IGNORED

Career Limiting Moves

Kitsap

He would think a staff room full of people could be such a lonely place when you tell your second level manager that his idea is a turd. :dopeslap::eek:

I've done similar things a few times throughout my career. I've always chalked it up to uncontrollable honestly. I've been fortunate however that a couple of those instances ended up advancing my career.

As long as you called the IDEA a turd, and not the manager, there may be daylight at the end of the tunnel.

If you're unarguably right in your assessment of the idea, then you've built a good plank on which to promote yourself.

OTOH, it could be the plank off of which you'll be marched overboard...

Hi Wade! :wave:

Sometimes it seems like you need to be brave (or perhaps, an idiot) to point out the obvious.

If you thought the idea was a bad one and could explain why, IMHO, you were doing your job. If the idea can't survive an honest evaluation on the merits, it shouldn't be implemented.

"Turd"... were those the exact words? In many cases standing up to a superior can definitely be a positive move. I think it depends on that particular manager's standing with their superior.

Like other's said, you have to get noticed to be promoted... equally, you have to get noticed to get fired. IF you stay off the radar somewhat, as I personally tend to do without any current ambition to be a manager. I try and let my work speak for itself.

Francois_Dumas

These things can work two ways.

I have been promoted for being honest (and correct), and in the end it has cost me my (then) career as well. Go figure.

Mind you, I wouldn't change that even if I could do it again.

However, should I have a chance to do it all over again AND knowing what I know now, I would most likely not pursue such a 'career' again, but take my chances and start my own business right from the start.

With hindsight, life is so easy !

So the IM's came flooding in from my group, all but one said good call on stating the obvious, non of them said a word during the meeting. My direct manager is okay with my objective, dissenting view point and stated he valued my candor. The presenter nor his idea was ever called a turd directly but feelings were hurt. If it bites me in the long run I'll figure out a way to move on, it's only work not life.

So the IM's came flooding in from my group, all but one said good call on stating the obvious, non of them said a word during the meeting. My direct manager is okay with my objective, dissenting view point and stated he valued my candor. The presenter nor his idea was ever called a turd directly but feelings were hurt. If it bites me in the long run I'll figure out a way to move on, it's only work not life.

I will say that I have been pushed to the limit by a project manager. I finally wrote a long scathing e-mail basically telling him that he didn't have a damn clue what he was doing. It unfortantely has made it somewhat uncomfortable working with that group, but I don't completely regret drawing the line in the sand. The guy didn't have a formal schedule, no clear communication, and worse, was a micromanager, but didn't understand the subject matter, and couldn't even ask the right questions to better understand what he was deciding.

Sometimes the reality is that manager come up with bad ideas, but it's the peopel that work for them that must live with hte decisions. In my case, if engineering installs some bad equipment, they move on to the next project, but operations and maintenance have to live with it and make it work. So while i might alienate engineering, I'm going to bat for operations and maintenance. Ultimately I report through maintenance, but I'm still not playing nice with others. That can come back to bit you if you find yourself needing capital money.

Dave McReynolds

When I used to be a partner in a large CPA firm, I often found myself in the same situation, although I can't recall ever actually calling my boss a "turd." But I do recall all kinds of people complaining to me about various aspects of company life they didn't like, and if I happened to agree with them, I would occasionally raise the issue in a staff meeting. Sometimes I got into rather spirited discussions at those staff meetings with my boss, which would involve him yelling at me across the table and waving his finger (which is the CPA firm equivalent of opening up on me with an AK-47). At no time did any of the people who raised the problems with me ever come to my support, which eventually led me to the conclusion that while I had talents, predicting the outcomes of interactions with people wasn't one of them. So now I happily make my living by pushing numbers around and coming up with brilliant ideas for people.

BTW, the CPA firm didn't work out for my old boss either. He and I have turned out to be good buddies, and he traditionally shows up about 3:00 PM on October 15th to officially close my tax season by having me do his tax return and drink wine.

Ah yes, my unfortunate area of expertise. Being a righteous bastage and an expert in my I.T profession, I have always followed my principles even if it might not be financially wise.

In my last job at a now famous financial institution, Bear Stearns, I stated numerous ways to save the company upwards of 5 million (more like 8-9 million if I had more control). But middle management had already committed to some of the expenses and didn't want a reversal since they would look stupid in the eyes of senior management. It didn't matter that the savings were very tangible and real.

Since I was a consultant, they didn't have to fire me. At the next contract renewal period, they just didn't renew. There wasn't a single person in the entire group of 35 that felt it was right. But hey, that's what a "team player" is supposed to be: one who sucks up all the time, every time. I hate that word. All the work I had done was reverted back to the old way just to keep their jobs.

This scenario has repeated itself too many times throught my career.

Unfortunately, I have seen too many morons in the I.T. industry that I have decided it's time to quit. My personality doesn't permit me to be successful in middle management. Being in upper management would work great but it's hard to make that jump without having the right contacts. My wife thinks I'm an idiot for throwing away a very good 6-digit income. Perhaps I am. But at the end of the day, I feel righteous and that's what counts to me. Besides I'm debt free and enjoy taking care of my 3 kids: 7, 4, and 2 years old.

So after 17 years, I've applied for unemployment and cashed in all the checks. Being a jack of all trades and a master of a few of them, I'll be starting a home improvement and/or photography business in Jan 09.

I'm not sure it was career limiting, but it was definitely a public gaff. While giving a presentation to a large group I heard snickers, more snickers, and out and out guffaws. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Better check the zipper - no, it's in the up position. Well, better check the verbiage on the slide on the wall. The bullet was supposed to read:

Public Inspection File

But instead it proudly proclaimed:

Pubic Inspection File

No one will ever forget that presentation!

I'm not sure it was career limiting, but it was definitely a public gaff. While giving a presentation to a large group I heard snickers, more snickers, and out and out guffaws. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Better check the zipper - no, it's in the up position. Well, better check the verbiage on the slide on the wall. The bullet was supposed to read:

Public Inspection File

But instead it proudly proclaimed:

Pubic Inspection File

No one will ever forget that presentation!

Oops!

I must be paying for bad karma. My wife just broke her wrist this afternoon. While running facing traffic her reaction to an oncoming car that had veered towards her caused her to fall. She didn't get a chance at the license plate.

Excuse me while I shut myself in.

Tell you what I learned from my son: Just agree with whatever your boss says--and then DON'T DO IT! Most everything just goes away and fades with entropy--as long as you don't draw attention to it by waving a red flag in front of the bull. If you do, then you'll be tracked and monitored for compliance.

Francois_Dumas
--as long as you don't draw attention to it by waving a red flag in front of the bull. If you do, then you'll be tracked and monitored for compliance.

Oh, I don't know. Bull fighters seem to do it all the time and get away with it most of the time :grin:

Archived