IGNORED

Riding Gear

Turbosneeze

:/ I am in the market for some riding gears (jacket/pants/suit?) but am not too familiar with the brands out there. Also, what are the pros/cons of a single piece versus 2 piece (jacket/pants separately).

Do you all just wear them as outerwears so you can have regular clothes on underneath?

Please educate me and let me know what brand/make is the best bang for the buck. Thanks all.

I have been using a Joe Rocket Textile Jacket and pants (separate pieces) suit for about 5 years now. It is very comfortable for me all year round. I bought an Olympia Airglide II Jacket last summer and have been very happy with that too. The Joe Rocket Jacket that I have does not vent very well and is much better suited for touring in the cold days. With the Gerbings to keep me warm in the winter, I usually ride all year long unless there is snow/ice on the ground. During the Summer, I wear the Olympia jacket and mesh pants over my work clothes.

I also tried an Aerostitch roadcrafter one-piece suit for a while, but sold it since the sizing was not the best that I had bought.

I wear my regular work clothes underneath and it has not been an issue. During the winter months, it takes a few extra minutes to get ready and to take off all the extras:) I've had people staring at me when I walk in to the office building giving me this look of "he must be a crazy guy" :O

Overall, I am very happy with my two piece suits, since it gives me the flexibility to dress according to the temps. But, I might go back and add a one piece suit to the closet, since it is much more easier to put and take off during the winter days :)

I will be on my 7th season with a Aerostitch Darien jacket and pants and have had no problems. I wash them when needed and follow the procedures for care and I would buy again. Great people to work with and since I live in Minnesooota I went to the factory and had it fit for me. It is nice to be able to just throw the jacket on and head out for a quick ride with the boys and any of the brands can grant you that flexibility. Facing the elements is always the test and "Stitch" has done very well in this department. You will get many posts from riders that complain that they leak around the zippers and are very stiff in the beginning and I too have gotten wet after riding in a major rain/sleet storm but other than a rain suit over the Darien I don't know what would have been better than what I had on. After a few months the stiffness went away and now after several washings it fits to the contour of my torso just right. I wear jeans and a T when warm and when the temp drops I can use the liner or go electric under the jacket, nice to have options.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html

I like and recommend the Stich two piece Roadcrafter. It's made to be worn over your clothes. I've worn it over everything from shorts to a suit. It zips together so it's not much different than putting on a one piece, plus you have the option of wearing just the jacket which I do on hot days when I don't have my perforated jacket with me. You can find all the details HERE

They are expensive, but they last forever and Rider Warehouse has fantastic service. I've had mine for 14 years. (!) I've had it reconditioned once and plan on having a second recondition this winter. During the recondition they fix all the loose Velcro, broken zipper pulls, reflective materials, or whatever. You can have as little or as much done as you want and wish to pay for. They also offer just about any custom tailoring you need if your size ever changes over the years.

++ Tons of pockets, excellent protection, plenty of reflective patches for high-vis, excellent weather resistance, great service, two piece offers jacket only option, just about any custom fit available now or later, will last for years and years, goes on and off very easily over street clothes.

-- Expensive, stiff during the first month. but the material really loosens up, a little bulky with the pads, hot IMO for mid-summer 90 degree riding.

As a Bang-for-the-buck kind of guy myself, I really like the Olympia Airglide 2. Although I rarely wear anything but the basics underneath it is possible. With the liner I can ride down to about 40 or 45 degrees (it is a mesh suit) which covers 90% of my riding. Below that I wear a Kilimanjaro 4 which brings me down in to the twenties (not really what I consider fun).

I prefer two piece suits just because they are easier to deal with at restaurant stops, etc.

Also, the Airglide requires the purchase of some kind of rainsuit if you like to stay dry in the summer. The water protection on the Airglide is the liner and since it's underneath, roadside stops will leave you a bit exposed at change over. Besides, the liner is too warm in the summer.

BMW makes great gear also, but it's expensive. FirstGear stuff is a good value, seems to work very well (except for cheap zipper tabs) and last awhile.

-MKL

Your budget, location, and size, may be factors.

Around here, there is no "one size fits all" approach because of the huge variations in temperature.

If you're an "off the rack" size then there are always EOY sales that the mid level maufacturers have.

TourMaster makes some excellent products.

For example, the Transition 2 and Intake mesh cost about $300 for the pair.

They provide year-round options for jackets.

Same w/the First Gear HT series of pants. If you need tall sizes, they are hard to beat for the options and cost.

Olympia makes an excellent product, some would say it is the "best of the rest" when you move from the top-end high price choices.

Motoport makes custom, durable, highly protective gear. Some swear by it.

Rev'it is another top end choice.

Aerostitch one piece, Darien 2 piece, and Road Crafter 2 piece are top notch (and price).

If you are an odd size, they also do custom.

I've found that because I need Tall sizes, the Tour Master Transition series is an excellent, low cost option. ($152)

Not all manufactureres offer tall sizes, for example, Olympia does not.

I also have a TourMaster Intake jacket.

Coupled with my Gerbings (I use it with both) I can ride from low teens to over 100 degrees.

I often add a rain suit in severe weather, just because, and I stay dry and warm.

I need Tall sizes in pants and the First Gear HT series provides this option.

I have both the regular and Air versions.

The cost of the 2 jackets with liners (multiple ones in the Intake) and the 2 pairs of pants was slightly more than one Darien jacket.

Add the GErbings jacket liner and I'm around the price of a one piece 'Stitch with more flexibility for my location.

I feel I've gotten excellent products at a fair price, and most importantly, I wear them because they are comfortable and they fit.

Best wishes.

+1 on TourMaster. Also, Motoport, Airglide, First Gear, Joe Rocket. You really can't lose if you find something comfortable enough that you'll wear it without complaining.

I think Aerostich is the only one made in the US, if that's important to you. There are also many testimonials along the lines of "I had a high-speed get-off and the 'Stich saved my skin and maybe my bones, too." Who knows if it protects any better than the others, but the 'net wisdom appears to say so. I bought a 1-piece 'Stich because it seemed to be the BMW uniform and all the cool kids had them :thumbsup: The one-piece is nice because it makes me wear pants when I might not otherwise. Protective pants, that is....

I also have a TourMaster Courtech, which is warmer than the 'Stich, and a Joe Rocket Mesh Something, which is cooler. Like I said, anything you'll wear is better than anything you won't.

The best protection you can buy is Motoport Kevlar gear (www.motoport.com) IMHO. Either the mesh gear or GP-2 jacket which is what I have. They make one piece or two piece. For me I would get the 2 piece for convenience. I wear bicycle shorts under my pants. One piece or two piece jacket and pants will run you about $900 but it will last you 15 years. Amortized over that length of time is about $60 a year. Pretty inexpensive for the best protection on the market. A good friend has this gear and has gone down at 45 mph and 70 mph (the 70 mph crash his GS was on top of him sliding down the road) and not a mark on him either time. My own 45 mph getoff 4 years ago convinced me to buy it as well. There are a lot of choices out there to consider so the best thing you can do is research all of your possibilities and make an informed decision. Good luck.

I use Motoport's older two-piece Ultra II Cordura suit. I'm happy enough with it but I see more knick-knacks (pockets etc.) in newer designs. If I pay that much for my next suit I'll be looking closely at BMW and Aerostitch offerings.

I like some of First Gear's jackets (note, some are exactly the same as the more expensive Hein Gerike). Olympia has some of the best bang-for-buck I've seen lately!

I have some Joe Rocket stuff, mostly summer weight for me and leather for my wife. Their quality and design ranges widely so inspect whatever you buy from them.

:/ I am in the market for some riding gears (jacket/pants/suit?) but am not too familiar with the brands out there. Also, what are the pros/cons of a single piece versus 2 piece (jacket/pants separately).

Do you all just wear them as outerwears so you can have regular clothes on underneath?

Please educate me and let me know what brand/make is the best bang for the buck. Thanks all.

Quick question. What type of riding are you doing. Mostly commuting to work or mostly touring?

If you're mostly commuting, the one piece seems pretty versatile (I don't have a one piece).

If you're touring, the two piece is easier to deal with at stops.

Also, if you're touring, and you're doing it through the mountains out West, it's not uncommon to start the day with temps in the mid-30's and end up somewhere where it's 105F. You need something pretty versatile to keep warm in the a.m. and cool later in the day.

The 2 piece roadcrafter has served me very well commuting in Seattle. goretex for the wet, well ventilated for the warm. Zip off the pants for mid-summer heat. It's pretty much a go anywhere, do anything suit. At freeway speeds I've found it's not much (if any) warmer than my perforated Vanson when the mercury hits triple digits. Slow down in town, though, and it's a very different story.

You do need to take into account the riding you do, and where you do it. Two opposing opinions that you see here can work flawlessly for the given environment/riding style.

I like the Olympia AST jacket (highVis) and the AirGlide pants http://www.olympiamotosports.com/home.html. Been through the weather and back and just love the comfort, fit, and venting. I will say it take a bit getting used to the jacket, very stiff at first, but after a couple washes it's all good.

I live in mid-Ohio and we see variety of weather, I'm comfortable in 35 degrees and moving 70 plus MPH no issues. to nice days of 80 plus degrees (yes I do get a bit hot if not moving).

I also ride with TourMaster mesh in very hot days. I would say this, make sure that you are comfortable, and I don't know that their is one silver bullet. So, do you research and get the best that you can, and that is safe.

Good luck,

Joe

R1150RT

+1 on TourMaster,Motoport, First Gear If you are looking for good deals I have bought a few things here on this site. All of the gear is good just personal choice.

I wear the Olympia hi-viz mesh jacket for the warm weather, and I am about to order the AST jacket (32 degrees yesterday). I thought hard about a one piece. Tried on the Olympia one piece suit. Liked the fit and comfort, but it had so much velcro it was almost impossible to get on. Still...seems like a great value for $500. Ultimately I decided to go with the separates (all Olympia) so I can mix and match the mesh and solid, uppers and lowers, to suit the weather.

I use arborwear pants for general riding wear. tourmaster pivot 2 jacket, Aerostich TLTec Wind Blocker Fleece Jacket, boots are redwing work boots and held gloves. Oh and a North face denali thermal scarf or Seirus Neofleece Combo Scarf.

arborwear is inexpensive, so is the tourmaster. Windblocker is a bit on the pricey side but real effective. Redwing makes gret boots with great soles, $$$. Held gloves $$$. Scarf $.

Oh almost forgot, Olympia Hi Viz vest.

My closet is full! I live in a 5-season area of the country, so have a wide variety of clothing/liners to match the weather.

Hein Gericke - leather jacket, shrank in the closet. Too hot in the summer. No armor.

Olympia Air Glide 2-piece - mesh w/ liner. Good for warm days. Seldom use the liner with it, but a nice option to have.

BMW 3/4 jacket - textile, armored. Good for spring/fall. I use the Olympia liner with it, add the pants/liner as it gets colder.

Snowmobile suit - One piece, ? brand. No armor. When it get's cold (<35F), I wear this over the Olympia liners.

New: Tourmaster Synergy heated jacketliner: Just got it, haven't used it yet. Will probably replace the Olympia jacket liner under the snow-suit.

I've been pretty pleased with the quality of all the brands listed above.

As someone who has tested not only the suitability for riding but also for the get off I highly recommend a one piece suit. My suit is an Aerostich Roadcrafter, fully armored.

The problem with two piece on a get off at speed is the possibility of the jacket riding up or the pants being pulled down. Either way the armor moves out of place and the potential for unprotected parts coming in contact of hard surfaces is increased.

A properly fitted one piece will never do that.

There are newer designs on the market now with newer materials so look around.

As a friend of mine pointed out, the two piece is nice cause you can take the jacket off, the problem is, you can take the jacket off. He did and paid a heavy price in skin grafts.

I believe in dressing for the slide and adjusting for the ride. Not the other way around.

Lots of good stuff out there, just make sure you wear it.

As someone who has tested not only the suitability for riding but also for the get off I highly recommend a one piece suit. My suit is an Aerostich Roadcrafter, fully armored.

The problem with two piece on a get off at speed is the possibility of the jacket riding up or the pants being pulled down. Either way the armor moves out of place and the potential for unprotected parts coming in contact of hard surfaces is increased.

Not sure this is an issue with the Roadcrafter two piece. It zips together very securely and appears to act like and offer the same protection as a one piece.

Not sure this is an issue with the Roadcrafter two piece. It zips together very securely and appears to act like and offer the same protection as a one piece.

True there are some great two pieces that attach to each other, just make sure the attachment is secure. There are some major posers as well.

Some of the zip 'togethers' are so cumbersome to do up and undo it defeats the purpose of having a two piece over a one piece.

If you live in SoCal, you may want to look at mesh gear. I picked up a First Gear Torrent Jacket last spring. It's well made, but fits very snugly, especially around my 62-year old hips -- and I still like to think I'm on the trim side. The liner is waterproof, but not insulated.

This fall, I picked up a Tourmaster Transition II, another 3/4 length jacket. I like the fit much better than the Torrent -- it's looser at the bottom, and the front is cut away a little, while the rear is extra long. Nice insulated liner is good down to freezing, but I'm not sure how, even with a bunch of vents, this jacket is going to feel in summer heat. Overall, the Transition is one of the best buys around. New Enough provides great prices and service.

The vents on the Transition 1 work pretty well in warm weather.

I hope the 2 series does as well or better.

To get an idea how much air moves, try opening some combos in cold weather, you'll feel the flow.

I find that being certain I open the back bottom ones (stash area) helps create a flow effect.

Any two of the front 6 vents and the two lower ones will produce adiscernible air flow and with all of them open, pretty good.

However, it really hot times, I have to zip from bottom and the top a bit for more air, and sometimes on long days resort to cooling vest that I find works pretty well with mine.

Remember to use a wicking shirt in hot weather and also open the back top vent.

Sometimes in cool weather I'll use a combo of vents and Gerbings for just the right environment. :Cool:

Archived