IGNORED

i'm sorry..I'm sorry...tires recommendation

bikemike

I'm running Dunlop Sportmax's on my first ever RT (02)and I'm looking to replace them with a long wearing affordable tire. I am a non aggressive rider who likes an occasional hard corner and likes to ride in the rain but would like to be able to get 6-9k on a set of tires. I am a GS refuge and all I know is Tourance.

thanks!

Why not just start an OIL thread!!!! Newbee!!! :dopeslap::grin:

I am the last one to offer advice on high mileage tires (but I will do it anyway), since mine barely go 6K.

My current set-up is a Metzler ME880 front and a Dunlop Roadsmart rear.

YMMV

Road surface, air pressure, and right wrist will determine the rest.

Between my '99 R1100RT and my R1150R I put about 200K miles on front/rear ME880. I guess I liked them. Obviously high mileage is important to me but they never did anything wrong. Now I have a R1200GS and I'm sorry there is no ME880 in the correct sizes.

I'm running Dunlop Sportmax's on my first ever RT (02)and I'm looking to replace them with a long wearing affordable tire. I am a non aggressive rider who likes an occasional hard corner and likes to ride in the rain but would like to be able to get 6-9k on a set of tires. I am a GS refuge and all I know is Tourance.

thanks!

Mike, your question can be answered in about 40 pages of reading on this site..

Just place TIRES in the search box at the top of forum page here then hit SEARCH.. Lots of reading,, lots of opinions,, lots of my tire is best,, lots (I) get this or that mileage..

My suggestion is to just ask your wife what tire name she likes best then start there.. Next set try something different,, next set try another brand,, next set try something else again.. In about 4 or 5 sets you will have an idea what works best for YOUR riding style,, best for YOU on the roads in YOUR area,, best on YOUR particular motorcycle..

Twisty

Tires are AWESOME! I use them on all my bikes exclusively!!! :clap:

Don't cheap out though, make sure to get the round ones... they work even more awesome-er. :thumbsup:

I just put on two sets of Conti RoadAttacks. One on the RT and the other on the R. Used to run ME880's on the RT and got 6k rears and 7500 fronts. I really like the Conti RA and it is quite reasonably priced. I read somewhere that they were the "tyre of choice" for London motorcycle messengers. THAT is a good enough recommendation for me :grin:.

I have used Michelin Pilots, Metzeller Z6's, Continentals, Bridgestone's, & Avons (all on R1150RT's)

They are all round and black and all have lasted basically a similar distance with my riding. The mileage I quote would be irrelevant. What is relevant is the similar mileage thing.

Next, in terms of grip, most seem similar to my insensitive butt.

Basically, I don't think any advice on this subject is relevant except for not buying a brand you have NEVER heard of.

Andy

Thanks for all the replies guys. Now, about oil....:>)

Mike

Nice one Mike. It's good when someone knows when to pull the plug!

Andy

Now I have a R1200GS and I'm sorry there is no ME880 in the correct sizes.

Paul, I have put a 100/90-19 Me880 on the front, and a 160/70-17 ME880 on the rear, and it works fine.

To the original question, answer is ME880. I got about 13,000 miles on my r1100rt before I sold it.

max

Now I have a R1200GS and I'm sorry there is no ME880 in the correct sizes.

Paul, I have put a 100/90-19 Me880 on the front, and a 160/70-17 ME880 on the rear, and it works fine.

To the original question, answer is ME880. I got about 13,000 miles on my r1100rt before I sold it.

max

Amazing! I said "in the correct sizes" :) . I did not go into GS details as the thread is about RT. I thought I'm the only crazy one who uses non-radial non-belted, yes - plain bias, front tire with a radial rear. My current front 100/90x19 ME880 has 18.000 miles on it, it is even, no cupping, handles well, is not to the wear bars yet. On stock Avon Distanzia and Tourance front tires I got 7 to 9K. I mate it with the stock 150/70x17 Tourance. Only thing, first I found it has a terrible ride. Then I thought it is a old fashioned tire, let's use old fashioned pressure. I use it at 32 and it is great. I use the radial rear at 42.

Archived