IGNORED

Windscreen problem

sck166

Now that it is cold, my windscreen has decided to stop working! It was intermittent for awhile, it would go up, but not down. Now it will not go up or down. What do I need to look for as far as checking the connections before I replace the motor itself?

There are two relays - one for up, the other for down, under the dash cover. Check these for damp/corrosion first, then check the switch is clean.

Oh, and a general rule - 90% of automotive electrical problems are caused by poor ground connections. The -ve earth system causes the ground terminals to corrode first.

Andy

Now that it is cold, my windscreen has decided to stop working! It was intermittent for awhile, it would go up, but not down. Now it will not go up or down. What do I need to look for as far as checking the connections before I replace the motor itself?

sck166, difficult to tell what you have there..

The cold weather might have caused some extra motor or linkage load & caused a fuse to blow (that would leave both up & down non operation)..

Start by checking the # 1 (4amp) fuse & the #3 (15 amp) fuse..

If all OK there about all you can do is use a voltmeter or test light verify both relays & the handlebar switch’s brown wire has a good connection to ground,, that both relays are getting good power on the red wires,, & that the yellow/?? wires are properly grounding the relay trigger circuits when the appropriate handle bar switch is pushed..

If all OK with the above verify the purple & blue wires going to the motor are powering & switching polarity when trying to power the windshield up or down..

Maybe a quick test would be to listen to or feel the relays for triggering when trying to raise or lower the windshield..

Places to suspect= The wire harness where it bends with handle bar usage,, wire connector corrosion,, push button corrosion,, motor itself..

Twisty

save all the wondering, invest the time in pulling the 2 relays, clean the terminals and spray everything with contact cleaner, then WD40, put it all back and theres a very good chance it will work as new :)

only if it doesn't work do you need to go through all the wiring :P

I don't have anything constructive to add to the windshield issue, but a general question. Regarding ogjimbob's statement below:

clean the terminals and spray everything with contact cleaner, then WD40, put it all back and theres a very good chance it will work as new :):P

If one does spray WD40 over the cleaned contacts, would that not contaminate the contacts with oily residue from WD40. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

I don't have anything constructive to add to the windshield issue, but a general question. Regarding ogjimbob's statement below:

clean the terminals and spray everything with contact cleaner, then WD40, put it all back and theres a very good chance it will work as new :):P

If one does spray WD40 over the cleaned contacts, would that not contaminate the contacts with oily residue from WD40. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Personally I’m with you. I would never use WD-40 on electrical contacts. But then people seem to spray that stuff at just about anything.

Thanks,

it would certainly cut the risk of corrosion :P however, I am no scientist, I just repair stuff for a living ;) I would point out however, that at no point did I suggest spraying anything on the contacts, just the terminals which are exposed to the elements and could probably do with an oily residue to protect them.when I did this with mine the relays were sealed types, so the contacts are safe from me and my WD40 :) if you have a better product then please use it, however WD40 is made for the purpose and most people have it in their garage.

if you swap the relays over first of all, you will be able to tell which one is broken

sevenup, that really won’t tell him much.. First off, the windshield won’t go up or down now so if the relays are swapped that just means it won’t down or up..

Secondly,, the relays are both used in both directions as one relay powers one leg of the motor as the other relay grounds the other motor leg.. For the opposite direction they just switch duties the power relay does the grounding & the ground relay does the powering..

Twisty

Where are the relays? There is no noise at all when I press the switch up or down.

the relays are buried in the front nosecone of the bike, they are a PITA to get at and if you do some searching I am sure there is a tutorial on how to do it , either on this forum or the wider internet :)

As mentioned they are in the front faring, in the forward mid-left area.

Once the side panels are off it’s not much harder to remove the front. Is this an 1100 or 1150? Details are different slightly but basically you remove the windscreen, the dash cap (1150) and dash, then two large bolts on each side and the front virtually falls off.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

i would guess that once you locate and pull the relays you should be able to jumper the two pins that are the motor power circuit and see what happens by means of trouble shooting....

i would guess that once you locate and pull the relays you should be able to jumper the two pins that are the motor power circuit and see what happens by means of trouble shooting....

Cameron, more than 2 pins involved.. BOTH relays are used at the same time for the up & down direction.. One relay grounds one motor lead while the other relay powers the other motor lead.. That process is swapped for the other motor direction..

Twisty

Where are the relays? There is no noise at all when I press the switch up or down.

sck166, no noise AT ALL?-- I presume that also means no relay clicking sound when you push the up or down button, correct?

If no relay click I would more suspect the handlebar switch assembly or no power from BOTH relays to both switches,, or a broken ground wire leading from the switch assembly.. The first thing to look at is for a blown fuse in the main fuse box.. If OK there then possibly a problem in the L/H multi function switch or a broken switch ground wire.. Unless both relays failed at the same time (very unlikely) most else would leave one of the two relays operational so you would at least have a relay click when pushing either the up or down button..

1100dashwiring.jpg

Twisty

Twisty,

There is no noise at all when I move the switch. I haven't had time yet to troubleshoot. I am going to start at the switch and go from there. I did check the fuses and did not see any blown ones. I'll try to look at the switch tonight and let you know what I found.

Thanks,

Steve

Well, I took the switch apart and cleaned everything with contact cleaner. Still no luck.....I went in behind the dash, but I'll have to wait until I get time to take all of the plastic off to get at all of the connectors.

Archived