IGNORED

FireFox 3 ?

Nice n Easy Rider

Nice n Easy Rider

I'm currently using FireFox 2 as my browser and happy with it. Mozilla keeps asking if I want to upgrade to FireFox 3. I vaguely remember hearing last summer that there were a number of incompatibility issues with FireFox 3 when it was being beta tested. Can some of you who are more tech-oriented than me tell me what you think of FireFox 3? Do you use it and are you happy with it? Thanks.

Francois_Dumas

Ya'll are lucky people. It somehow killed a large part of my recent bookmarks ... and who thinks of making back-ups anyway, eh? :dopeslap:

grizzly660fan

Francois, get a firefox addon called "foxmarks", it will auto back up your book marks to the web and auto syncs them so you never have to worry about that again. you can restore from the web and have it all back again fairly easy. plus, its free.

good luck!

Garry

I was having browser crashes with FireFox3.

Just upgraded to the 3.0.4 version just released and that seems to have ended the crashes. Crashes were just a little inconvenient is all but now I am having no problems at all.

Ya'll are lucky people. It somehow killed a large part of my recent bookmarks ... and who thinks of making back-ups anyway, eh?
See... Francois, if you were ever around I.T. people, you'd know you should always back everything up. :P

Personally I use FF 3.x on Solaris because it's really the only decent browser available for Solaris. I use FF 3.x for Mac only when I need to use a 2nd browser (I prefer Safari, or actually WebKit for Mac) to run through a proxy for one reason or another. On those rare occasions I use Windows, I use FF 3.x or Safari.

The only FF 3.x "issue" i've found is on Solaris (I won't go into details about it because I'm betting most here don't know/care what that even is...)

I hate going back to FF 2.x because it's just a lot slower IMHO. I haven't really noticed any rendering problems in FF 2.x other than speed. Honestly, I haven't found a single FF 3.x incompatibility for quite some time.

Francois_Dumas
Ya'll are lucky people. It somehow killed a large part of my recent bookmarks ... and who thinks of making back-ups anyway, eh?
See... Francois, if you were ever around I.T. people, you'd know you should always back everything up. :P

I have quit doing that..... I think both parties were glad ! :dopeslap::dopeslap:

Nice n Easy Rider
I was having browser crashes with FireFox3.

Just upgraded to the 3.0.4 version just released and that seems to have ended the crashes. Crashes were just a little inconvenient is all but now I am having no problems at all.

I just uploaded the 3.0.4 version and, so far, so good. I took Garry's advice and saved my bookmarks with "Foxmarks" first. The new version then asked me if I wanted to upload my bookmarks from my Foxmarks account. All pretty smooth. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Francois_Dumas

It must be my off-day. I (tried to) installed Foxmarks..... and it crashed. After that my Firefox kept using 100% CPU and locked my PC... only after I deactivated Foxmark I could work again. One of these days..... :/

I've been running FF3 on both Windows XP and Mac OSX since it was officially released, and it's been rock solid. The only problem I have encountered is with one very obscure piece of software that does a version check, and only knows about FF2, so it won't work. If you know where to look, FF2 installer is still available (or at least was last summer) but the Mozilla make it very hard to find.

FF is by far my favorite browser. My only real complaint is that it's a memory hog; the more tabs you open, the more it uses, and it doesn't give it all back when you quit FF.

My real complaint is with web designers who design sites that only work properly with Microsoft's pitiful attempt at a browser. After all these years, they still can't get it right.

I've been running FF3 on both Windows XP and Mac OSX since it was officially released, and it's been rock solid. The only problem I have encountered is with one very obscure piece of software that does a version check, and only knows about FF2, so it won't work. If you know where to look, FF2 installer is still available (or at least was last summer) but the Mozilla make it very hard to find.

FF is by far my favorite browser. My only real complaint is that it's a memory hog; the more tabs you open, the more it uses, and it doesn't give it all back when you quit FF.

My real complaint is with web designers who design sites that only work properly with Microsoft's pitiful attempt at a browser. After all these years, they still can't get it right.

Ditto!! and agreed!

Bob

Ditto!! and agreed!

Bob

+2. I'm shocked that with the popularity of FF so many sites still are Explorer biased to the point of not working properly with FF.

Using FF 3.0.4 on two machines with satisfactory performance on most web sites. As others have pointed out, some (just a few) don't work, so you need to keep IE around for those cases. Annoying.

The coolest thing is spell checking in forms.

Could someone point out a website that only works in IE? I must not use the web much because I haven't seen one (other than Wells Fargo Mortgage payment which required IE or some archaic version of Netscape as late as June of this year) except Windows Update.

I seriously can't think of a website that requires IE in this day and age.

I also think it's interesting that there is a browser out there that hasn't had spell check in forms for at least a couple years. Weird.

Could someone point out a website that only works in IE? /quote]

Yep! My credit report monitor with Experian will only work through IE. I always forget and have to force close Mozilla and then run it again through IE. PITA!!!!!

Wanna play around, here's the login in screen - LINKY

Fightingpiper

I personally use the Opera browser. Its been my browser of choice for years. Heck I used it way back when you had to pay for it. It was the first browser that used mouse jestures and i have been hooked ever since. I have tried firefox but I keep going back to Opera. Even use it on my little Asus EeePC running Ubuntu linux.

Could someone point out a website that only works in IE?

I probably run across about one a month. Delta's flight check-in was one last time I tried it. Won't print the boarding passes.

Usually characterized by buttons that won't work.

On BMWST I think FF3 won't display an unlimited number of images in a post, where with IE the images display correctly.

As a web developer, my pet peeve is any site that tries to detect my browser, and not seeing what it expects to, won't let me in. At least let me take my chances!

FF is great. Mac and XP here. I also use the delicious plugin for bookmarks, which allows me to keep the same set of bookmarks on all my systems, and they're all free-tagged for easy reference.

Could someone point out a website that only works in IE?

Yep! My credit report monitor with Experian will only work through IE. I always forget and have to force close Mozilla and then run it again through IE. PITA!!!!!

Wanna play around, here's the login in screen - LINKY

Yeah, it looks like it's not working. It reports you have a credit score over 400... Weird. :)

As to Delta's checkin page. I used to have problems in Safari 2.x with it, but I'd switch over to FF so it would work right. No problems checking in online with Delta the last 10 or so times I've used it though. I'd forgotten about that. Also weird.

Background: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mozilla_Suite_:_FAQs_:_Remove_IE

The most notorious example was this post-Katrina story:

If you go to the FEMA website's Claims area and scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see this page can only support claims submitted via the Internet Explorer Web browser. Plus, you have to be running Internet Explorer 6, which isn't compatible with some older computer operating systems that may be in place at already cash-strapped public assistance agencies or in homes of relatives who are providing shelter to evacuees.

I have had problems with some e-commerce sites, notably printing boarding passes from AirTran, and viewing my bill from a natural gas marketer's site.

A few years ago, if I remember correctly, the NIH web site for grant proposals worked only with MSIE, which was a major problem for many of our medical researchers, who used Macs.

The problem appears to be getting better, but I'm sure there are still MSIE-dependent sites out there today.

As to Delta's checkin page. I used to have problems in Safari 2.x with it, but I'd switch over to FF so it would work right. No problems checking in online with Delta the last 10 or so times I've used it though. I'd forgotten about that. Also weird.

I'll give it a try again next time. I don't even think we tried it the last few times, just went straight to IE. Glad they fixed it.

Yu got dat riht

Huh? I've been able to do that Firefox 2 for years. Right-click and choose "Spell check this field".

Yu got dat riht

Huh? I've been able to do that Firefox 2 for years. Right-click and choose "Spell check this field".

Yes, well I never noticed that. However, in FF3 it just automatically underlines misspelled words in real time, and you can right click them to get a list of replacements. Very cool, very obvious, very intuitive and user friendly.

Archived