IGNORED

Newbie Intro

bayoubengal

Well I've posted a couple of comments and questions so I thought it was about time to introduce myself.

Both of my friends call me Hutch. I post as bayoubengal. That's an LSU Tiger to the non-SEC types.

I grew up riding from age 7 and rode regularly up until I started flying airplanes in my early 20's. Never lost interest just didn't actively ride. I grew up in my dad's Honda shop and started riding his Gold Wing to school when I was 15. I had previously lived in a pretty rural part of La. and actually rode my Honda Trail 70 to school when I was 11 and 12, at a school my mother taught in! Spent my teens racing motocross and eventually got that coveted AMA pro license. Then got my wheels waxed. Found it was a huge difference winning your local expert class and running with AMA pros. So, retired the leathers (yes MXers wore leathers then - late 1970s) went to school and eventually ended up fyling jets in the USAF. When my kids got old enough to ride I took them to the Honda shop and came home with a couple of bikes (XRs). Added a PW-50 for the 3rd one later that year. Eventually added one for me and we were off and riding again.

2003 I bought a new K1200LT which I very regretfully sold last spring. Maybe I'll tell the story one day...

Fever is raging again so in looking for info I stumbled across your forum and would like to join in. The thread about posting pictures of yourself and your old bikes sealed the deal. That is awesome. I saw lots of things that took me back. When I get some time off over the Christmas break I'll post mine.

I am starting to look around but suspect it will be spring before I jump. I am very interested in the RTs and K12/13GTs. May wait and take a look at the new LT also.

Do have a couple of questions:

1) 2007 R1200RT 7600 miles BMW Maint records (6K complete) Mint Corbin Avail for $13K Deal or No Deal?

2) I notice the price the dealers are asking vs. what the BMW website has are subtantially different. Not so for UJMs. Example the RT shows $16800 on website but dealer ads in Cycle Trader show $19-$21K. That's alot of dealer prep. What am I missing here? What can I expect to pay for an 09 RT?

Anyway, glad to be here and enjoying your forum. I'm still in AF Reserves if any of you are mil types. Just got back from my 4th deployment and had a great time. Also fly for Delta Airlines but I'm currently on military leave. If any of you are BMW riders from middle Georgia drop me a line.

Dave in Doodah

Welcome aboard, Hutch! PS - I am a Ga Tech grad... good luck in your bowl game... NOT!

I have had two boxers (along with a great Honda Nighthawk) over the last 20+ years and am sold. I would at least recommend giving it a shot.

Welcome aboard, Hutch! PS - I am a Ga Tech grad... good luck in your bowl game... NOT!

I have had two boxers (along with a great Honda Nighthawk) over the last 20+ years and am sold. I would at least recommend giving it a shot.

Thanks. I am a season ticket holder and geaux to most games. I anticipate geauxing but I also anticipate it being a long night. It's been a frustrating season...

Welcome, Hutch.

Check out Miller BMW in Tallahassee - not much farther from you than Atlanta dealers. Great service and fair pricing.

I've never had a K bike but can attest to the Boxer's "character". They're a blast to ride.

Rick

Dave in Doodah

So how did you end up in GA? Enjoy the game - I am jealous. But I think we should both be happy our guys made it to a good bowl game... (I loved Chick-Fil-A when I lived in the southeast, but they could have come up with a better name for the bowl game...)

Dave in Doodah

I used to pass by Macon on my way back and forth to Tech from Orlando in the early 80's... I remember some nice scenery out there. Enjoy!

<<2) I notice the price the dealers are asking vs. what the BMW website has are subtantially different. Not so for UJMs. Example the RT shows $16800 on website but dealer ads in Cycle Trader show $19-$21K. That's alot of dealer prep. What am I missing here? What can I expect to pay for an 09 RT?>>

Hutch, go to the BMW website and download the specs for the model you want. Then add up the base price, plus any options you want and the $495 freight, and you are then at the MAX price that I would ever pay for one of these (plus tax/tag of course). You will find that those inflated internet prices will have every possible option, plus a hefty dealer-prep charge added also. But everything's negotiable, don't let their tough talk fool ya. So maybe you don't want the TPM for $250 or the radio for $1500 or the anti-theft for $395. Tell the dealer what you DO want and what it should cost, and see what kind of deal he might make on an over-equipped model on the floor. Still too high? Well, then its time to shop another dealer (if he'll let go of your arm at this point). Do this a couple of times and you'll have a real good feel for what the bike should *really* cost. All you really need is 2 dealers quoting you and do a little name and model dropping--like "well I really wanted a RED one and Joe over at Beemers R Us has one". This gets his attention since he can punch his computer and see what models have been ordered by other dealers in the area, and this confirms to him that YES, you do know what you're talking about and ARE shopping. And ALWAYS talk "out-the-door" cost. Don't argue about the dealer prep fees; heck I don't care if they want $1000 to do their paperwork, long as their quote is the lowest one I can find.

Good luck! :wave:

And welcome.

From base price you'll most likely be adding the bike comp,abs,esa,and mabey a radio. With those options you'll be looking at a price before prep and assorted dealer crap fees of near 22K or so, hell the radio is around 2K and not that great(I have it, cant hear it over 70 or so.). So in answer to your question about the RT for 13k, yes its a deal depending on the options. I paid 12K for mine with around the same miles as the one your looking at and it an 07 loaded, the only option not installed is traction control. I say play horse trader and hit'em low see what happens and if your comfy at 13k and he don't budge get it. I'll tell ya the ride is nothing to sneeze at, it's one hell of a fun bike. Oh and welcome to the asylum, don't leave the door open or some of the nuts may get out!

$22k before the etc....

No.

Not even with tax, tag, title, and all the extras.

Not even close to that much.

OTD for thousands less.

Welcome on board Hutch.

Yes for the pre-owned RT. I bought my '05 last year for about that price and it was the same miles, records etc. Love the RT.

Delta? Did you know Scott Stovall? He is a cousin, Ga Tech. I'm a Vol... (sad to say this year)

Hope to see you at an event soon.

Funny, I have the build sheet for my bike and it was 21.5k with all the options here in NV. I didn't say before options I said after Tim. Anyway to the pricing where I am 12-14k seems the ave for a used 07..

So how did you end up in GA? Enjoy the game - I am jealous. But I think we should both be happy our guys made it to a good bowl game... (I loved Chick-Fil-A when I lived in the southeast, but they could have come up with a better name for the bowl game...)

I was loving life in an San Antonio, flying for Delta out of DFW. Delta closed the DFW hub meaning a commute to Atlanta. About the same time the AF Reserve Command offered my spousal unit a command at Robins AFB, 90 mi SE of ATL. It was the logical thing to do. And we have a Chick-Fil-A!

Welcome on board Hutch.

Yes for the pre-owned RT. I bought my '05 last year for about that price and it was the same miles, records etc. Love the RT.

Delta? Did you know Scott Stovall? He is a cousin, Ga Tech. I'm a Vol... (sad to say this year)

Hope to see you at an event soon.

Do not know Scott. Delta guy? Tough year for the Vols but they'll be back.

Terryofperry,

Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully I'll have something to get out and ride on before to to long.

All,

Thanks for the advice and warm welcomes.

dh

Glad to have you aboard! :wave:

Thanks JustJean. I grew up in La. but can't place Doyline. Where is it?

Enjoy the new 650. Where'd you buy it?

Funny, I have the build sheet for my bike and it was 21.5k with all the options here in NV. I didn't say before options I said after Tim. Anyway to the pricing where I am 12-14k seems the ave for a used 07..

I am talking after.

OTD lower...

YMMV. :wave:

I knew Scott, I retired in 2003.

Grew up in MS and graduated from MSU in 1965, no we never had a football team but sure had a good time.

I would think 13K would be a fair price for the bike, but not a steal.

I bought a '96 11RT in April and have really enjoyed it. I operate out of Jackson, GA North of Warner Robins.

JR

I knew Scott, I retired in 2003.

Grew up in MS and graduated from MSU in 1965, no we never had a football team but sure had a good time.

I would think 13K would be a fair price for the bike, but not a steal.

I bought a '96 11RT in April and have really enjoyed it. I operate out of Jackson, GA North of Warner Robins.

JR

Thanks jimmyjr. Been to Starkville. Parents have a second home out from Louisville/Noxapater. I get up to your neck of the woods occasionally - my son plays soccer for Perry HS and plays in Jackson a couple time per year. Ever get down to Perry touch base and we can talk about the good ole days (now gone) at Delta and BMWs...

welcome and why not join us for the huckleberry's bbq get together (see event planning). be an awful lot of different tires to kick around and tim (tallman) will be there.

Welcome to the board Hutch! No matter which bike you end up with, you can be certain of two things; 1, you're going to love it, 2, as soon as you purchase it you'll find another one for less money.

Slyder

Archived