IGNORED

2008 RT problems???

motorman587

Found this on a cop site. Anybody having these issues??

Just curious if another agency is having these problems.

-30 brand new BMW rt1200rt-p bikes were delivered to our dept. starting in November all bikes have been delivered since.

-4 bikes have mechanical problems were the piston and cylinder needs to replaced. All bikes experienced this on the right side of the motor (defect?)

-5 bikes are experiencing siren and pa problems. It looks like a electrical issue because everytime a new fuse is installed in blows instantly.

-4 bikes had a screw which secures the bracket that holds siren, radio and pa button come out, interferring with clutch lever.

-4 bikes had screws that secure the siren to crash bar come lose and fall off of bike

-3 bikes had total ABS failure.

There are anywhere from 10-15 bikes at the dealer for warranty issues.

If anyone could share there experiences regarding these issues

It seems that a new employee was hired in Munich. Schielen Tumb was promptly fired after discovering that his motorcycle assembly skills were not up to german standards...

crosseyed.jpg

Hey John, I was going to buy a new RT. After reading this I've decided to buy a Triumph which I understand are perfect and all their dealers are wonderful. Thanks for your timely info...you kept me from making a horrible mistake which would have ruined my life. :dopeslap::rofl:

I'm done with BMW. The totally screwed up my bike. My GT came with two extra cylinders and the sirens and PA were totally missing!

I was thinking of going back to Triumph, but my last one came with one cylinder missing. :rofl:

amazing how one always gets the 1% on any forum who are total jerks...if one disagrees with them that bmws' are just not all they are cracked up to be and dealer service is not always good but some have down right poor customer service skill. they will not just disagree but attack you with typically wise guy comments...sad

amazing how one always gets the 1% on any forum who are total jerks...if one disagrees with them that bmws' are just not all they are cracked up to be and dealer service is not always good but some have down right poor customer service skill. they will not just disagree but attack you with typically wise guy comments...sad

Or it could just be that its a little bit of fun ribbing between friends, and not meant to be in any way serious.

John, Marty, and Tim.......you guys having some separation anxiety?

We took delivery of six 2008's. Most hit the street in September. They're turning 2000 mi right about now. 5 have been flawless. One went out of service last week. A weld on the frame cracked right where it supported the shifter assembly. Symptom was soft/long shifts. BMW is putting a whole new rear frame on the bike.

That same bike had a strong clutch smell all the time, even after just cruising for miles with no clutch use. I heard they did find a bad seal, but haven't confirmed which seal it was. Should know next week.

Hopefully our 2nd six will be ordered this month.

Not my department, but last time at the dealer, they showed me a state RTP that looked like a grenade had gone off in the right cylinder. Thing was just nasty looking. Tech said it ate a valve, broke, scarred and destroyed the cyliner

We got 9 trouble free RTPs. Low 3000 miles and high 11000 miles. Minor issues have been the stupid side stand switch, which has been replace with easy. Our RTPs have been great.

And the jerks on this fourm use to them. I will just lick their brat wurst next time in May. :rofl:

Looks like that police department needs to get at least 1 good mechanic running that maintenance department, I would not waste the time to sent/transport bike to the dealer for loose screws or a PA problem. Now the cylinder/piston failures and the ABS failures yes send them to the dealed for warranty.

Hey John, I was going to buy a new RT. After reading this I've decided to buy a Triumph which I understand are perfect and all their dealers are wonderful. Thanks for your timely info...you kept me from making a horrible mistake which would have ruined my life. :dopeslap::rofl:

I'm not sure I like the tone of your post :grin: Then again, I just sold my Triumph :dopeslap:;)

Let me get this straight. Your dealer... A BMW dealer? Showed you voluntarily, a BMW R1200RT that had a right cylinder that looked like a grenade went off in it? Are you a member of the family bmwsit? I'm sorry but I cannot possibly see anything positive (for the dealer and or BMW) coming from a dealer voluntarily showing you something like that. A grenade? From eating a valve? I'm sorry but I don't buy it. Why? Because my long since departed 1994 R1100RS did just that. Except it didn't eat the valve. The rocker did sieze and the piston banged into the two exhaust valves on the left cylinder. I rode the bike another 50 miles in that condition not knowing what had gone wrong. I had the cylinder cleaned up, two new exhaust valves and a valve job done. I pulled all the big pieces off myself. My piston hit two valves and it did not destroy the motor. I ran for another 50 miles after doing this. I ended up putting 159k on that bike before I went down on a patch of diesel. Bike was totalled afterwards.

I've been been riding Beemers since 1983 and I've seen a lot. Ridden a lot too. Not as many as Paul M. but more than most. But some of the stuff I've seen reported on the internet just cracks me up. And amazingly it's rarely backed up by evidence :eek: And yet many reading this stuff take it all in. Hook, line, and sinker.

Hey, taters, since you've omnisciently and with amazing accuracy deemed me a total jerk,

why don't you tell someone who gives a FF about your opinion.

I see thousands of BMW bikes every year dealing with sales and service (part time).

I've seen all the authority bikes in our part of the world for years.

John, who is a friend and with whom I've ridden thousands of miles, asked a question, and it was answered.

Somehow, through your own projection or transference issues (compensating for??) you feel like calling me a total jerk.

Well my momma always told me to consider the source, and in doing so, I've got one word for you.

THANKS. :thumbsup::rofl:

Looks like that police department needs to get at least 1 good mechanic running that maintenance department, I would not waste the time to sent/transport bike to the dealer for loose screws or a PA problem. Now the cylinder/piston failures and the ABS failures yes send them to the dealed for warranty.

I believe the standard deal is that all BMW police bikes MUST be serviced by BMW, not by the department. Someone more knowledgeable can confirm this. This is one of the reasons the LAPD switched to H-D - they could service their own bikes at a much lower cost.

At least some of these problems appear to be related to setup and assembly. Aren't the RT-P bikes set up and assembled by the dealers? But, ill bet that when the Law Enforcement rides up on an RT with warranty issues, the dealer takes a bit more notice!! I have been at the dealer in Boise when Idaho State Police motor cops ride up and they seem to have a slightly different relationship with the dealer than I do, I guess that is as it should be. <<<<>>>>>

Australian RTP's have been failing on the right cylinder as well. My BMW trained mechanic friend seems to think that it's the endless idling they do on the side stand when booking drivers. He also says that you should *see* the tuuperware on some of these bikes, totally melted and dripping with overheating.

I dunno, it's what he says. They all seem to be moving to Yamaha 1300's here because of some issues with the Beemers.

Linz :)

Archived