IGNORED

Tires - What does the "E" mean in "DiabloStrada E"

Arizona_oldguy

Arizona_oldguy

I am getting great performance and wear out of my Pirelli Diablo Strada E, on the 1200 RT,

It appears that they only make those tires for the rear size. I am just wondering what the "E" means and if it is from the Dot designation E B PT. on the sidewall of the tire.

Glenn

Arizona_oldguy

The dealer showed me that they have unusually stiff sidewalls and are much harder to start on the rim, which I liked, given I often ride two up, with luggage.

I had thought that perhaps the "E" had to do with the extra stiff carcass which is why I raised this. I too have been quite satisfied with these tires.

Glenn

Arizona_oldguy

Thanks Twisty1

Does that mean that the E means "E"xtended mileage? From that chart you posted, it would seem that they also make it for the front, though I was told by Blaine at SW moto tires, that they don't.

I will have to see if I can order some.

Glenn

Thanks Twisty1

Does that mean that the E means "E"xtended mileage? From that chart you posted, it would seem that they also make it for the front, though I was told by Blaine at SW moto tires, that they don't.

Glenn

Glenn, I don’t think the E means extended range as most of the Pirelli Diablo Strada say extended range but the only thing I could find on the E suffix pointed to the E being for the FJR 1300.. Not sure as the Pirelli site doesn’t list the differences but usually when a tire carries a specific motorcycle rating is might be a slightly different load capacity,, or have an additional ply (or maybe even less plies),, or some other slight reason it is speced out for that particular brand of motorcycle..

Twisty

Arizona_oldguy

Interesting, not sure how simple the answer is. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an extra ply or something. The tire dealer made a point of showing me how stiff the carcass was, and how much harder it is to mount on the rim than the Metzler Z6 that I had been using.

I just checked the mileage on that tire so far, and I have 11119 miles on it since last August 11,08, and expect I have at least 2000 more before I reach the wear bars.

This tire was a few $$ cheaper than the Metzlers, and the best I have done on one of them was 12,000

I felt that the tire would be much more resistant to road hazards and bruising, and possibly even nails and thorns, it seemed that much heaver and stiff.

Glenn

Ugh! This dealer rumor / knowledge is just down right irritating.

"See, look how stiff this tire is to put on it must have special properties, it has a "E".

Oh, and Pirelli and Metzler are two different brands maybe that has something/ everything to do with it.

"Simply" contact Pirelli, have them find someone in the motorcycle tires division then explain your views to them. Wait as you get transfered to another person then explain again. Somewhere in this chain you will find the answer.

Or just ride the tire till it's gone then replace and repeat if it makes you happy. :thumbsup:

Thanks Twisty1

Glenn

Glenn, I don’t think the E means extended range as most of the Pirelli Diablo Strada say extended range but the only thing I could find on the E suffix pointed to the E being for the FJR 1300.. Not sure as the Pirelli site doesn’t list the differences but usually when a tire carries a specific motorcycle rating is might be a slightly different load capacity,, or have an additional ply (or maybe even less plies),, or some other slight reason it is speced out for that particular brand of motorcycle..

Twisty

On the Pirelli site I visited it also listed the "E" designation for the R1200ST, I could not find the R1200RT listing though.

Ian

Archived