IGNORED

BrakeLight and ABS

RT Bluesky

I just took bike in for inspection and my brake light will

not come on when appling either brake.

The running light is working but no second light when braking.

Fuses are good.

ABS is blinking.

Just bought bike two weeks ago.

1996 RT

RT Bluesky, I would start with the bulb(s).. Might be as simple as a bad bulb..

On the early systems like yours (pre IABS) the brake light doesn’t go through the ABS system..

Probably wouldn’t hurt to check the fuse also..

Twisty

Bulb has one element and is on when you turn key.

But no second brighter light.

Is that the way it is suppost to work?

Or is ther suppose to be a two element bulb??

Should be 4 bulbs in the tail light assembly (all single filament).. One on each side for L & R turn signal.. In the center one (10w) smaller single filament for tail/lic plate light & one (21w) single filiment for brake light..

R1100RTtaillight.jpg

Twisty

Thanks Twisty1 for the info, that is exactly how it is, so

must be a switch or relay problem.

I have been on line and on a CD of the Rt 1150 BMW service manual

and still don't have it figured out yet.

Thanks Twisty1 for the info, that is exactly how it is, so

must be a switch or relay problem.

I have been on line and on a CD of the Rt 1150 BMW service manual

and still don't have it figured out yet.

RT Bluesky, are you SURE the bulb is good? The filament can look good to the eye but could still have an internal open that doesn’t allow the bulb to light.. It’s the top center bulb & it should only light for brake apply.. If it is on as well as the lower tail light suspect a ground problem causing back feed due to improper ground..

If you are SURE the bulb is OK, then check # 1 fuse again & check the tail light assembly wire connector.. You could have a failed brake light switch but doubtful you have failed BOTH ft & rear brake light switches..

Should be easy to find problem with a voltmeter or test light..

What bike you working with there? You show a 1996 RT at the bottom of your first post at the top here but say you are using an 1150 manual.. The 1150RT has the IABS system & on that the ABS computer does control the brake light & will even bring the brake light back on a low intensity as a tail light if the tail light fails.. If you have an 1150RT all bets are off on the info furnished above.. EXACTLY what are you working on here?

Twisty

1100Rt 1996 not 1150.

The center light comes on when ignition is turned on.

So sounds like one of the brake switches is stuck or ground like you said.

The owner prior to me - just had the back brakes changed,

do you thing they did something wrond?

1100Rt 1996 not 1150.

The center light comes on when ignition is turned on.

So sounds like one of the brake switches is stuck or ground like you said.

The owner prior to me - just had the back brakes changed,

do you thing they did something wrond?

RT Bluesky, OK, you have an 1100RT.. Quit using that 1150RT manual as it is an entirely different brake light operation..

You still haven’t said if BOTH center bulbs are lit or just the upper or just the lower? Exactly what bulbs are lit with just the key turned on?

If the lower bulb is on that is normal as it comes on as the tail light.. If the upper center bulb is lit (bright) without you applying either brake you might have a brake switch stuck on.. You might try fooling with the switches or disconnecting them.. A stuck brake light switch can also fault the ABS & give you a flashing ABS light on the dash.. If the upper bulb is lit dim then maybe look for a tail light grounding problem..

Twisty

Top center is one, did'nt notice the bottom one being on or not.

So I just ran outside pulled the bottom lisence bulb (smaller one)

and it's fried. So I would say that the brake light may come on to repace the burt running lisence light. And that may be why the ABS is flashing.

I will get new bulb tomorrow and see what happens!!!!

Thanks for the assistance.

This is the first bike in 20 years for me, I used to have Yamahas

street and trail - these BMW are way more safisticated!!!

So I would say that the brake light may come on to repace the burt running lisence light. And that may be why the ABS is flashing.

RT Bluesky, not on the 1100RT.. That is just a standard lower light hooked to the tail light & upper light hooked to the brake light..

I wonder if the 2 center sockets are swapped & in the wrong holes (if that is even possible)?

You should be able pull an outer turn signal bulb & use that as a brake light as I believe the bulbs are the same..

I am going off air for the night now so if you have further questions hopefully someone else can step in here & follow up on this with you..

Twisty

Fort Worth, really Benbrook.

Got the inspection completed today - yes!

The problem with brake light was the foot switch, not holding switch in (which shuts power off)

Now it's tome to add my Yahoo running lights and Yahoo radio

I got last week. I made an aluminum light holder for about

$10.00 and $5.00 in bolts, $20.00 for the lights.

Anyone have an idea on power for both radio and xtra lights.

Hook to battery with relay or to altenator

RT Bluesky, a good way on the extra lights is a fused relay off the battery with parking light circuit control of the relay’s trigger side (through an on/off switch if you also want manual control)..

On the radio,, look under the L/H fairing just in front of the factory radio area.. There is a good possibility there is already a radio harness with power all ready there..

Twisty

That was alot of work!!!

Running lights, and radio, antenna, switch in the dash.

This pioneer stereo CD I got off Ebay worked well after I figured

out the 20 wires, LED, remote control, memory and 4 sets of speakers.

The lights are hooked up and mounted, I am in need of wire covers.

Like the ones on 4X4 flood lights (the metal flex stainless tubing)

Anyone have a contact for supplier?? I put the black flew plastic wire wraps but not good enough.

Archived