IGNORED

Winter Tire setup for RT?

sundaeman

It's time for tires again, so I'm pondering the best setup for winter weather on my RT. After some quick research I'm considering a Bridgestone BT20 on the rear and Metzler Z6 on the front. I've been happy with the Dunlop 220STPs and ran those last winter, but I'll different combos.

Thanks.

-Joel

What is the rationale for running different tires in the Winter?

Yes...good question.

On the track we adjust tire pressures to compensate for track surface temperature and obtain the desired tire running temps. This is less of a concern on street rubber.

If you're riding in wet conditions, you may want to increase tire pressures. This may seem counter-intuitive, but higher pressures (a couple of PSI) will decrease contact patch area and reduce the likelihood of aquaplaning.

I think this may be more of an issue than which tire you are running summer vs winter.

I would think that a tire that is good in wet conditons (high in silica) would be good for cold pavement as well. Meaning it grips well without as much heat. You actually could consider a rain tire... but it wouldn't technically be DOT legal and would wear out pretty fast.. maybe less than 2000 miles somewhat similar to a snow tire on a car used in dry conditions.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

re: "maybe less than 2000 miles somewhat similar to a snow tire on a car used in dry conditions."

heehee - just to add some random noise and diversion to the thread :Cool: - i own 2 cars & i don't even own summer tires for them => i run snow tires on them year round.

i did the math - not worth the cost / time / trouble to have summers as i just don't put on enough summer 'clicks' ( aka summer kilometers) cause i ride my pedal bike to work mostly and now i have rt.

ok the winter tires are not great on hot sunny dry day - it is a trade off.

i can say however the i do manage more than 3000 miles per summer (april - oct) per car and both cars have had the tires for 3+ years....

What is the rationale for running different tires in the Winter?

I wasn't totally sure if it would be helpful or not. Just thought I'd toss out the idea and see if it stuck.

Archived