IGNORED

How the West Was Won...Sorta

azkaisr

I am going to write a tale in full here as opposed to posting it on my blog (I may repost it there later) because this one was really about the great friends I have met here.

We have talked a lot about getting together in Arizona for some riding in the winter before but since many of the folks here are really into dual sporting lately it became clear that we were actually going to do it this year. Being dirt friendly we decided to rough it and camp as well. This is the story of that adventure.

It is about 11am Friday and I am still getting hammered with work calls. Seems with the fiasco of the Auto guys, I can't get a break and it feels like every corporate flight department in North America is worried about budget cuts. Do these people not know I am late to meet the Hoons at the Lake? Enough already, I tell my Admin to send my calls to voice mail and I get my buddy Rick and we take off to the lake. He is in from San Antonio for the week on business and is going to hang with me and the gang out on the lake for a few days. We decide sort of at the last minute to head out via the Apache Trail. As we get near the Lake, I mention that I see a few bikes behind me and one of them is in a loud jacket that my pal Twisties has. Soon enough it is apparent that they are our group.

432338016_kngY2-XL.jpg

Twisties rocketing by us on the pavement!

432341588_SPbkX-XL.jpg

We catch him in the jeep once we get to the dirt.

432334925_z9WgS-XL.jpg

The nomads are already making themselves at home roughing it out here.

433167346_2gmxF-XL.jpg

You can see that base camp life will be a true test of their resolve

433166708_BqUUo-XL.jpg

Chris takes it upon himself to be the "fireman"

432341125_fAcvh-XL.jpg

I go and catch the sunset on the water while the Hoons continue to gather

432364475_4EUCD-L.jpg

Jamie and Whip keeping the world in balance

432339760_3hQuR-XL.jpg

We may not be smart but we for sure aren't clever

432330732_8MmRB-XL.jpg

Mrs. Whip had all sorts of food out for us. I tell you she is just AMAZING!

432332956_Hdhrx-XL.jpg

Mr Happy arrives soon enough

432334244_N5KSV-XL.jpg

Did I mention my man Chris is making a mean fire? Man it was good to be warm cause it was cool out in the desert.

I end up riding with Rick back out to my house and return the next morning. I have to answer the 74 emails about nothing important. I get up and head out in time to get a great breakfast Saturday.

433178372_JX6fq-XL.jpg

First man I see is Butters! I has been too long since I got to see my pal from Tucson. We chat a bit and I make the rounds to see Timmy and little Sammy too. It is great but then I notice it.

Love is in the air out here let me tell you.

432342069_SbEFT-L.jpg

One of the top 100 Finns I know is there getting a hug from the ever lovely Camille

432336516_nJv3a-L.jpg

Mr. Happy and Janet getting into it on the trailer ramp.

Diane is studying for a big test Monday so she is not coming to the lake. I miss her a lot but understand. It is great that everyone asks about her too.

But we aren't here to just kiss each other. We are here to get out and ride! I take the folks not riding out for a little Jeep Tour.

432333780_ejfv5-XL.jpg

We climb out to the East of the Lake and make our way along the road towards the pines nearby

432333684_MycME-L.jpg

The majestic Saguaro is a plant I never tire of photographing. They are worthy.

But we keep climbing and soon enough we are out in the pines and having a grand time in the Jeep.

432332564_Cr9sK-XL.jpg

I catch these guys darting over the road. As usual. NO BEARS.

432339346_RWvJz-XL.jpg

I am on a mission to bring back the glory days of early 70's Album Art. Tell me this doesn't look like that to you. From Left to Right Chris "House" on Lead Guitar. Ely "is coming" on the Bass Guitar, Louise "Fingers" on Keyboards and backing vocals, Rick "Squishy" on Drums, and Mr. "Two Shocks" Lead Vocals and Rhythm guitar.

432347584_8Rv3B-M.jpg

We roll back into camp to hear about the fun that the others had. I think we win though because the record company is giving us a big advance. The other folks are stuck in tents!

432350179_22h5B-L.jpg

Tim has us in stiches with #14, a rare funny joke even to me

432348775_DXz4W-L.jpg

But Sammy steals the show!

432352077_ZNoJd-L.jpg

We eat like kings. Chase away Javelinas

432344818_RSV3q-L.jpg

Drink enough Scotch that wearing White Mittens gets to be a sign of being cool

432337307_C9gY9-L.jpg

And fall asleep under the stars of the desert. It don't get much better than this.

More tomorrow.

Kaisr

russell_bynum

Sweet!! That's exactly how I spent my day on Saturday...except I changed poopy diapers and went to Costco instead of going to the desert for a dualsport ride with friends!

Other than that, we had the exact same weekend.

:dopeslap:

Sweet!! That's exactly how I spent my day on Saturday...except I changed poopy diapers and went to Costco instead of going to the desert for a dualsport ride with friends!

Other than that, we had the exact same weekend.

:dopeslap:

You too, huh?!

I gotta find a better job and stop missing these things!!!

Excellent Weekend! Thanks guys for making it happen!

Special thanks to Mrs. Whip. To quote Texas Chris, "I don't think I lost any weight during THIS trip"

I'll let the more photographically gifted ones to post more pictures, but I'll just say one thing. Dirt riding never looked this good before....

dsc00708cqz2.jpg

dsc00719cwm8.jpg

--

Mikko

I did think "Album Cover" before I even saw the caption. Must be something about my age. What was the name of your group?

Great photos and it looks like a great trip too.

Tom, thanks for posting only the suitable photos. The weekend was well worth the 17-hour drive. AZ has gold-medal roads!

So... is Killer really changing his board name to Mr. Happy?

We are now mobile and agile

The new injecter has been installed and we are gonna drive through the night.

Story and pix to follow.

Special thanks to Jan(Twistie) for staying with us while we got things worked out.

Whip

Was there a time when you were not?

Got stranded somewhere or just decided to take care of it before you DO get stranded?

Was there a time when you were not?

Got stranded somewhere or just decided to take care of it before you DO get stranded?

My source told me that the Whip-Mobile had some sort of starting problem. I was advised that professional mechanical assistance was required to get the Whips back on the road.

Hey Whip and Louise, glad to hear you are repaired and on the road.

Looking forward to the pictures!

432351203_i64FV-XL.jpg

Dawn broke Sunday Morning but the blue skies were short lived as a low moved in from California. I guess they were jealous

432349586_ufB6w-L.jpg

I spent the night in the back of the jeep and was very comfy! I will be buying a Futon mattress from IKEA for the CA trip, but the Jeep is going to be almost as good as Whip's RV!

432345960_BvFu9-M.jpg

Our Hero well rested but ready for a day of adventure...after some coffee of course

432354165_dCnxh-XL.jpg

Louise gets my vote for most amazing person on this trip. She did so much for all of us and was great in the jeep too! Here she is dishing out breakfast.

432345326_mn6S7-XL.jpg

This Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast and sausage looks amazing.

432348214_PZYzw-L.jpg

But I am trying to be healthy

432352884_eth5c-XL.jpg

I still am not sure where those purple streaks came from on my plate!

432350735_F5ork-XL.jpg

Even the Vegetarians are happy this morning!

432355678_JKG3e-L.jpg

This is as close as I get to riding because the tailbone :( Maybe next time

433129961_o3wgj-L.jpg

Philly Flash even shows up on his RT and takes off on Whip's Dirt Bike. I will let them tell that tale though

433128979_7bAkK-XL.jpg

Whip wastes no time hoping on Chris' KTM to give chase!

433129527_S376N-L.jpg

All the while Bob sits waiting for his chance to try and kill them out on the trail.

432357961_kCtdE-XL.jpg

While all the moto's scatter, we take off in the jeep to go explore.

Now we take off on a small fire road and I decided to take a left and not go into the mountains. As we cut through the Cholla forest the road turns into a trail, then into a ATV track as it makes it way out into the desert. I am not concerned but do not want to back track. We come to a point and at first I think we have hit a dead end because all of the ways down look pretty steep. Then I see the trail heading down a bit of a slope. The ladies choose to walk down the hill. Chris and I decide to ride down.

432356596_unGy5-L.jpg

It is always tough to show the real steepness of the hill, but this picture comes close.

432357364_gLjFM-X2.jpg

We make it down and back out to the road. The colors in the lower desert are finally changing and winter is coming even here.

433130342_hgaMQ-L.jpg

On the way back we see two of these guys out in the marshes near the top of the lake on a nest.

What a great group of friends I have.

I can't wait for them to add their adventures to this thread.

See you down the trail partner

Kaisr

Typical rock and roll story.

Looks like the band broke up already. :grin:

I think we are planning a Reunion Concert for New Years. We may have an opening for a drummer though :)

Nice pix Tom.

We are home after driving through the night.......you won't believe what was waiting for us.

Snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Chris* took off for Houston.

Whip....the tired. :P

I got to Richmond with time to spare for my 1:45 pm appointment with Richmond Bone and Joint Clinic. After X-rays were taken, the doctor had to resort to torturing me to find out where I was hurt. Then when rereading the pic's, he decided there may be a bone chip as well as some ligament damage. He put me on crutches and sent me to get a CT scan. Will know Monday whether it will be a cast or some screws then a cast.

In spite of my stupidity, I had a great time. As soon as I crutch out to the car and unload my camera I will post some pictures and maybe a note or two.

It was great meeting new people and seeing others I met in Silver City. I can't thank the Whip's enough for their hospitality.

A most worthy 'Tale and pics, my friend! :clap:

I can't tell you all how much I needed that little get-a-way! :)

Mondo thanks to Whip and ESPECIALLY Mrs. Whip for the hospitality, the floor space and the PHENOMINAL food! Too many others to thank, but you all know who you are and you have my sincere gratitude for making my little extra tag-on for my otherwise "working trip" a real pleasure!

Sorry I'll miss the band's reunion tour in San Antonio, but I'll see some of the rest of you in Beatty for DVD/MLK next month! :clap:

Was kinda like the walking wounded were left to win the West, huh. What with Tommy and Camille arriving in various stages of disrepair, and so many of us adding ourselves to the their ranks...

I'm holed up at my mom's in Surprise. Called to SLC for some muscle relaxants for my back, and thinking I could head out tommorrow.

What a great time! Superb dirt riding. As always, great folks. Kudos to Pat from Rim Riders for leading the rides. Louise (Mrs. Whip) totally outdid herself. Larry did a lot too. Thanks for making the event a success!

Was great to get a chance to see everyoneand do some riding in the winter. Let's do it again next winter.

PhillyFlash did great on his dirt ride. I think Whip and Killer have some pics of that particular adventure. We had steep grades with cobbles, deep ruts and cliffs. Wasn't really right for a first dirt ride, but Philly (Howard) hung in there with good cheer.

The scenery was otherworldly. Must go back.

Jan

Maybe we'll try to plan another one for mid-late March. The weather is usually very good around then - not too hot, not too cold - and the desert may have lots of wildflowers, making it even more worthy. If there's interest, we could probably pull it off. If not, next fall would be good, too.

Whip generously let me use his bike, as Chris' might have been a bit too much for my first real dirt ride. Last year I road dirt for the first time (on something other than my RT) with Bounce for a few miles on fairly easy roads. The roads on Sunday were nice and easy to begin, but became very knarly with steep uphills-downhills with multiple deep ruts, various sized rocks, and loose gravel surface, but fortunately, little sand or mud. I did well on the first half of the ride, not falling at all, but was tired on the return, and made a couple of mistakes. The bike went down twice at very slow speed, and I went down three times, also at low speed. Got my second wind after awhile, and the rest of the ride went fine. It was tiring, but was a great ride, with great company. Thanks for watching out for me, guys. Looking forward to doing it again.

Maybe we'll try to plan another one for mid-late March. The weather is usually very good around then - not too hot, not too cold - and the desert may have lots of wildflowers, making it even more worthy. If there's interest, we could probably pull it off. If not, next fall would be good, too.

Whip generously let me use his bike, as Chris' might have been a bit too much for my first real dirt ride. Last year I road dirt for the first time (on something other than my RT) with Bounce for a few miles on fairly easy roads. The roads on Sunday were nice and easy to begin, but became very knarly with steep uphills-downhills with multiple deep ruts, various sized rocks, and loose gravel surface, but fortunately, little sand or mud. I did well on the first half of the ride, not falling at all, but was tired on the return, and made a couple of mistakes. The bike went down twice at very slow speed, and I went down three times, also at low speed. Got my second wind after awhile, and the rest of the ride went fine. It was tiring, but was a great ride, with great company. Thanks for watching out for me, guys. Looking forward to doing it again.

Without Pictures...... ;)

azkaisr001.jpg
As Tom said Chris seemed intent on a signal fire that could be seen from the space station...

unfortunately that led to a terrifying sight the next day

IMG_1869_800.jpg

but his intentions were pure

IMG_1870_800.jpg

and his aim was good

IMG_1871_800.jpg

Looking at the sophisticated "camping" equipment...I'm surprised you didn't have a hydraulic log splitter for the Duralogs. :lurk:

That was on your to bring list bucko.

orig.jpg

Just wondering what secrets were buried there in the desert? :lurk:

I brought those for Jamie KMG365.......I thought he might feel more at home with an axe and shovel by the fire.

:grin:

orig.jpg

Just wondering what secrets were buried there in the desert? :lurk:

What happens in the desert, stays (buried) in the desert. Nobody has mentioned that we were right at the edge of the Superstition Mountains, the mountains famous for the Lost Dutchman gold mine that people have been seaching for for over a hundred years. Many people have died, or been killed, while searching for it, and many have never been heard from again. Maybe next time we can make it an "In Search of the Lost Dutchman Mine" ride. Tommy Two Shocks can drive the support jeep to help us haul out all the loot. We can do a little research on some possible locations.

Whip,,PIC"S :lurk: Whats the hold up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You been hangin out with JohnLT........

I've been home for about 28 hours. Prior to that I had not been to bed for 48 hours. Now I have piles of paper to sort and two more of my competitors want me to buy em out. In other words. I'm BUSY.

Go pet Sammy

:P

You been hangin out with JohnLT........

I've been home for about 28 hours. Prior to that I had not been to bed for 48 hours. Now I have piles of paper to sort and two more of my competitors want me to buy em out. In other words. I'm BUSY.

Go pet Sammy

:P

If your so BUSY,,What are you doing on ST site,,OK Im going to pet Sammy now,,, :rofl:,,Touchy

He was busy dancing...

Now let me get this straight (pieced together from various posts):

Chis broke/tore the crap outta some part of his body?

Whip broke down in the WhipOnMobile (500 foot motorhome)

Killer still isn't in charge of himself...

Jamie got a ticket...

But no tale yet to support any of these stories?

Sounds like a perfect weekend!

Archived