IGNORED

NikWax

BarOne

I see folks mentioning NikWax as the way to go for laundering waterproof garments (think BMW Gear). There are so many different products these guys make -- which do you recommend for washing and which for waterproofing and are they different? Where is a good place to buy the stuff?

I'll take your answers while stretched out in my recliner!

Thanks.

I see folks mentioning NikWax as the way to go for laundering waterproof garments (think BMW Gear). There are so many different products these guys make -- which do you recommend for washing and which for waterproofing and are they different? Where is a good place to buy the stuff?

I'll take your answers while stretched out in my recliner!

Thanks.

It depends on the type of garment.

For garments that have a GoreTex layer (or other brand breathable, waterproof material) laminated to the textile shell like the BMW StreetGuard 2, you wash with Nikwax Techwash first then wash again with Nikwax TXDirect. Washing GoreTex with regular detergent can cause it to loose its waterproofness (if that's a word).

For textile garments that don't have a GoreTex layer (or other brand) laminated to the textile shell like the BMW Rallye 2 Pro, you wash the textile shell with Nikwax Basewash and then you can either wash with Nikwax TXDirect or spray with Nikwax TXDirect spray. With jackets like the Rallye 2 Pro that have a removable GoreTex liner, you can wash the GoreTex liner similar to the StreetGuard 2.

For leather or textile golves, use Nikwax Glove Proof.

• 1 year later...

Can you comment on how well the NikWax treatment works? I'm having a hard time believing that washing a pair of riding pants in anything (other than concentrated waterproofing agent) would create a lasting waterproof outcome. The test is to ride in hard rain for at least an hour and not have a puddle of water in your crotch... Please share your experience.

Thanks!

Paul Mihalka

Problem is all rain pants are 100% waterproof in the crotch. Water seeps in there from higher up and then can't get out :grin:

Can you comment on how well the NikWax treatment works?

Last years Spank rally was 500 miles of the worst rain I have ever delt with. My two piece 'Stitch kept me dry. I use NikWax soap and retreatment stuff. I do the wash in stuff first, and then take it out of the dryer early and spray it down all over the outside with the spray on version. Rub it in to the Cordura with your hand, so that the nylon is soaked with it. After it hang drys for a day or so, I use a liberal application of Kiwi Camp Dry. It is an aerosol can of stuff that I suspect hastens global warming. I use it on the forward facing parts of my 'Stitch and over the shoulders. I haven't had that combination fail in any thing that I have ever ridden thruough.

Quite honestly, I had no way to evaluate the difference between NikWax washed clothes and any other soap. Sorry I am not more help.

I would like to know if a Nikwax product would be a suitable choice for washing road grime out of the BMW Santiago pant.

Any other care suggestions would be appreciated.

i have used Nikwax on a number of occasions and the stuff certainly works.Use the spray on stuff if you have a built in Liner as it will stop the membrane breathing. Also make sure that the garments are clean before application.

NikWash to launder, followed by NikWax to water repel/proof. I use it and am very happy with the results.

Phil, you could use WD40 and be happy. It hasn't rained in southern California since 1993 right? :rofl:

Archived