IGNORED

Maintenance Video and feeler gages

Dans08

What is the most recommended maintenance DVD/Video for working on the R1150RT? I have a 2002.

Will standard automobile feeler gages work for adjusting the valves or is there a set that is preferred? The pictures I've seen had one feeler gages being used to adjust two valves at a time so I don't know if a standard 3" gage will work.

For the feeler gauge, it just needs to be the right thickness.

You don't have to insert a feeler in two valves at once, you can do one at a time, but if you do it's nice to have two feeler gauges for each thickness (a total of two for intake and two for exhaust).

Wurth brand feeler gauges are popular for Beemer valve adjustments and are sold in the correct thicknesses. You can buy them from several online sources, including some BMW dealers.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

my adice (which comes with lifetime money back guarantee!) - buy two inexpensive sets of feelers (ensure contains the required size first of course) and take the set apart - mine sets had a small bolt and nut but some have rivits - which you would need to drill out.

tie the two exhaust gauges together with a piece of string (say 12"). tie the two intake gauges together with a piece of string... voila - ready for action.

the string keeps things organized - makes things easier to handle and if the gauge slips out does not drop to the floor. you can also have all 4 in place at the same time which i think is the recommendation.

i did the valves on my own without a video - just with the helpful guides that i pulled off the web.

search this forum - valve adjust is a popular topic.

Yeeha! Stephen

Take a look at this Video and it will help somewhat.

It has some special tools you won't have, but you can adapt.

Best to take everyone's style/reccmmendations about service and pick out the best info and develope your own style.

I have some friends that are really anal about service and some not so much. I am (most of the time ;) )

Good luck!

Cameron, I have to agree with your idea of getting a couple of feeler gage sets and using just what I need. That seems like an inexpensive way to do it and it will work.

Stephen, Is that from a maintenance DVD? It looks like something I should get. It doesn't play back good for me with my internet service or this old PC.

Yeeha! Stephen
Stephen, Is that from a maintenance DVD? It looks like something I should get. It doesn't play back good for me with my internet service or this old PC.

No, it's off a Web site for Police bike training. http://www.bmwmc.net

There's some good info on it if you can find a better connection/pc. Several pages in the service manual section are worth printing off and putting hard copies in your garage notebook/ring binder.

I like the two separate feelers and have 2 for each set of valves. Got em from a BMW dealer, they have color coded plastic ends on them and I keep them in the tool kit on the bike. Can't remember what they cost, but it wasn't out of sight. :wave:

I find two guages to be the way to go ... you'll be surprised to get the first gap setting spot on, then adjust the second one and watch the first guage fall on the floor ... adjustments made to one valve affect it's partner. I set the gap so that the guages still slide but each will stay horizontal all by themselves. Just 'sticky' enough to stay where I put it, but still moveable.

Take a look at this Video and it will help somewhat.

Those FREE on-line videos aren't bad and you won't go wrong, but...

The 55 second mark did make me chuckle when he states that the cylinder head cover bolts have to be undone in a criss-cross manner. Those fasteners are torqued to mere 8 Nm (5.9 lbf.ft.) and hardly need any criss-cross tightening or loosening. In fact, I use a screwdriver with a hex or Torx bit to tighten them down...they have a "stop" on the fastener that only needs to make contact with the head in the first place.

Well, I went and got two sets of feeler guages now I just need to read the manuals and go for it. When I'm done adding my LED brake light and the driving lights I will adjust the valves and the TB. Hope to get this bike turned in nicely. I like it like it is and can't wait to see the difference after the adjustments. At just about 29K, I'm sure it wont be a waste of time. :)

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

hey Dan - i went back thru your posts - see you were looking at a couple of bikes, and if go far enough back in your posts can see you asking about RTs in general (coming off a "GL1500" - & looking at your avatar you have already been everywhere on it). looks like you made the plunge. congrats.

can you tell us about the bike you got?

color and miles and farkels and history and such so we can enjoy vicariously your new acquisition?

how does the new toy compare to the GL1500?

are u just doing vales & TB synch? (not plugs, drivebelt, brake and clutch fluids...?)

what tool are you going to be using for the TB synch?

Hey Cameron, the states colored in on my avatar are the states I passed though and visited many time while I had my GL1500 which was 7 years. Most of my riding on the GL1500 was in New England.

A two week trip in 05 took me to the west coast and back, 7500 miles. That was a blast and I would like to do it again but at a slower pace, more back roads.

That bike was traded in for a GL1800 which after about 7 months was traded in for a 2002 R1150RT with 28k+ miles on the clock.

It is a silver bike with black saddle bags and a trunk. I will be adding driving lights, a LED brake light, I will add my GPS to it and maybe a CB. I do want to have bike to bike and rider to passenger communication other than that, I'm not going to go to crazy with the farkles.

How does this bike compare to the 1500? Well, it's hard to compare the two. I liked the 1500 very much and was very comfortable on it in slow tight maneuvers as well as at speed. It did everything well but it was a heavy bike. What I like about the RT is that it is 200 lbs lighter and has a smaller foot print if you will. I've only had the bike for about a month and haven't spent much time on it but right now I can say I'm very happy with it and can't wait to put some time and miles on it.

I will be going right though this bike once I learn more about it. I replaced all fluids on the 1500 every year or two, I replaced the head bearings, and pulled the drive shaft for lubing every 10k miles. I like working on bikes and this RT will be well maintained. :) I look forward to getting help from you guys and helping others as I learn more about these great bikes.

Sorry about the book. :)

Archived