Which is the BEST winter glove?

gtunches

g3_old_orig.jpg

covered with these that have option of unlined or lined for really cold

442_c2hsmall.jpg

and wear these under it all

68168.jpg

available in black

This layering has worked for me into the single digit range.

It keeps the heated gloves dry in rain/snow and blocks wind.

YMMV.

Great minds think alike! With those Aerostitich Triple-Digit covers I haven't needed glove liners under those Gerbing G3's. It is, however, always a hassle to get the 2nd Triple-Digit cover on and cinched down. Too clumsy with one hand already "muffin-ed."

Hmmm.. Why the lighter Gerbing's G3 over the Gerbing's Classic? The Classic's a little thicker, a little more insulated. Methinks it would be a better choice for prolonged cold riding....

-MKL

Great minds think alike! With those Aerostitich Triple-Digit covers I haven't needed glove liners under those Gerbing G3's. It is, however, always a hassle to get the 2nd Triple-Digit cover on and cinched down. Too clumsy with one hand already "muffin-ed."

I leave the Triple Digits on during these rides (over the Gerbings) so all I have to do is cinch them using other hand, or teeth.

moshe,

the thicker ones work fine, the G 3's are a bit easier to run controls with and I already had/have a couple of thick insulated winter gloves before choosing which Gerbings.

Can someone tell me who makes the BEST winter glove for riding long distance in cold weather?

Gerald, define COLD?.

Here in Michigan I never need or use heated or special gloves until below 20°f.. Anything below 20°f it starts to require thicker snowmobile type gloves or heated gloves.. Get down around 0°f for more than a 15-20 minute ride & it takes heated grips & heated gloves (my gloves of choice are the Gerbings classic) with a separate heat controller..

If you use a heated vest or heated jacket liner then you already have the power wires run to your body.. If you don’t now use heated vest/liner then maybe non heated gloves would be a better choice..

You can always toss some small hunting type hand warmers in your winter riding gloves & in your boots to really improve their cold weather performance.. I did that for years before buying heated gloves,, I still use the small hand warmers in my boots when riding in sub freezing temps for longer trips..

Keep in mind what’s best for me might not be best for you.. Try different things until you find what works best for you..

Twisty

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Can someone tell me who makes the BEST winter glove for riding long distance in cold weather?

The one that works BEST for you. Sorry but you're question is very subjective. I find that on my RT a good leather glove and the grip heaters are all I need. YMMV.

I find that on my RT a good leather glove and the grip heaters are all I need. YMMV.

.....Our mileage (not to mention our weather) varies quite a bit from yours around here! :(

Really good non heated leather gloves covered by the Stich triple digits plus heated grips work great down to the 20's.

The Triple Digits are perfect for the heated grips. They block virtually all the wind. Combine digits for insulation like a mitten, and they're thin enough to allow plenty of the grip heat through.

The question is very subjective because a good glove is defined by:

1. The ambient temperature.

2. How long you ride in that temperature.

3. Your preference of sensitivity to warmth.

I define my cold weather riding as sub-20F for 1 hour with higher sensitivity. I use ski-racing gloves with an inner liner.

Key thing to note with gloves in cold weather is that if your fingertips get compressed even slightly, the blood flow is diminished dramatically and you will be much colder. Glove fit is the most important part.

Unheated, I still love my TourMaster Winter Elites. The three finger rain cover also assists in keeping the fingers warm, raining or not. These work well with stock BMW heated grips.

I use these mostly for long (7 hour plus) night rides in mid winter and never have cold hands.

Linz

Archived