IGNORED

04 RT Servo Brake Failure Warning?

SAMSAR

In the past several months, I have seen my brake failure light come on 3 different times while at the same stop light and I'm not sure what's causing this. Here is the Scenario...

The morning commute is 76 miles of which nearly all of it is highway. At the end of my exit off-ramp, there is a stop light which is generally Red. After coming to a complete stop, my Brake Failure light comes on and, understandably, my front brake becomes harder to pull. When I continue on my way, the light goes off similar to what we experience when starting the bike and it doesn't happen again.

My current bike is a 2004 RT with 15K and brake fluid was changed by me in springtime at 7K. Fluid levels and brake pads are fine and within specs. I've been doing this service for the past several years with no problems.

Assuming there isn't any sort of Servo Bermuda Triangle at this stoplight, does anyone have thoughts on what is causing this???

Thanks!

Paul

Paul, what is the warning light(s) doing (flashing,, or steady,, etc) that can tell us a lot by how the light flashes & what lights are on..

Your situation sort of sounds possibly like a low voltage situation.. Are you riding with a lot of extra lights or heated gear on? If so try turning those off a few miles before you exit the hi-way to see if that makes a difference..

Also on the 04 bike try only using your rear brake pedal at the light or both ft/rr but once stopped transfer to the rear pedal only.. That should allow pump shut down & less battery drain while sitting at the light..

Twisty

Thanks Twisty,

Only light is Brake Failure... I'm not positive, but believe it is steady. I'll watch more carefully next time for confirmation.

I was thinking voltage as well but didn't want to lead anyone down a specific path. But, wouldn't 75-80 mph steady rpm's ensure that the bike is maintaining charge? Odyssey Battery isn't even a year old yet. Alternator belt was in excellent shape last check, as was tension.

I have nearly every farkle possible but they are generally not all on at the same time for the work commute. GPS, Autocom, and Gerbings jacket likely was on during most recent occurence.

Thanks Twisty,

Only light is Brake Failure... I'm not positive, but believe it is steady. I'll watch more carefully next time for confirmation.

I was thinking voltage as well but didn't want to lead anyone down a specific path. But, wouldn't 75-80 mph steady rpm's ensure that the bike is maintaining charge? Odyssey Battery isn't even a year old yet. Alternator belt was in excellent shape last check, as was tension.

I have nearly every farkle possible but they are generally not all on at the same time for the work commute. GPS, Autocom, and Gerbings jacket likely was on during most recent occurence.

Paul,

_General warning light ON, ABS light off = rear light/brake light defective… But that wouldn’t make the system pump shut down..

_General warning light OFF, ABS light ON = Only residual braking in both circuits.. That would leave you without power assist..

Knowing what light was on & if flashing would tell us a lot..

If you have a chance stop by your local BMW dealer & have then pull the stored ABS codes as that should (hopefully) point to the problem area..

Twisty

Twisty

Of the many things I have learned in my life about computers the first thing that comes to mind it GIGO. Garbage in garbage out. My soon to be departed 92 Corsica had a problem with ABS actvating when excuting a slow turn. I would loose almost all of my brake pressure. Three different mechanics looked at it and told me I was nuts or replaced mechanical parts of the brake system. Finally I noticed a patern and replaced an ABS sensor on one side. Problem solved. A few years later My rescue squad had a brand new pierce heave rescue that went out of service for an ABS light on. A month and many mechanics later a factory rep came down and replaced a sensor.

Moral of the stories is if you feed a computer garbage you will get garbage back. It amaizes me the the automotive fix it people have yet to figure this out. Remember this when the tech says it is not reproducable.

Archived