IGNORED

F650GS (twin) accessory additions

Firefight911

Could you mount it on the upper crash guard somehow? Or does it need to be mounted high on the bike?

I'm also wondering if there is space between the side case frame and the bike on the non-exhaust side that would work?

I am assuming the puck has to be horizontally oriented, is that correct?

I would try the metal bracket before the plastic one.

I assume you have thought about the top of the small headlight?

With your touring windscreen and taller brace is there a possibility of mounting the puck to that brace?

I just installed the 16" "Eurodome" CeeBaileys windscreen. I think it will provide the right amount of wind protection for me, but no test ride today . . . its freakin' cold; snowy and icy out today.

A&S had their Christmas party and my present from them was a 30% off coupon. Couldn't resist, I got Jamie her side cases and mounting hardware.

The Zumo has arrived and she just ordered her new helmet while we were at the San Mateo motorcycle show, an Arai XD3 in Trek Red pattern. No Autocom there so I'll have to source it elsewhere. Once it arrives, it's a day in the garage to mount and wire the final pieces.

440234581_WXXRk-L.jpg

Not a good picture, but perhaps you can get the idea.

Please no comments about our garage. :P

440239085_rTMjR-L.jpg

Edit to add side view and rake of windshield.

A&S had their Christmas party and my present from them was a 30% off coupon. Couldn't resist, I got Jamie her side cases and mounting hardware.

The Zumo has arrived and she just ordered her new helmet while we were at the San Mateo motorcycle show, an Arai XD3 in Trek Red pattern. No Autocom there so I'll have to source it elsewhere. Once it arrives, it's a day in the garage to mount and wire the final pieces.

You're a good hubbers, Phil. :clap:

Please no comments about our garage. :P

Are you kidding me :rofl:.......looks pretty clean to me

I had to spend 3+ hours this afternoon cleaning my garage in order to squeeze in my Isuzu so I could repack a wheel bearing. Filled two trash bags full of empty boxes, junk, and old used car/motorcycle parts.

and in the middle of it all I noticed a puddle of oil under the RT........its leaking tranny oil out of one of the rear seal :dopeslap:

Looks good Sharon, small barn door.

[small hijack]

I have been struggling with wind noise on the Tiger. Bought an MRA with spoiler, not much better. Had a Laminar Lip left over from the Versys, hmmmmm, drilled it mounted on MRA, presto quiet bike. Now I can hear radio, B2B, etc.

Totally transformed to nice ride, I might try mounting it on a stock Tiger screen just to see difference but happy now.

lip1.jpg

lip2.jpg

[/small hijack]

• 3 weeks later...
Firefight911

FYI for the F650/800 owners around this post - RECALL

Have 'em checked! Oh, and be careful if you put the BMW side luggage racks on. They are a bugger to align and it is easy to mess up the thread sert on the frame. DAMHIK!!!

Here are the side cases on after taking the bike back to the dealer to have them put on. It appears that there are some issues with the racks so be careful if you put them on yourself. They do not align very well. Supposedly BMW is aware.

Two pics. One with them retracted and one with them expanded. Big difference.

453187983_AVHBV-M.jpg

453187860_NmiCr-M.jpg

453187613_X2KZv-M.jpg

What is that??? Hee hee hee

453188130_4vF8n-M.jpg

If you spent half as much time ridin' 'em as you do makin' pictures of 'em....

:lurk:

If he rides them, they might get dirty!!!! :grin:

I'd say that last accessory was... well... over the top :thumbsup:.

Paul that's great adverting... you should try it... an F800GS as an accessory for the F650GS :thumbsup:.

I'd say that last accessory was... well... over the top :thumbsup:.

Paul that's great adverting... you should try it... an F800GS as an accessory for the F650GS :thumbsup:.

Yes, I think Phil is out to take the Art of Farkeling to a whole new level! :)

"Paul that's great adverting... you should try it... an F800GS as an accessory for the F650GS :thumbsup: "

May be not that. But occasionally I do suggest a F650 as a dinghy for a K1200LT :)

So since no one else has asked, when does the 800 go up for sale and what farkles and mods will be done prior to the sale?

BTW put me on the contact list in the number one spot, as I officialy call first dibs on the 800 when it comes up for sale. That should be about 30 to 45 minutes after you finish the mods and add ons right? :grin:

So since no one else has asked, when does the 800 go up for sale and what farkles and mods will be done prior to the sale?

BTW put me on the contact list in the number one spot, as I officialy call first dibs on the 800 when it comes up for sale. That should be about 30 to 45 minutes after you finish the mods and add ons right? :grin:

List! You're now on the list!

Oh, and it ain't the one you think it is!

• 2 weeks later...

I have 500+ miles now on Jean's bike. 450 with the stock tires. Put the 150/60/17 Sport Tec M3 on this morning and ran it 50 miles. Really sticks like glue now compared to the wings.

Oh, messed up the speedo tho, not had a chance to check with GPS but probably 10% off now. Also geared it down, so no need for the 16T Counter sprocket now.

Nice!!

I have the GXM-30 mounting sorted by way of the Z-Technik mount plate that attaches to the handlebar/mirror mount.

I screwed up and waited too long and will now have to wait for the Autocoms. Top Gear is out as distributor and no dealer I have called has any base units in stock.

I have all the Centech fuse panel pieces, GPS, etc. for both bikes. I know where they will mount, etc. Just need the Autocoms and I'll go about installing that.

I agree David, those DeathWings are not confidence inspiring. I'll either go with the Anakee or the Conti Trail Attack when it comes to more street oriented. TKC for the dirtier, Alaska bound side. The Death Wings will do for now as we acclimate to the bikes more but it will be nice to see them go the way of the Dodo.

Duh!!! Shoulda called Brown's BMW. They took care of me. Everything is on its way - IN STOCK! All but one minor lead I'll need was in stock. Phew!!!!!!!!!!!

Duh!!! Shoulda called Brown's BMW. They took care of me. Everything is on its way - IN STOCK! All but one minor lead I'll need was in stock. Phew!!!!!!!!!!!

:dopeslap:

(The living ghost of EffBee will haunt you........) :grin:

How does the touring screen work? I forgot my earplugs and had ringing ears after my long ride yesterday behind the Calsci.

Thought it did a good job, but no, only so so, and it slowed the bike down with the vertical barn door.

I really like it. Smooth airflow. I've ridden with both my Arai XD and my new Shoei X-11 (Eddie Lawson replica) and it is very nice.

My head is in the wind and it gets the rain but the flow is very smooth with no buffeting of any sort. I really like it. For longer trips I may look at something like the laminar lip, if there even is one for this, or the TT add-on but I really like the way the wind management works with the touring screen.

Definitely no noticeable wind drag issues but leaps and bounds better than the fly screen. Same perception with the F8 when compared to its stock screen.

Maybe we DO need to get everyone together so we can all try out everyone's farkles!!

I haven't even got to try my new CeeBaileys screen. :(

Just ordered 8" Jesse Safari bags and pizza box in charcoal.

Like these:

PICT9.jpg

but dark grey.

Thanks, Marty! :wave:

That looks nice Sharon. Would like to see the front view, can you still get to the Gas cap, or have to remove topbox?

We have cold and rain today, no ride. :(

Jean just found this tankbag, we are trying to figure out what the catch is? She did order it, at that price nothing to loose.

Tankbag linky

PICT7.jpg

PICT10.jpg

PICT12.jpg

The top case comes from Rick (at ExploreMoto--a real friendly fellow) without the (4) mounting holes drilled so you can decide how far forward or back you want to mount the box.

The fuel cap looks to be significantly forward of the top box and they designed the side case to accommodate the fuel cap.

I sure hope this set up is as sweet as it looks!

Ms. Jacqueline ran Jesse Odysseys (I think) on her big trip and recommended them, as did Mr. Marty Hill. I have heard some complaints about the latches from Holly, a local rider, who prefers the Happy Trails bags on her SO's bike.

I may have selected form over function, but I really like the concept behind the narrow profile and low center of gravity of these bags.

So when do we get the F650 - F800 GS comparison Phil? Which would you buy today: an F650, an F800 or an R1200 GS and why? Is the extra $2000 worth it for the 800? Any drawbacks or limitations to the 800 vs 650 as a street bike?

I vote for R1200GS LOW, even tho I have never been on one. We have a couple, what color do you wish?

Jean and I just changed the oil at 509 mi, little metal on the magnet but oil looked good.

On the panniers, think we are going with the caribou setup. Really like the Jesse bags tho.

509mi.jpg

So when do we get the F650 - F800 GS comparison Phil? Which would you buy today: an F650, an F800 or an R1200 GS and why? Is the extra $2000 worth it for the 800? Any drawbacks or limitations to the 800 vs 650 as a street bike?

Whip first, and now you!?!?!? Yea, yea, yea, it's coming!

Like these:

PICT9.jpg

but dark grey.

I've seen narrower profiles on a semi truck..How much off roadin' ya gonna do mate?

ooppss!!! soorrry...my bad.... that's the 650... :dopeslap:

MB>

Like these:

PICT9.jpg

but dark grey.

I've seen narrower profiles on a semi truck..How much off roadin' ya gonna do mate?

ooppss!!! soorrry...my bad.... that's the 650... :dopeslap:

MB>

Hey! Watch it with the wide load comments, I might take it personally. :rofl:

No serious off road riding is anticipated for this bike, just dirt roads. These bags are 33" total width according to the manufacturer.

OK the attached is the information I gathered while trying to pick sidecases. YMMV.

2009 F650GS Sidecases volume and width

BMW Varios (closed - 47L to 67L total) 920mm (36.2 in) wide to 1018 mm (40 in) (Carrier $304.95; Cases $397.95 ea + locksets) can get 10% dealer discount (Topcase $457.95, carrier $137.95)

Touratech Standard Zega (29+35 = 64L total) 1018mm (40.1") wide ($1,153.00 with rack mounted)

Touratech Special (35+41 = 75L total) 1036mm (40.8") wide $1775.80

TRAX (37+45 = 82L total) 1111mm (43.7") $549.99 pr + $239.99 quick lock evo mount

Metal Mule standard (31L+38L = 69L Total) 1020mm (40.2") wide

Metal Mule standard (38L+45L = 83L Total) 1100mm wide (43.3")

Jesse 8"Safari (68 L Total) 33" wide $1,250, small pizza box 36 L, $400, large topcase, $450, mounting plate for topcase, $100

Jesse 10" Odyssey II (90 L Total) (Powdercoat in & out) 37" $1,150

BMW Adventure Cases ($507.50 ea + locksets) Holan rack $289.99 + $160 2 locks and keys (Rob has these for $999.99 pr)

Caribou 36L side cases and rack $775.00 (33 pounds total system)

(Can purchase bags (2 36L cases for $295 and mounts($180) to mount to SW Motech EVO rack $239.99)

Happy Trails aluminum 7 ½" $875 a pair installed by local dealer. I think this include mounting hardware but am not certain.

Okay, done with panniers, ordered the caribou cases using his rack mount, all in black, 35L. Expect them to be 38" wide which is about the same as the Tiger.

Jean is planning on riding today, kenwood batteries charged.

That is an absolutely awesome photo!!!!!!

Very nice. Weather is so bad here that I was relegated to getting the XM radio antenna mounts adjusted and installed the new shift lever on my F800GS.

Man, I want to go ride!!!!!!

David, keep raking!!! You're not done yet.

I have a mulching blade for that, but the garden really needs them. Next door used to rake and bag and I would take them over the fence, but they got tired of them too, had someone come in and rake and burn, 2 days all gone.

I was trying to unplug Jean's radio so I could get the bike in the garage, and begin warm up.

Oh, Jean, you are welcome on the nice breakin so it runs smooth now!

Did have some metal on the magnet on oil change, but no, I was gentle, sorta. No full throttle, but some spirited 3/4 roll ons to 4k in different gears and closed throttle decels a lot.

The engine broke in faster than the brakes.

Archived