IGNORED

R1150RT and stock seat comparison

Linz

Hi.

Has anyone swapped out the stock seats from an R11**RT series bike to Sargent seats and been happy? Are they an improvement over stock? Anyone NOT happy with the purchase and if so why?

I am about to pull the trigger on a set and need to know if I'm doing the right thing please?

Any feedback appreciated.

Linz :)

Hi.

Has anyone swapped out the stock seats from an R11**RT series bike to Sargent seats and been happy? Are they an improvement over stock? Anyone NOT happy with the purchase and if so why?

I am about to pull the trigger on a set and need to know if I'm doing the right thing please?

Any feedback appreciated.

Linz, I replaced the stock seat with the Sargent World Sport seat on my last R1150RT..

My impression was—Sagent seat was much better (not perfect but much better) as far as butt support & seating comfort.. It looked fantastic & held up good.. It also stopped the sliding forward problem while riding..

The Sargent was far from perfect though.. I still got the squirrmies after an hour or two of riding,, it took a fair while to break in as it seemed to use a fairly stiff foam,, still wasn’t as comfortable as my Harley & about on par with my GoldWing..

I haven’t ever had the Russel on any of my BMW’s but have a couple of friends that do.. I have ridden both of those bikes for short times & based on that limited riding would say the Russel is slightly more comfortable.. I sort of knew that when buying the Sargent but still opted for the Sargent as it is OK comfort wise but sure looks a lot better than the Russel (at least to me).. Apparently it looked good to the new owner also as the guy that bought my bike had looked a few other BMW boxers & just loved the look & feel of the Sargent World Sport on my bike (my take is the seat sold the bike for me)..

I felt the same way & took a long time to make my mind up.. I did some research on the Sargent & found some that liked it a lot,, some that sort of liked it but no one that actually hated it outright.. Couldn’t find anyone that didn’t like the look of the World Sport though..

In hind sight I probably made the right decision but not owning other brand seats will never know for sure.. The entire time I owned the seat I never felt it was a mistake to buy it but some of that could be based on how nice it fit & made the bike look with the color matched welting & all..

Twisty

What do you not like about the stock seat on the 1150RT? I modified the stock comfort seat on my 1150 and once that was done it was the most comfortable seat I have ever ridden on to this point. I had to remove 1" of thickness from the "lip" at the very back of the seat. It was hitting my tail bone and was very uncomfortable. The fix was done by a buddy and cost me $10 + 2 lunches or a total of $30. I also flattened out the middle of the seat where it was crowned and removed a little foam from the sides of the seat as well. After those fixes were done it like riding a completely different bike. It would be marvelous to have that seat on my hexhead.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

Hi Linz - Keithb beat me too it but i was going to suggest that you consider getting stuffed. :grin: hehe i mean consider have your existing seat modified - stuff with more foam.

for 120 cdn$ i had a pro "refoam" (i.e add a bunch of foam to replace removed foam) my stock seat. worlds better. :thumbsup:

imho you do need to get someone who knows what they are doing (i.e a motorbike seat or at least a car seat professional upholster) to do this - i WAS going to do it myself but watching the master glad i did not try it.

the previous owner had had the foam removed so his short pegs could reach the ground - seat was unbearably unpadded due to lack of foam and so he then bought a bwm narrow seat. i rode the narrow seat for the summer - good for an hour then need 5 minutes break.

i've only done say 1000km since the padding was added so cant give long term report but seems like a world better. plus i am 3 cm higher up too (so my 'freakishly long legs get to stretch - it is almost like having a peg lowering kit).

as a fellow ex-colonial with exchange rates and shipping and time and taxes to consider, you may find this to be the biggest bang for your buck. big dependency however on the skill of the person adding the foam.

more useless advice from the desk of U_H - but we do offer a money back guarantee on all free advice. :wave:

(love your country by the way)

My 2003 R1150 RT came with the BMW "comfort seat". My own seat is not quite as young and meaty as many on this board so I believe I am fairly critical and intolerant of uncomfortable motorcycle saddles.

As received, the comfort seat was marginally acceptable to me. At the suggestion of many on this board, I raised the front with home made seat jacks (5/16"). I also purchased a partial sheepskin at a flea (no pun intended) market. The combination of seat jacks and sheepskin made a transformation that allows me 12 hour days in the saddle without posterior pain. I don't need no stinkin aftermarket saddle.

Now if I could only do something about my knees!

I should have explained myself further. I don't have a problem with butt burn or any major tailbone or padding on the butt area at all and I've done 9-10 hour days on occasion. I've seat jacked it and added a great sheepskin but I still slide forward and the front of the stock seats are too wide.

This effect causes me to ride with my thighs too far apart, at the front of the seat. I'm *constantly* pushing myself back to the flat area at the back of the seat for some comfort.

I'm unsure of my inseam but it's long. I ride with the seat at its highest position. I've added extra washers to the seat jacks. Other than a change of seat shape (as in, buy new seats), I'm unsure of where to take this...

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

option a - 5$: Keep jacking 'er up perhaps?

i have not done the mod myself yet as i dont feel myself sliding forward... so dont know the intricacies of the mechanism...

likely you will need longer fasteners and something a bit more solid than washers... like perhaps a 3/4" plastic block..?

option b - 120$: back to my suggestion - a competent upholsterer can easily change the form of the "seat bucket" too.

option c - ??$: get the new seat.. (price =? 600$)

other options ?

lookin' like 'price' and 'likelihood of success in addressing the sliding forward problem 'actually seem to be negatively correlated or inversely proportional or whatever you wanna call it...

(how is tomorrow over there? it's still today here :rofl: )

Based on your description of the problem I would remove the staples then the vinyl cover. Take a grinder and reduce the height or thickness of the foam towards the rear of the seat. I would use the same grinder to remove foam along the sides of the seat where your legs are located toward the front part of the seat. I removed foam on the sides of my seat. For inseam challenged riders like me (30") we need the sides of the seat to be more vertical and not so wide. Once you have done the grinder thing take your seat to an upholstery place and get to shoot some glue onto the foam and them have them staple it back together. Hope this helps.

I bought a used 2002 1150RT with the stock seat and upgraded to the BMW brand "comfort seat" which I believe was standard in later years. I then bought a Sargent seat and pillion. I sent the pillion back because I really didn't need it as I never ride 2 up. Anyway, the Sargent is minimally better than the BMW comfort seat. With a sheep skin, they're about the same. For the money, I probably would take my BMW seat to a local car/bike seat shop and have it tuned for quite a bit less.

my 1100RT stock seat was a torture chamber at best. My Bill Mayer seat was 10x better. It took a little while to get used to it but hands down a better seat.

Archived