived