IGNORED

AT&T Wants me back

Bud

Gave me some special codes to use when I switch back to them. :rofl:

I always wonder why they didn't give me these good deals when I was a long time customer, maybe I would have stayed.

Ever seen the "slowskys" commercials? It's true. AT&T couldn't pay me to use their internet services again.

I've seen 'em. Can't get AT&T (DSL of any sort, in fact, other than IDSL, which I used to have to suffer with.)

That said, I pay Comcast for their super-fast plan, supposedly to get 16 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up (or some such), and most of the time, I'm lucky to get past 1 Mbps downstream. Now, if I'm up surfing at 3 AM, I can usually get it fast, but that's about it. What am I going to do? Call Comcast Customer "Service"? Pfft.

I guess I was more focused on the cellular side of things. I've had horrible experiences with Sprint/Nextel, Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T. IMHO, AT&T is the least horrible of the bunch (Sprint being the worst as far as customer service goes.)

I've never had the "pleasure" of dealing with AT&T for anything physically wired in my home.

Greg, you might give Sonic.net a call. I wonder if they might be able to get you into something more performant. They are always exploring emerging technologies in broadband.

Weren't they doing metropolitan area point-to-point wireless at some point? It looks like they've dropped that. Some others have done that out here in the past, with pretty mixed results. (The best was, ironically, Sprint, but they've long since discontinued the service, despite the transceivers on many roofs around here.) The best I've seen was a friend who's a VC and had invested in a major WiMax player. They put a pre-WiMax antenna outside his office in Embarcardero Center and one outside his apartment when he lived out here. Alas, a little to rich for my blood.

I can always see if they've got something out here, though. I was working on something around 2:30 this morning when my connection again just mysteriously up and died. I don't know when it came back, because it halted my work, so I went back to bed.

Right now Verizon is digging in our culdesac laying the fiber optics cable for their FIOS system. Currently we have on Verizon the home phone and DSL for the computer. Our TV is still with a modern "rabbit ear". With FIOS available we plan to go triple phone/internet/TV. Any comments, experiences, advice?

Right now Verizon is digging in our culdesac laying the fiber optics cable for their FIOS system. Currently we have on Verizon the home phone and DSL for the computer. Our TV is still with a modern "rabbit ear". With FIOS available we plan to go triple phone/internet/TV. Any comments, experiences, advice?

Hey Paul, We've got the FIOS triple. Downside on the phone is if you lose power the phone, TV and internet will go out after the mini-ups battery that comes w/the interface box fails. (You could always back that up with another ups).

TV service has generally been good, HD picture quality beeeeuuutiful. Set top boxes are OK and you can watch something you recorded on the HD DVR on a set top box in a different room. There is the occasional digital audio/video blip, but no worse than antenna or Comcast.

Internet... nice and fast, can't tell when the kids get out of school and people start coming home from work like with Comcast. The router requires a power cycle from time to time and has some issues with peer/peer networks where your pc talks to many systems at the same time (like LimeWire and torrent stuff).

Customer service isn't exactly stellar, but better than Comcast. Then again that doesn't take much.

-Joel

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Ever seen the "slowskys" commercials? It's true. AT&T couldn't pay me to use their internet services again.

I've seen 'em. Can't get AT&T (DSL of any sort, in fact, other than IDSL, which I used to have to suffer with.)

That said, I pay Comcast for their super-fast plan, supposedly to get 16 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up (or some such), and most of the time, I'm lucky to get past 1 Mbps downstream. Now, if I'm up surfing at 3 AM, I can usually get it fast, but that's about it. What am I going to do? Call Comcast Customer "Service"? Pfft.

When I had a few connection issues, Comcast sent a guy out to troubleshoot. He checked the resistence of my lines, replaced a bunch of connectors, gave me some high quality splitters, and re-checked the system to make sure we were within spec. FREE. You might want to encourage them to do the same... also, maybe you want to persue a refund for the difference in the speed you pay for vs. what you get.

When I had a few connection issues, Comcast sent a guy out to troubleshoot. He checked the resistence of my lines, replaced a bunch of connectors, gave me some high quality splitters, and re-checked the system to make sure we were within spec. FREE. You might want to encourage them to do the same... also, maybe you want to persue a refund for the difference in the speed you pay for vs. what you get.

The thing is, I can get that speed, but only during way-off-peak times. At 5 PM today, my connection will be crawling, if my last several telecommuting Fridays are any guide. At 2 or 3 Saturday and Sunday afternoons, it will again crawl. I think we're just oversubscribed out here, and with the whole area set to be razed at some point, I don't think anyone is going much infrastructure work.

We have had the triple plan with Fios for one year now and we have been very satisfied with it so far. We had a total idiot installer the first time they were installing the Fios (phone/internet) system. There were a total of 7/8 installers here in a 2 day period. The first idiot put 8-10 staples in the line when he was installing it. All he could think about that afternoon was getting out of here to start his weekend. Other than that debacle the service has been very good.

Archived