IGNORED

ILL Governor Arrested by FEDS

Bud

Special elections are expensive.

Best bet would be to have a TV reality show where the constituents came up with onerous tasks for the wannabees and eventually a sole individual would prevail.

Or, like the car dealership contests where the last one touching a car wins, we could let all the candidates reach out and touch Obama.

Last one still touching, wins.

Harry_Wilshusen

I say randomly pull an Il state tax. Do a full blown audit for the last five years on the person. If no mistakes or cheating is found give him/her the job. Keep doing this until someone passes.

Might take awhile......

Harry

Bill C and his sister Jan were power brokers who had no equal, ever, in Illinois or any other state. At one point in IL, if you wanted a state job, they either said yes or you didn't get the job!

It is really bad when people from Arkansas make fun of Illinois politics.

John Ranalletta
Bill C and his sister Jan were power brokers who had no equal, ever, in Illinois or any other state. At one point in IL, if you wanted a state job, they either said yes or you didn't get the job!

How do you know Janice and Bill? Janice was a grade school classmate and the Cellini's were childhood neighbors. In fact, Janice is arranging a class reunion. Maybe I should ask for a job.

We could start filling these vacancies by lottery. In fact, a lottery is already in place in most states, so very little would need to be done to kick it off.

On second though, scratch that. Doing so would likely drive down ticket sales, and then we'd probably wind up with the same numbskulls anyway.

John Ranalletta
We could start filling these vacancies by lottery.
The lottery analogy works. Most lottery tickets are purchased by uniformed, mathematically-challenged people who want something for nothing.
John Ranalletta

On Dec 11th, Ill is scheduled to issue $1.4 billion in bonds. Lawyers had to add this addendum to the bond issue announcement.

How does this impact risk and rating?

addendum_2.png

FYI from Wikipedia--

The Seventeenth Amendment provides that "the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct."

Funny thing about the 17th Amendment, and how things in Illinois never change:

http://www.mchenrycountyblog.com/2008/05/how-about-historical-marker-for.html

Lumberman Edward Hines bribed 40 Democratic members of the Illinois General Assembly in 1909 with $100,000 to elect Chicago Republican "Blonde Boss" William Lorimer to the U.S. Senate. A new Model T Ford cost $875 in 1909.

The scandal about how Lorimer got to Washington brought on the Progressive Era's direct election of United States Senators--the 17th Amendment to the United States Constitution in 1913

On Dec 11th, Ill is scheduled to issue $1.4 billion in bonds. Lawyers had to add this addendum to the bond issue announcement.

addendum_2.png

I'm sure that will put to rest any idea that these bonds could possibly default..I think I'd rather buy California bonds.. :rofl:

We could start filling these vacancies by lottery.
The lottery analogy works. Most lottery tickets are purchased by uniformed, mathematically-challenged people who want something for nothing.

Oh, you mean voters then. shog.gif

How do you know Janice and Bill? Janice was a grade school classmate and the Cellini's were childhood neighbors. In fact, Janice is arranging a class reunion. Maybe I should ask for a job.

I guess I shouldn't comment. :lurk:

Since Obama's seat will be vacant, the governor can appoint his replacement. However, because of the scandal, the Illinois legislature may decide to vote to require a special election to fill it.

From a financial standpoint, selling the seat makes sense for both the state and the selectee. A special election is an expensive proposition for the state, and buying the seat through an open election (how else can you characterize what our elections have become?) is horribly expensive for the candidates, each of whom must spend large amounts for an uncertain outcome.

Far better that the high bidder gets the seat and saves everyone some bucks. Right? At least, I figure that's what Blago's defense will be; there's not much else he can claim.

Pilgrim

Since Obama's seat will be vacant, the governor can appoint his replacement. However, because of the scandal, the Illinois legislature may decide to vote to require a special election to fill it.

From a financial standpoint, selling the seat makes sense for both the state and the selectee. A special election is an expensive proposition for the state, and buying the seat through an open election (how else can you characterize what our elections have become?) is horribly expensive for the candidates, each of whom must spend large amounts for an uncertain outcome.

Far better that the high bidder gets the seat and saves everyone some bucks. Right? At least, I figure that's what Blago's defense will be; there's not much else he can claim.

Pilgrim

No pay - no play...At least both parties get what they're promised..That's a better deal than the public gets when they elect the guy who promises the most to the most and then renigs after taking office....But then come to think of it the public IS getting what it deserves. :)

Lets_Play_Two

Pilgrim

Only problem with that is that the law to make the change would require the governor's signature!!!

addendum_2.png

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=32199

Illinois has postponed a $1.4-billion short-term debt offering scheduled for Thursday. And late Wednesday, credit-rating agency Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services said it may downgrade the state’s AA general obligation bond rating, citing a growing deficit and concern over “the legal charges now facing the governor and his chief of staff.”

The deal required signatures from the governor, the comptroller and the state treasurer, as well as certifications from the Illinois attorney general.

“Certification indicates the attorney general isn’t aware of any impending or threatened litigation or any controversy questioning his ability to remain in office,” says a spokesperson for Ms. Madigan, referring to the governor. “So we’re reviewing whether we can sign the certifications.”

Archived