IGNORED

Google Streetview Adds More Coverage

onmyrt

I live on a private road that isn't marked as such, about 1/2 mile off a county road, and about 25 miles from town. Apparently Big Brother's henchman wasn't willing to drive all the way back there, but he did pass by on the county road. If the resolution of the photos were greater, I could see my house from where he did pass by.

Although admittedly this is extremely cool, and I dig it, does anyone besides me find this a little unnerving bordering on invasive?

Hey, you are not paranoid if they really are out to get you :eek:

When Google first added 'Streetview', there were some outcries about privacy due to the resolution being so good in some cities, that faces were identifiable. :eek:

So, Googles ingenious software engineers figured out a way to programatically identify human faces, and then scanned every single image, and smudged them out.

Quite an impressive task. :thumbsup:

When Google first added 'Streetview', there were some outcries about privacy due to the resolution being so good in some cities, that faces were identifiable. :eek:

So, Googles ingenious software engineers figured out a way to programatically identify human faces, and then scanned every single image, and smudged them out.

Quite an impressive task. :thumbsup:

I could not be more impressed with the engineering ingenuity behind that bit of high-tech magic. It just still makes me a little nervous. :P

Holy Crap! They've got nearly the entire country mapped!

Take a Virtual ride here.

But how good is the map? Two instances this week google software mapped the wrong locations. Coincidentally, google used the same area for both places, even though they were in 2 different cities :eek:: I guess they think if you go off Moon Lake Rd you'll find just about anything :dopeslap:

Judging from the angle of the sun and the cars on the street, it looks like they drove by around 6-9 months ago between 8-8:30AM. But that's no surprise -- LA was on the grid from the start.

Maybe I should plant an easter egg for the next pass...

Google have recently added New Zealand to the list of countries with StreetView coverage. They seem to stop short of covering gravel roads, but they have been down some small country lanes. Not too impressive coverage in some locations, though.

The sattelite photos are still about 2-3 years old in my town.

Streetview is enabled in my town, but there are no images currently in their database. So nothing to see here. I did test it in Chicago. It would defnitely be handly for navigating in a congested city and trying to find a particular location.

Sat view overhead is older, can see the bottom of my pool andformer vehicles.

But, on Streetview, I just looked into my window and saw myself aiming at the revenoor taking the picture. :/

Amazing. I live in the middle of nowhere and was about to reply 'they don't have my street', but... they do... :eek:
You must live in the city - they don't have MY road! :grin:

Archived