IGNORED

KLR Buying?

swfraley

Browsing at the local Honda/Kawi/Yama/Suzi dealer, I found a nice '06 KLR 650 with the outrageous asking price of $4400 or so. Maybe it was $4500. At any rate, it was much above what I was willing to spend for a 3-year-old KLR. I went home and found that Kelley shows $3865 for this bike.

Some marketing firm called today and asked "some questions about my experience." I explained that I didn't buy that day because of price, that I thought the Kelley number was $3400 [an honest mistake], and that I'd be interested at that price.

A short time later, my wife called me at work to tell me that the dealership had called, saying they'd be willing to meet my price. As if I'd actually named a price.....

So, the questions are predictable:

1) Assuming I can get it out the door for, say, $3500 plus tax, is that a good deal for a clean 2006 KLR with 7000 miles, new tires, and no farkles?

2) My stated mission for a new bike is that I'd like to do some dirt roads in the Hoosier National Forest and such. But, my secret motive is that I'd like to get a bike that's big and dependable enough that my son can go camping with me on the RT. Will a KLR do 300 or so miles without vibrating the rider senseless? My sons have a 1986 VFR 750 and love it, but I'd be reluctant to ride it out farther than I could walk back.

3) Are the 2008+ KLRs so much better that a smart buyer would avoid an '06?

I realize that no one can tell me which bike is right for me, etc., etc......

Oh and for you Hoosiers, it's Dreyer Motorsports. Anyone have experience with them?

Klr's are singles and do vibrate but not to excess. Of the dual purpose bikes they are about 70% dirt 30% street if you put dirty tires on them and about 50/50 with street tires. Fro comparison, IMHO, a GS is about 90/10 street. But I ride in the desert and that gets you off of dirt roads and onto single tracks.

Again IMHO I prefer the older style because I get it dirty I have no need for the "Fairing" and like the simpler style. The older bike is also lighter. To my way of thinking the newer one is not an improvment.

It is very easy to get 50 miles per gallon.

With street tires it makes a good commuter and I have done 1000 mile highway trip on it. It will keep up with any traffic. And with a change of seat is comfortable. (stock seat is horrible)

The trick is the tires you put on them. They are very adaptable. I have a second set (e-bay) of wheels with a set of streeter on one and knobbbbs on the other. Ten minutes and you change from one to the other.

The thing is not a racer, built like a tank, and tough. It's a swiss army knife and if you took away all my bikes (11) and told me that I could only keep one and never get another, I would keep the KLR.

It reminds me of riding years ago, simple, straight forward. I like it.

I have an '05. The updated version is prettier, but slightly less capable for the dirt......A little less suspension travel front and rear.

The single most failure prone item on these bikes is the "Doohickey", also known as the balancer shaft chain tensioner. Many are replaced almost immediately. This is the one item that was corrected that really needed it. Buying it from the dealer, it is unlikely you will be able to find out if it has been addressed. Substantial, but not difficult, disassembly is required to either confirm the upgrade or do it.

The price ($3400) sounds to be in the ballpark.......At least that would have been a good deal 6 months ago......I understand used bikes are practically free now.

Assuming I can get it out the door for, say, $3500 plus tax, is that a good deal for a clean 2006 KLR with 7000 miles, new tires, and no farkles?

I wouldn't call it a good deal,more like an average deal.

I paid just over 4k for my 08 with 400 miles on it last winter.Bought it off Ebay.

Do a search in the classifieds over on ADV rider will give you a fair idea of the pricing on KLRs

Will a KLR do 300 or so miles without vibrating the rider senseless?

I rode mine 2000 miles on dirt roads,and then two 650 mile,80 mph+, back to back days coming home with no problems,but some may argue I don't have much sense to start with... :rofl:

The key to a smooth KLR is adjusting the doohicky every oil change.It takes about one minute.

Are the 2008+ KLRs so much better that a smart buyer would avoid an '06?

The 08 has less suspension travel,but is considered to be better than the old style,wind protection is better as well as well the brakes.but the bigger fork tubes,brakes and fairing add up to a few more lbs than the older models

I think its a good trade off.

Some of the first 08 models had oil consumption problems,so bear that in mind.

I like mine...8500 miles this year on dirt and hard surface :clap:.....while the RT collected dust :P

i hAD an '05 and received $3300.00 with 4400 miles on her when I sold it a year ago. (14 months actually).

I miss the '05 - haven't ridden an '08-'09 so can't say anything of value about them 'cept ?I like the changes to the appearance...I think the doohickey still isn't fixed tho'.

Al Navecky Jr
1) Assuming I can get it out the door for, say, $3500 plus tax, is that a good deal for a clean 2006 KLR with 7000 miles, new tires, and no farkles?

Last year I got a 5 month old 2007 with 1700 mile for $3500.00. Now that was a deal.

In October my son (who was in a hurry to buy) bought an '05 with 3 Pelican cases, the dohickey upgrade, and a Corbin seat for $4200. The bike had a little over 3000 miles on it. With more time to look I thought he could do a little better but the extras were worth at least a $1000 to him.

I think this is one of the better first road bikes if you're tall enough for it. Two weeks after he bought it he rode from Bend Oregon to Reno and back. These bikes can travel. At 60-65 vibration is minimal. And it makes dirt roads inviting.

You may want to shop around maybe just a bit. Have been on the lookout locally (in the DC area) for a 650 class dual sport but am in a position to have to trade one (an 04 Triumph America) to get one due to garage space.

Lately it seems quite a few hits on the local Craigslist. Dec 5 was an 06 KLR with 3k miles for $3700. Dec 6 an 06 for $4500 with 4k miles.

Then today it was this 06 KLR with 1200 miles for $2800. Am struggling not to go out and write a check for that one.

I think it is a bit high for "no farkles". I sold an 04 a year+ agp with similar miles plus every farkle known to man including aluminum panniers for $3700. You can spend $2K on farkles pretty quickly so keep that in mind while deciding.

I just bought a new 09 for $5200.00. I was looking at a used 08 but the price difference wasn't significant. I also don't like to buy the 1st year ( or major upgrade) of any bike. I was supposed to pick it up later this week but the forecast calls for freezing rain and sleet tomorrow.

I did test ride a used 08 and liked it a lot.

Bill

R1200RT

My local dealer had it for $6400.00 which included freight, set up, taxes....etc.

Both dealers within 50 miles will give it to me for 5180 plus tax. Ends up being around $5600 out the door. Plus the dealer I bought it from told me he would let me watch the 600 mile checkup so I can learn how to do the valve adjustments myself! Seems like a pretty good deal.

Bill

Plus the dealer I bought it from told me he would let me watch the 600 mile checkup so I can learn how to do the valve adjustments myself! Seems like a pretty good deal.

Unless something has changed recently,1st valve adjustment is at 15k,with no 600 mile checkup..

FLIronButtRider

IMHO, the main difference between the 08 and prior models is the brakes. Pre-08 KLRs are likely better off road but those brakes were almost non-existent on road. The 08+ models have MUCH better braking. And hANNAbONE is correct, the doohickey has not been fixed on the 08's.

If your interested in reading about a couple guys on a road trip, using a KLR 650 & a KLR 250 to travel from the USA to the southern tip of So. America, take a look over here .

Those KLR's are fairing a lot better than I thought they would.

Plus the dealer I bought it from told me he would let me watch the 600 mile checkup so I can learn how to do the valve adjustments myself! Seems like a pretty good deal.

Unless something has changed recently,1st valve adjustment is at 15k,with no 600 mile checkup..

Dealing with the UJM dealers is not like dealing with my BMW dealer. I have a great BMW dealer (Hermy's) who always answers my questions honestly. I really wanted to buy a used Dakar but I just didn't like the one I test rode this summer. The KLR fits me better and brand new is $2,000 less that a used Dakar. I asked 3 Kawasaki dealers about oil changes and valve adjustment intervals and got 3 different answers. I think they just made up numbers.

The general consensus from reading the various KLR forums is the valves should be checked at 600, 3,000 and then 15,000 miles. Oil changes seem to be more frequent than the BMW at around 2,000 miles.

Bill

I asked 3 Kawasaki dealers about oil changes and valve adjustment intervals and got 3 different answers. I think they just made up numbers.

The general consensus from reading the various KLR forums is the valves should be checked at 600, 3,000 and then 15,000 miles.

My owners manual does not indicate any valve adjustments or checks until 15k.If kawasaki has enough faith in this engine to go with those service intervals,I'm going to roll with it. :thumbsup:

I'm at 9k so far with no valve checks or problems,thats the beauty of this bike,its inexpensive,very little maintance,simple to work on,and it does everything I want it too.

IMHO, the main difference between the 08 and prior models is the brakes. Pre-08 KLRs are likely better off road but those brakes were almost non-existent on road. The 08+ models have MUCH better braking. And hANNAbONE is correct, the doohickey has not been fixed on the 08's.

That doohickey upgrade job looks like it is a major difficult project, or am I wrong?

Archived