IGNORED

I need to get from Statue of Liberty to Unrally

randy

My 14 year old son will be with me on my trip up to the 2009 Unrally. Coming from Atlanta we are stoping at John Brown Fort, Harpers Ferry Natl park, Philidelphia /liberty bell, and statue of liberty / ellis Island.

That part of the trip is already planned,

I will be leaving the statue of liberty on Sunday August 9 and want to arrive at the unrally site around 4pm on Monday August 10.

I am thinking around 350 miles per day. I would like to go into the Catskill mountains, Adirondack and Green mountains.

Would like to stay off highways, and ride "the good roads" as much as possible. Dustin is an excellent passenger and loves the curves. Of cours Chris K let him ride with him, so now I am to slow, but that is another issue :-)

so what are the can't miss roads between New York and Lancaster, NH

Also any can't miss historical or signifant tourist locations would be nice.

If you provide a basic description of the roads, I can string the various recommendations together to make a route.

If you want to send me something I am doing all this in mapsource, but I also have street and trips.

thanks for any help you can provide. Dustin and I are already very excited about this Unrally.

North in NY, staying on the west side of the Hudson (Catskills, Palisades, etc.) all the way into the Adirondacks. I don't know the mileage, but you can go all the way up to Lake Champlain, take theferry across to Burlington. (Eat lunch!) Then Rte 2 east across VT and into NH.

(I presume detours all along that basic route).

Rts 8, 10, 28, and 30 in the Adirondacks are all good, and different. Great scenery! Rt 100 in VT is excellent as well. Rt 17A and Rt 28A in the Catskills are excellent. Coming out of NYC consider Rt 202 along the Ramapoo river in NJ and up into the Catskill area.

Got a Garmin?

yes I have a Garmin 2730, and I am using mapsource to create my routes.

so far

Friday August 7 I drive/trailer the bikes to Harpers Ferry, WV.

Saturday visit John Brown Fort, Harpers Ferry Natl park, then up to Liberty Bell museum, and on up to Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island.

Sunday and Monday still to be determined. But i will start looking at your recommendations now.

If you have a garmin map file, please e-mail it to me

randyetheridgeATourfamilyDOTusDOTcom

Hi Randy,

You might want to consider picking up the Taconic State Parkway around Tarrytown, NY. I've run this up along the Hudson and it's a pleasant, if not challenging, ride with plenty of vistas and scenic overlooks. Looks like you could be around half way to the UN when you get up to N Adams, MA or Bennington, VT. Either would provide overnight accomodations, eats, etc.. From there up you'd have lots of choices. Have fun.

You might consider the following:

rt 97 Port Jervis to Hancock NY along the Delaware River

rt 30 Hancock to Schoharie NY

rt 74 or rt 8 to Ticonderoga (restored fort and panoramic view from Mt Defiance) (rt 9n along Lake George is nice but expect summer traffic)

Crown Point State park at the Champlain Bridge (ruins of the original French fort and later English earthen wall fort plus an nice small museum)

rt 17 Champlain Bridge across the Appalacian Gap in the Green Mts of Vermont

thanks, actually my son has been studying the constitution in school this semester and we have done a lot of work on it. I think I will make sure to at least swing by that. Independence Hall, Liberty bell, and Constitution will be a nice trifecta

No matter what road you choose, they should all be good to great. with all of the history in this region, there is tons to see. Many different Hudson river Vistas and sites ..Olana , West Point, follow the Taconic on the east of the Hudson or up Rt. 9 and 32 through small towns along the west side of the Hudson, Rts 10,28,32 are again good choices. There is the Old stone fort in Scoharie, Howe's cave nearby where there is an actual boat ride in the cave. Adiroundacks have Lake George, home of the Americade where if you go to that site, I think you can link to some routes, to the North is Ticonderoga where there is another fort. A ferry ride across the Champlain to Vergines Vt. is also different. The Albany- Saratoga area WILL be very busy in August so beware. The Flat track Thouroughbreds will be in town for racing. I will be leaving most likely Monday morning from my Home or camp in Troy and can meet up with you if you will be in the area. Planning on a NY rt 7 to Vt Rt 9 to Rutland, Vt. across and up on Rt. 100 to the east border of Vt and to the UN. Very beautiful and twisty in parts of the mountains.

Bob

Bob,

I did that route two years ago rt7 from Troy to rt9 VT north bound and on to York harbor MA(great lobster Mmmmm) - one more area you might find interesting is Albany Rt 9n towards Lake George and cross over on Rt 4 east to VT right through the Green Mountains and on words towards 100. It's truly a beautiful country (just hope you don't catch any rain :-).

Plenty of time to plan - can't really go wrong. If you head towards Lake George stop by and enjoy some great food (I spent many summers there as a kid growing up). The route has many places to stop and enjoy local hospitality.

Joe

R1150RT

Keep the suggestions coming, I am slowly finding these roads. Some have been more difficult than others to find. But I am getting it. Also I am having Dustin help me plan the route, and that is pretty cool. He is looking stuff up on the internet and when I told him we were getting him a passport so we could go into Canada he was really excited.

For me the more detailed the better. for example if you say Rt7 from Troy to Rt9 vermont, and there happens to be a good mid point, something like Rt7 from Troy going thru XXXX to Rt9 XXX in vermont really helps me out. thanks again for all the help.

Now that I think of it, I cannot wait, can we move the unrally up to may 11? I am already too excited to wait :clap:

Randy

Deb and I will probably be at my mom's house in the Catskills. We plan to head up to the UN from there. Maybe we can meet up some where. Art and Beemer Girl are in that neck on the woods also.

Alan

"Deb and I will probably be at my mom's house in the Catskills. We plan to head up to the UN from there. Maybe we can meet up some where. Art and Beemer Girl are in that neck on the woods also."

For some reason, I meet up with riders from NE @ Max BMW in Troy, NY. when I rally. (Besides me livin a mile down the road). Next Door is a nice diner for refuel of the soul, Wally world down the road and of course Max is there for anything that may need attention for your bike. Just a thought. Group Riding does have it's advantages!

Bob

JB04rt-

I have done both routes through to VT and the Rt 7 Troy,NY- RT 9,Bennington Vt-Via Rutland Vt to Rt 100 Vt to Rt. 107 and over to NH I believe and north is preferable to me.

Bob

Hey Randy.

I will help with some suggestions. I need to take a little time and think about it, because it looks like the emphasis is on great roads and some history as well.

I need a few days. Gotta get some work done right now.

Randy- As another suggestion (if you have not done so already) go to byways.org and look for routes in the NE there. Order the Guide. I am finding it invaluable for routes and history. Best of all, it is free! takes about a month to get from Uncle Sam. BTW, Uncle Sam is from Troy NY and is buried here.

Bob

yes, that is my tentative plan. then head up long island, to the ferry over to Rhonde Island. originally I was thinking going up to catskills then adrirondacks, and to unrally. now I am thinking I will leave Statue of liberty, head up long island, and take the ferry across to rhonde island. I think my son would love a ferry ride, and I need to go into Rhonde Island (cross a state of my visit list) and then hug the coast up to unrally. catch the adirondacks and catskills on the way home the following thursdsay.

If you're headed east, you could do the Cape. Note that eastern Rhode Island and the Cape (and the rest of the coast) will all be crowded, since it's the middle of the vacation season.

If you take the ferry to New London rather than RI, you can take a tour of the Nautilus in Groton, CT

Mystic Seaport, Mystic, CT

Point Judith, RI

PT Boat museum (along with other WWII vintage ships) at Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA

Newport, RI

Whaling Museum in New Bedford, MA

See/cross the Cape Cod Canal.

If you're headed east, you could do the Cape. Note that eastern Rhode Island and the Cape (and the rest of the coast) will all be crowded, since it's the middle of the vacation season.

If you take the ferry to New London rather than RI, you can take a tour of the Nautilus in Groton, CT

Mystic Seaport, Mystic, CT

Point Judith, RI

PT Boat museum (along with other WWII vintage ships) at Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA

Newport, RI

Whaling Museum in New Bedford, MA

See/cross the Cape Cod Canal.

Uh, Mohegan Sun :thumbsup:

BTW: Traverse Long Island in the summer? I wouldn't want to do it!

I thought that sounded kinda brave myself :dopeslap:

Like going up I95 is going to be any better????

not sure I understand the big issue, maybe long island and that area is a lot worse than atlanta, but Atlanta by Aug 8 is pretty calm on the weekends. Remember I will going up long Island on a sunday

here in the south school starts the next week, on Aug 17, so i am guessing a lot of the southern travelers will be gone.

Do you really think long island on a Sunday Aug 9 will be that bad?

As for I-95 I have driven that many times, and yes it is crowded but most of the time (and yes if road construtction is on all bets are off) but once again on a Sat / Sund weekend I95 usually runs a crowded but steady 55 - 60.

Do you all really think it will be that bad? remember none of the riding will be during a weekeday. I plan on being in southern Mass by Sunday evening, and taking back roads to unrally going through the souther part of Maine and then over to the unrally.

The whaling museum sounds very nice.

not sure I understand the big issue, maybe long island and that area is a lot worse than atlanta, but Atlanta by Aug 8 is pretty calm on the weekends. Remember I will going up long Island on a sunday

here in the south school starts the next week, on Aug 17, so i am guessing a lot of the southern travelers will be gone.

Do you really think long island on a Sunday Aug 9 will be that bad?

As for I-95 I have driven that many times, and yes it is crowded but most of the time (and yes if road construtction is on all bets are off) but once again on a Sat / Sund weekend I95 usually runs a crowded but steady 55 - 60.

Do you all really think it will be that bad? remember none of the riding will be during a weekeday. I plan on being in southern Mass by Sunday evening, and taking back roads to unrally going through the souther part of Maine and then over to the unrally.

The whaling museum sounds very nice.

You should be fine most of the Sunday traffic will be heading back into the city. I-95 in Connecticut... especially the southern can be bad even on the weekends. Personally I think you are on the right track by going out LI and crossing by way of the ferry. Most of the coast is congested but it can be dealt with. It may not be tooloing along at 75-90mph but you'll get there. The best thing about a vacation is it really doesn't matter how long it takes... as long as you're seeing new things and enjoying yourself.

Archived