IGNORED

ILL Governor Arrested by FEDS

Bud

Great day for citizens of Illinois. The Feds wire tapped our Governor and arrested him today. He was trying to auction off the Senate seat to the highest bidder.

This is the tip of the iceberg. He is much more corrupt than that.

I heard the story on the way in to work this morning on (yeah Whip - it's a preset :) ) NPR.

I wanted to discuss it, but I'm not so sure how this thread will go. So, just an obvious pointer about keeping it as non-political as possible...

With that said: I can't see how him saying basically "this is a big thing and I want to make money off of it," on a legal wire tap is "no big deal."

I would have loved to have seen the look on the person's face who initially listened to/transcribed that wire tap.

I heard the story on the way in to work this morning on (yeah Whip - it's a preset :) ) NPR.

I wanted to discuss it, but I'm not so sure how this thread will go. So, just an obvious pointer about keeping it as non-political as possible...

With that said: I can't see how him saying basically "this is a big thing and I want to make money off of it," on a legal wire tap is "no big deal."

I would have loved to have seen the look on the person's face who initially listened to/transcribed that wire tap.

It is non-Political. Our former Governor, who is now in a federal pen in IN was a Republican. We have crooks from both sides in Illinois. It's a part of our history. We have had more former Governors in prison than any other state.

The state motto: "The best government money can buy."

It is non-Political. Our former Governor, who is now in a federal pen in IN was a Republican. We have crooks from both sides in Illinois.

Now THAT'S what I call bi-partisanship. :grin:

I've been watching this story with some interest also. I met Rod Blagojevich when he was campaigning for Gov. as he just about tackled those of us getting of the Metra on our way to work in Chi-Town. It was like that scene in the original Dead Zone movie - when I shook his hand I foresaw a bad ending to the story.

I noted that the Govy and the Tribune weren't playing well. With Tribune Co. filing for bankruptcy yesterday, it seems that the motorcycle riding Sam Zell (hey, it's a motorcycle thread Leslie!) still has a few assets left in his arsenal.

Such a great city with its zany politics...

Yeah, even though Blagojevich is a member of my political persuasion I’ve been hoping for years they’d finally corner that guy. What a slime ball.

In exchange for a plea bargain and testimony, it would be interesting if the governor names other notable Illinois politicians involved in the corruption. I'm not naming names of course.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
A politician who's corrupt????? Why...that's unheard of!

FIXED!

I would consider the original statement bordering on a violation of our politics rules, no? Coming from a moderator no less.

russell_bynum

FIXED!

I would consider the original statement bordering on a violation of our politics rules, no? Coming from a moderator no less.

I don't see how. I didn't name (and didn't intend to name) any particular political persuasion or party.

Having no knowledge of this particular governor, I had to wade through six main-stream news articles trying to identify his party affiliation. None identified him as a democrat. I finally found it on Wikipedia.

russell_bynum
Having no knowledge of this particular governor, I had to wade through six main-stream news articles trying to identify his party affiliation. None identified him as a democrat. I finally found it on Wikipedia.

I have no idea what political party he's a member of. My post had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any particular party/person/etc.

The very first article I read on the topic (AP feed on Yahoo News) identified him as a Democrat. But then again maybe the AP isn't in on the secret liberal media conspiracy.

The very first article I read on the topic (AP feed on Yahoo News) identified him as a Democrat. But then again maybe the AP isn't in on the secret liberal media conspiracy.

Super. I'll ask you next time to save time.

I just heard an interesting comment from Pat Caddell, a political pundit, who grew up in Chicago and knows all about Illinois politics. And I quote, "if you don't think Obama knew about this (gov. trying to "sell" senate seat) we all might as well start believing in the tooth fairy again".

I just heard an interesting comment from Pat Caddell, a political pundit, who grew up in Chicago and knows all about Illinois politics. And I quote, "if you don't think Obama knew about this (gov. trying to "sell" senate seat) we all might as well start believing in the tooth fairy again".

Obviously Obama was in on it from the start. The whole run for the presidency thing was just a scam to cover it up. The TRUTH needs to be told!

Obviously Obama was in on it from the start. The whole run for the presidency thing was just a scam to cover it up. The TRUTH needs to be told!

I just wish Illinois politicians could be as clean and law abidding as those found in Alaska.

I will say that I make all efforts to avoid paying Illinois taxes. Whenever crossing hte state, I only buy gas when possible in Iowa, Missouri, WI, Indiana or Michigan. Unfortunately the nearest Sams Club and Best Buy are located in Illionis... but it's at least a river town, so I can make an acception.

As an official member of the Chicago elite who grew up in the Stockyards, I am deeply offended by this disclosure. Hizzonner (Richard J. Daly, for the uninformed) would never have countenanced this behavior.

The whole run for the presidency thing was just a scam.

I could not agree with you more. The President-elect was protected and sheltered by the media and reporters the entire campaign. I have never been so disgusted with politics and politicians from both sides. Do any of them have ethics, honesty, morals, or values? It sure as hell does not seem like it. IMHO we should fire all but a few who have demonstrated that they are working for the people.

Well I don't know about the rest of you but I'd like to see a Special Prosecutor appointed to investigate the Blagojevich - Obama connection. That is what this country needs right now. (Wow, I think I may have even scooped Rush on that idea.)

Well I don't know about the rest of you but I'd like to see a Special Prosecutor appointed to investigate the Blagojevich - Obama connection.

Smiller don't stop there. How about a S.P. to investigate Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, Franklin Raines, and Jim Johnson for campaign kickbacks and the housing meltdown. How does a democrat like Henry Waxman get to investigate his brethren? Do you really think democrats investigating democrats will go anywhere? That is like asking the bear not to eat the salmon as they jump into his mouth.

Dave McReynolds
Well I don't know about the rest of you but I'd like to see a Special Prosecutor appointed to investigate the Blagojevich - Obama connection.

Smiller don't stop there. How about a S.P. to investigate Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, Franklin Raines, and Jim Johnson for campaign kickbacks and the housing meltdown. How does a democrat like Henry Waxman get to investigate his brethren? Do you really think democrats investigating democrats will go anywhere? That is like asking the bear not to eat the salmon as they jump into his mouth.

Now now, don't be bitter.

Right after the Bush-Haliburton connection.

It is non-Political. Our former Governor, who is now in a federal pen in IN was a Republican. We have crooks from both sides in Illinois. It's a part of our history. We have had more former Governors in prison than any other state.

They don't always get caught!

4142.jpg.0ff1d5da2c4fb6f1685e45c60f83d2e0.jpg

John Ranalletta

Me, too. But seriously, folks...

The O wasn't involved, but anyone with more than two working brain cells who succeeds in Illinois politics is either dirty or knows who is and knows how much the dirt cost.

Bitter? Bitter? Why the heck would I be bitter at politicians who believe they are above the law and especially the ones that have brought our financial system to its knees, then want to write the oversight legislation and expect us poor middle class saps to F*ing pay for it?

1228878129.jpg

I don't care who you are, that is one of the funniest pictures ever posted on the board. Good one.

1228878129.jpg

I don't care who you are, that is one of the funniest pictures ever posted on the board. Good one.

We should probably explain that for the non-Illinoisians or the younger folks among us:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,942440,00.html

Illinois Secretary of State Paul Powell had a simple definition, expressed in the negative, of a successful politician: "There's only one thing worse than a defeated politician, and that's a broke one." For 42 years, Powell was an undefeated politician. Now, three months after his death, at age 68, his executor, the Illinois attorney general and the Illinois Bureau of Investigation are taking the true measure of his success. Powell, who in his lifetime of public service never earned more than $30,000 a year, left an estate worth more than $2 million—$800,000 of it in bills packed into shoe boxes, briefcases and strongboxes in the closet of his hotel suite in Springfield.

Paul Powell had a pretty simple method of grafting - all the checks people wrote for driver's licenses and license plates and vehicle registrations had to be made out to "Paul Powell", not "State of Illinois" or even "Secretary of State". Then he just cashed some of them for himself.

BTW, I highly recommend reading the criminal complaint against Blago with all the wiretapped conversations:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/acrobat/2008-12/43789434.pdf

It's one of the most amazing things I've read in a long time.

ROD BLAGOJEVICH said that the consultants (Advisor B and another consultant are believed to be on the call at that time) are telling him that he has to "suck it up" for two years and do nothing and give this "motherf****r [the President-elect] his senator. F*** him. For nothing? F*** him." ROD BLAGOJEVICH states that he will put "[senate Candidate 4]" in the Senate "before I just give f***ing [senate Candidate 1] a f***ng Senate seat and I don’t get anything."

Later in the conversation, ROD BLAGOJEVICH said he knows that the President-elect wants Senate Candidate 1 for the Senate seat but "they're not willing to give me anything except appreciation. F*** them."

My favorite is the part where Blago is trying to get the Tribune to stop calling for his impeachment by offering the prospect of the state buying Wrigley Field from the Cubs (who are owned by the Tribune):

In another call between ROD BLAGOJEVICH and Deputy Governor A that occurred a short time later on November 3, 2008, ROD BLAGOJEVICH and Deputy Governor A discussed an editorial from the Chicago Tribune regarding the endorsement of Michael Madigan and calling for a committee to consider impeaching ROD BLAGOJEVICH. During the call, ROD BLAGOJEVICH’s wife can be heard in the background telling ROD BLAGOJEVICH to tell Deputy Governor A "to hold up that f***ing Cubs s***. . . f*** them." ROD BLAGOJEVICH asked Deputy Governor A what he thinks of his wife’s idea. Deputy Governor A stated that there is a part of what ROD BLAGOJEVICH’s wife said that he "agree with." Deputy Governor A told ROD BLAGOJEVICH that Tribune Owner will say that he does not have anything to do with the editorials, "but I would tell him, look, if you want to get your Cubs thing done get rid of this Tribune." Later, ROD BLAGOJEVICH's wife got on the phone and, during the continuing discussion of the critical Tribune editorials, stated that Tribune Owner can "just fire" the writers because Tribune Owner owns the Tribune. ROD BLAGOJEVICH's wife stated that if Tribune Owner's papers were hurting his business, Tribune Owner would do something about the editorial board.

That's the thing that really hurts - all this time we though Rod was a true-blue Cubs fan. ;)

skinny_tom (aka boney)
We should probably explain that for the non-Illinoisians or the younger folks among us:

Thanks. That was completely over my head.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

FIXED!

I don't see how. I didn't name (and didn't intend to name) any particular political persuasion or party.

Puh-leeze. :P

russell_bynum

FIXED!

Puh-leeze. :P

Trust me...this isn't a vast right wing conspiracy. It just seems like "Illinois Politics" and "corruption" go hand-in-hand. These people re-elected a mayor who bulldozed the runway of an active airport in the middle of the night with aircraft on the ground...without notifying the FAA or even the f***ing control tower at the airport.

Given my political leanings (which are not certainly not secret), I can see how you might think I was going after a party or even inferring something about the President Elect. That was not the case at all. As I said...I didn't know what party the Gov was affiliated with, and the President Elect honestly never even crossed my mind when I made my original post. So...I clarified my original statement, but you guys keep at it....insisting that there's something there where there isn't.

Whatever. :wave:

To further bolster my man Russell's party agnostic position on this topic, one must consider that US Atty Patrick Fitzgerald is not necessarily high on the current President's invitee list for an overnighter in the Lincoln bedroom.

If you recall, Fitzgerald was on the famed list of candidates pegged for dismissal by former US Atty Gen Alberto Gonzales. Gonzales is gone due to the fracas, Fitzgerald remains. Gotta give some kudo's to this guy, he hangs tough. This doesn't seem to be driven by overly partisan politics. Blago was just a bad guy.

Lastly, they don't call Chicago the Windy City because of the wind. It's due to the constant velocity coming from the orifices of its politicians.

Dave McReynolds

Since Obama's seat will be vacant, the governor can appoint his replacement. However, because of the scandal, the Illinois legislature may decide to vote to require a special election to fill it.

Pardon my ignorance, but how does one go about selling a senate seat? Are those not elected positions?

When a senate seat is vacated between elections the Governor appoints a senator to serve thr remainder of the term. Gov Blogoyocrook was looking to appoint the highest bidder. This varies from state to state.

oops too slow

Dave McReynolds
Pardon my ignorance, but how does one go about selling a senate seat? Are those not elected positions?

Gov Blogoyocrook was looking to appoint the highest bidder. This varies from state to state

Which state do you think would have come up with the highest bidder?

Joe Frickin' Friday

When the seat is vacated prior to the end of term (due to death or, as in the present case, resignation of sitting senator), the governor gets to appoint someone to the position. And if you're a corrupt governor, you make your choice of appointment based on the receipt of large amounts of cash or other items of value.

From what I've been reading there are some checks/balances along the way, so that an obviously flawed choice by the governor will not be allowed to stand.

Gov Blogoyocrook was looking to appoint the highest bidder. This varies from state to state

Which state do you think would have come up with the highest bidder?

Ill of course.

When an Senator resigns (as Obama did after he became President-elect), depending on the laws of the state he represents, in Illinois, the State Govenor appoints his replacement. IN some other states, there is a special election. In some others, the legislature might appoint the replacement. Personally, I'd prefer to see a speical election. I don't like the fact that possibly a Democratic senator would resign, then a Republican Govenor could appoint a Republican in his place, when the constituents clearly close a Democrat in the first place.

I personally, would rather see a special election. It's clearly demonstrates how corruption can come into play here. Another solution might be to have hte Govoner appoint the replacement, but the state senate must confirm the selection. Of course, in that case politican deals may be made.

One way or another, without a special election, someone must buy and sell the appointment...like all appointments to some degreee... the are rewards of some kind. In this case however, the method of payment wasn't political favors or compromises, it was actualy cash, jobs or other forms of private compensation.

John Ranalletta

When the seat is vacated prior to the end of term (due to death or, as in the present case, resignation of sitting senator), the governor gets to appoint someone to the position. And if you're a corrupt governor, you make your choice of appointment based on the receipt of large amounts of cash or other items of value.

From what I've been reading there are some checks/balances along the way, so that an obviously flawed choice by the governor will not be allowed to stand.

Perhaps, instead of condeming the gentleman from Illinois, we should congratulate him for not being hypocritical about his motives as usually is the case.

The NY governor has the same task to perform. Don't think he isn't mulling over how his choice will auger to his future benefit; otherwise, the best tack would be to pick a blue-ribbon commission, place candidates' names in a hat and pick a winner.

Trust me...this isn't a vast right wing conspiracy. It just seems like "Illinois Politics" and "corruption" go hand-in-hand.

As much as I hate to agree with Russell on a political issue :D one of the more remarkable facts about Illinois politics is that when it comes to corruption, we're bi-partisan. For example, Tony Rezko has been a fundraiser for or donor to Blagojevich, Obama, Democratic politicians Comptroller Dan Hynes, Attorney General Lisa Madigan, Lieutenant Governor Pat Quinn, Chicago Mayors Daley and Washington, and former Cook County Board President John Stroger, and Republican politicians Governors Jim Edgar and George Ryan, the late Rosemont Mayor (and alleged mob associate) Donald Stephens, and President George W. Bush. And his co-conspirator William Cellini is a Republican power broker who is also a contributor to Blagojevich. As Cellini was quoted, "When we're in, we're in. And when you're in, we're in. We're always in."

And Russell, you may appreciate this news item about John Harris, Blago's chief of staff who was also arrested yesterday:

John Harris has a picture on his office wall that shows him standing at Meigs Field on that infamous March 2003 night when Mayor Daley sent in the bulldozers to carve giant X's on the runway.

"He was supervising the destruction of Meigs. He took a lot of gusto in that," said a former colleague.

Finally, is this the opportunity you dream of as a news photographer, or what?

4150.jpg.ac817269d5f78c1d46d078741b2f9af2.jpg

Lets_Play_Two

FYI from Wikipedia--

The Seventeenth Amendment provides that "the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct." Some states provide a special election to fill a vacancy. A special election for a Senate seat need not be held immediately after the vacancy arises; instead, it is typically conducted at the same time as the next biennial congressional election. If a special election for one seat happens to coincide with a general election for the state's other seat, then the two elections are not combined, but are instead contested separately. A senator elected in a special election takes office immediately and serves until the original six-year term expires, and not for a full term. Furthermore, any state legislature may empower the Governor to temporarily fill vacancies. The interim appointee remains in office until the special election can be held. The states of Alaska,[5] Arizona, and Massachusetts[6][7][8] do not authorize the Governor to make temporary appointments.

Archived