IGNORED

strangest/most exotic food you've eaten?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Tonight at the grocery store I stood at one small section of the freezer where they stock an array of unusual meats: ostrich, quail, rabbit, buffalo, and kangaroo, to name a few.

Then I saw this article a little while ago: Eat Camels to Protect Environment, Aussies Told

And during the Olympics in August, reporters toured some of the market places in Beijing where vendors will cook and serve just about anything, including scorpions.

And so I wondered, what's the most unusual food you've dared to eat?

Twenty years ago when I was in east Africa on a photo safari, we were served zebra steaks, or at least that's what they said it was. At this point I couldn't tell you what it tasted like, but I do recall it didn't taste quite like beef.

So...who here has had camel? Kangaroo? Scorpion? Spotted owl? Manatee? Blobfish? Something else?

Horse poop.

My mother sometimes reminds me that when I was about 3 years old, she found me behind the barn, eating a dried horse muffin.

What, that's not exactly what you meant? OK, then. Cow brains fried in egg batter. Kidney (well salted and barbecued). Alligator sausage.

Dave McReynolds

One of the rites of passage in the Marine Corps in the '60's was to go down to Tijuana and eat cat tacos from a street vendor. Among other things.

Rattlesnake

Aligator

Earthworms

a cigarette (it was a drunken college thing)

Calf Fries / Sweetbreads

Chicken Feet

Raw Octopus

Squid

Lots of raw ahi

Shark

About fifteen years ago I was working as a technical representative and I was living out of hotels. In fact I spent seven years living three nights a week at one particular hotel in Yeovil, Somerset.

It was a small family owned hotel with the management duties shared between owner and an employed manager/accountant. These two also undertook the cooking duties. One year Alan, the manager, decided to offer regular guests and friends an alternative Chritmas meal.

On offer - and consumed - were:

Honeyed Locust, Chocholate Coated locust, Wild Boar, Crocodile, Ostrich, Kangaroo and Snake.

Made a change from Turkey.

Snake (not sure what kind)

Iguana

Horse (not as good as you'd think)

Chicken feet (again, not as good as you'd think)

I'm guessing most people would agree that birds nest soup should be on the list I suppose. I liked it until I realized what it was...

Calvin  (no socks)

No not camels... tell me it's not so! The horror. The horror

Exotic, no...

Oppossum....Barbequed

Raccoon....Barbequed

Armadillo...Barbequed

Bear......Au Jus

Ice cream for dogs.... peanut butter flavor... a whole carton was left after a demo at the dealership... left in our freezer....No one else helped me... so over a week or two... I told everyone it tasted like liver.....not really... just not as sweet as Normal Ice Cream...Hey it was cold, relief from the oppressive heat... temperatures over 95 outside = 105 in shop.... :grin:

Joe Frickin' Friday

Come to think of it, I did have deep-fried gator at a restaurant once.

Funny, what seems exotic to some folks is pretty mundane to others. Brad listed squid, but fried calamari (squid) is a favorite of ours at some local restaurants.

Masako is Japanese, so of course raw fish is on the menu when we go to one of several local Japanese restaurants. Me? My brain can't handle raw fish, so I stick with California rolls, cooked appetizers, and chicken teriyaki.

Took a bite of (cooked) octopus once. Not very different from squid, I'd probably have eaten more if it had been deep fried.

As for David's dining experience at Jack In The Box, I think I'll put that in the same category as Fernando's coprophagic incident. :grin:

Bird's nest soup.

Wooster befriended by Chinese/American family

btw,bns contains no sticks or stems; rather the bird's glue/goo is the basic ingredient !

I don't know if anyone would consider this exotic, but when I was a kid visiting my Grandma, my favorite treat was pickled pigs' feet. Whenever I visited Grandma, that was my top request. I lived for visits to my Grandma. I loved her, and I loved pickled pigs' feet.

Until the day that I found out that pickled pigs' feet were . . . OH MY GOD! . . . PICKLED PIGS' FEET!!! :eek:

Rocky Mountain Oysters

Pig's feet (pickled)

Polk Salad and gator

Escargot pizza

the worm (if you have to ask...)

grasshopper

ants

rattlesnake

frog's legs

butterfly

ackee

raw whole habanero

chicken and waffles

Hmmm...while traveling in Asia...(mostly Cambodia and Laos) I didn't even know what I was downing!!!.

All I know is that one time in Siem Reap the whole kitchen crew came out to watch! They all chanted and said: "You John Wayne, you cowboy!" So for whatever reason they said that.......

I think that it is better I don't know!

Rocky Mountain Oysters

Pig's feet (pickled)

Polk Salad and gator

Escargot pizza

grasshopper

ants

rattlesnake

frog's legs

butterfly

ackee

raw whole habanero

chicken and waffles

Chicken and waffles are GREAT!

I have nothing to add to the list.

But I do think it is an interesting observation that almost all of the items mentioned are animal (or insect) based. Eating out of the ordinary plant based foods isn’t considered strange or exotic I guess. Wonder why that is?

Back in '66' while humpin the boonies in Nam , some C-rats that were older than I was. :P I was 18 at the time, and very hungry. Not to mention snake, dog, rat, monkey, water buffalo, several types of bugs, and mystery meat.???? No translation for it.

And of course all of the ailments that go with eating strange things. :eek: Hookworm, round worm, intestinal parasites, etc.

Strangest? Not really, most discusting? Yes.

I was a pilot in the Peruvian jungle and as such was sometimes considered a guest in a jungle village of some high regard.

In one, because I was staying over night the village decided that it was necessary to kill a chicken and cook it in my honor.

The chicken was dispatched with a broken neck.

It was then tossed in the fire to burn off its feathers.

Then thrown,whole into a pot of boiling water with some yucca.

After the corpse had sufficiently separated into its various parts you dug in with your fork and pulled out, whatever.

I unfortunately snagged the intestines.

Still makes me gag to think of it.

But swilling it down with masato, a fermented drink made by the women who chew the yucca and spit in into a bowl to ferment helped a bit, NOT.

After that experience I ALWAYS brought food to them.

* Live Scorpions at a restaurant named "Scorpion" in Xi'an China. Preceded by copious amounts of beer. (doesn't taste like chicken)

* BBQ'd snake, which was fantastic, in Taiwan. Snake is not that odd; however, at this restaurant the walls were lined with snake cages with different kinds of live snakes. You chose your snake and then before preparing it they bring it to your table in a plastic bag (kind of like some steak houses show you your steak ahead of time). I have no clue how to tell a good snake from a bad one, so of course I said it looked fine.

* Fried grasshopper.

* Giant bullfrog in Thailand. In a real spicy sauce. Surprisingly good.

* Stinky tofu in Hong Kong. Not that odd, but by far the worst tasting thing I ever ate in my life.

* Uni (sea urchin) eaten live, right out of the shell in Japan. I now love Uni, but that was my first try, and I didn't like it at all at that time.

* Calves brains when I was a kid. That's not that uncommon for old world Italians like my parents were.

eel

bear

moose

bighorn sheep

bison

caribou

alligator appetizer (taste just like chicken, well thats what the waitress said)

rabbit also taste like chicken

cow brains pan fried

head cheese after we butchered the pig, do you know how they make headcheese? sushi is much more appealing

cod tongue (its a newfie thing)

grass i was young, my cousin said eat it...

and a few of those zillion mosquitos,

Some kind of gray meat on a stick from a Turkish street vendor.

Green eggs and ham (ask any one who has lived on an aircraft carrier)

What, no SOS? :grin:

My Fish & Game club hosts an annual game banquet. Those who have had a successful hunt donate meat to the caterer.

There are the usual: venison, bear, elk, moose, caribou, and other large and small game. Some years there are cougar, beaver, and most geese and ducks. Lots of trout and salmon too.

I've also had the rattlesnake cakes at Diablo's in Torrey.

You people lead interesting lives to put it mildly.

After reading your posts, I can say without a doubt that I will not be joining any of you for dinner anytimne soon.

I eat pizza and burgers. One time I went to a famous asian restaurant with my friend for her birthday. We were sitting at a table right next to a really big fish tank. There was one fish in the tank who was so big that he couldnt turn around. He had the most beautiful eyes and he just kept looking at me. On the menu were alot of fish dishes. I explained to Laura that I didnt feel comfortable eating at this restaurant. What if I ordered fish and ended up eating this fish that keeps staring at me. I swear he was saying, please get me the f--- out of here. Laura was kind enough to understand my feeling on this and we left and went to another restaurant.

Sea Cucumber...the ugliest critter in the sea,

Prarie Oyster...in France. Highly intoxicated at the time...thankfully

Caribou, Elk, Seal...served by Inuit in Yellowknife Northwest Territories

Dogfish... freshly caught in BC

Still makes me gag to think of it.

But swilling it down with masato, a fermented drink made by the women who chew the yucca and spit in into a bowl to ferment helped a bit, NOT.

:eek:

You win. :grin:

Only deep-fried 'gator here. Otherwise I think I've lived a fairly boring culinary life.

Snake, turtle, gator, frogs legs (France), calves brains (Germany) and caribou (Canada). Caribou had to be the most tender and delicious meat I have ever eaten.

Some kind of gray meat on a stick from a Turkish street vendor.

Green eggs and ham (ask any one who has lived on an aircraft carrier)

What, no SOS? :grin:

Green eggs and ham are better than SOS.

As for David's dining experience at Jack In The Box, I think I'll put that in the same category as Fernando's coprophagic incident. :grin:

Apparently, I've missed some things in recent months!

Some odd items I've eaten was because of food shortage at end of WW II. Nettles, picked in the wild with gloves, cooked, is almost spinach, cow's udder, horse meat when we could find it, many other things I don't remember.

With European and South American past I like many things that are not common on the USA menu. Calf's brain and liver, tongue, kidneys, lungs, alligator tail, wild pig, other stuff. All good.

Rocky Mountain Oysters

Pig's feet (pickled)

Polk Salad and gator

Escargot pizza

grasshopper

ants

rattlesnake

frog's legs

butterfly

ackee

raw whole habanero