IGNORED

F650GS (twin) accessory additions

Firefight911

Ohhhhhh, I am sooooo ready to get some farkles.

Is it "Farkle" or "Farkel?"

Is the spelling different depending on where you are?

Is this even a word?

OMG! I'm living in a B-52's song ("Detour Through Your Mind") Wiki "farkle"

OK, answered my own question. It's "Farkle."

I think I need to go check my FedEx tracking numbers . . . :lurk::lurk::lurk:

Jesse 8" Safari bags, shipped Friday, due to be delivered on . . . Tuesday. I don't know if I can make it to Tuesday. :dopeslap:

Girls Gone Wild for sure, Sharon. Good grief, it appears that someone is in need of a ride!!

All the Autocom stuff arrived on Thursday afternoon. Need to have an electrification party in my garage soon. Jamie and I have work to do!!! Everything is now in - Zumo, mounts, Autocom, B2B, Centech fuse block, relays. Need to go get some wire and connectors and it's party time.

Did a chain adjustment on the F8 the other day. A bit more initial stretch than I would like to have seen but I expect that it won't be needed again more than once. Been a while since I've had to do a chain adjustment/lube. hee hee!

The Jesse bags came today.

Nicely packaged in 4 boxes with lots of bubble wrap.

467306275_n7bxi-M.jpg

467306141_5LeA9-M.jpg

467307296_fgawt-M.jpg

467307688_oqoYH-M.jpg

467306510_Syfbg-M.jpg

They even sent some loctite

467307496_qLxzg-M.jpg

I got the racks mounted so far . . .

467308135_HiFBh-M.jpg

467307915_MEKF6-M.jpg

467308505_yQhG6-M.jpg

I like how the installation pieces for each piece is separately packaged. the bolts were all pre-mounted into the parts where they go and shrink wrapped.

The only real brain cramp moment was installing the top case carrier . . . I installed a pieced backwards. Figured it out though. So far so good!

Looks great Sharon, now be sure and let Jan help some.

We had to bring our own loctite, and some M8 washers were missing at our cariboucases party.

Installed the tourtech handguards plus spoilers yesterday on Jean's GS.

now be sure and let Jan help some.

Every time I went out there she was making intemperate remarks. I know when it's time to make myself scarce. Although she did accept my analysis on the issue of using, or not using, the stock spacers on the rear mount points.

Looks great, Sharon. I'm having a hard time figuring out how the bags mount on the racks. How about a picture of the back of the bags and maybe a picture of them mounted. Or am I jumping the gun?

Our "spacer" disagreement is basically whether the stock spacer should be left in under this rear mount.

467813597_Ttjzh-S.jpg

467813686_eWggu-S.jpg

Without the spacer the cross bar for the sidecase mounting system will attach to 2 bolts screwed into two holes here. It appears that a portion of the mount assembly will rest on the black plastic, possibly creating too much stress on it.

If the stock metal spacer that fits down into the hole in the plastic is used, the mount should rest on metal, instead of plastic.

The picture shows the assembly without the spacer and before the assembly is tightened down.

I will probably send Rick an email and ask whether Jesse intends for the spacer to be used or not.

What do you think?

I would ask a good lawyer. Know any?

On a serious note, you guys keep the info and pics flowing. I think Momma needs one of these bikes! She sat on one in Atlanta over the holidays. Got the "well maybe" response...

I've forwarded a few of the pics from this thread to her.

Looks great, Sharon. I'm having a hard time figuring out how the bags mount on the racks. How about a picture of the back of the bags and maybe a picture of them mounted. Or am I jumping the gun?

Al,

These pictures show the mounting assembly attached to the bags:

Lower mount assembly

467814198_EPkg5-M.jpg

There is a hard plastic (or something) piece that fits down over the lower bar on the lower mount, the silver metal piece with the right angle is pushed up to sit flush against the upper portion of the lower mount, then four hex head screws inside near the center of the stiffener piece, are tightened down.

Upper and lower mounting assemblies

467813873_YytAK-M.jpg

Inside the bag, looking down from the top. The upper mount is screwed on tight against the upper mounting bracket. You can see the four allen head screws that tighten the lower bracket down below the crank.

467814409_iFoe3-M.jpg

Definitely use the spacer to get metal support. Not sure where you are, but think you are talking about the recess on tail where the cross bar goes.

The cariboucases used a flat cross bar, bolted on top of the handholds which is the front two bolts in tail section. Did not use the rear two bolts in tail section.

Pics hard to tell, is it a spacer or a bushing?

I'm thinkin' bushing.

MB>

It's intended to transfer the load to the frame, and keep it off the body plastic. After looking up "bushing", I think would be the correct term. She didn't show you a pic of the item itself. Just where it would go, sort of.

We have warm weather here today and this weekend also, Jean is excited to ride. I just epoxied some magnets under the side panels to hold a modified Manta tank bag to hold the Kenwood, she didn't like carrying it in her pocket.

Also just installed the Rox Risers (came in last night) to move the bars closer to her (her arms were straight). They are about 1-3/4" closer and 1-1/4" higher, tight fit with the ROX but they work. Test tomorrow.

picture001.jpg

picture002.jpg

picture003.jpg

Ok, a few pics. Jesse 8" safari bags in charcoal, mounted:

468817796_xwhc2-M.jpg

468817632_YxqCm-M.jpg

From the front, the bags don't seem much wider than the front turn signals:

468817336_twGwr-M.jpg

468817456_ZpubJ-M-1.jpg

From the rear:

468818069_sG6zL-M.jpg

Here's a pic showing the difference with the spacer/bushing installed.

468817908_kDRmU-M.jpg

I will probably add some additional guards and stuff.

I have some concerns about the radiator, the oil filter and some other "thingy" that sticks out on the lower front of the engine.

I think Wunderlich has a radiator guard as well, so I'm trying to decide which one to get.

Same with crash guards, but there seem to be lots more options. I think the side cases will protect some, but if I end up riding this bike with Killer, it could get badly damaged. ;)

OK, a couple more pictures, then I promise not to bore you with luggage any longer . . .

If you look closely, in the upper left hand corner, you can see that Jan installed the Borrego rack on his DRZ.

469259430_J4LaC-M.jpg

My old 16" Sony laptop fits in this topcase!

469259597_GCYLG-M.jpg

And there's still room for me on the bike!

469259483_72B5K-M.jpg

Those risers look good! Are they adjustable?

Yes, they are adjustable, BUT, on the GS if you don't get a longer brake line you are limited to back or forward.

Sharon, the 3rd picture shows a large radiator which seems vulnerable to stone damage. I see a guard in Touratech's catalog - any plans to add one?

Jeff

I choose the "Fenda Extenda" for Jean's bike, perfect fit and should keep most of the stuff off the radiator.

The bags look super Sharon, great fit up on that bike.

Hey, Sharon. That is very, very nice. I'm ready to take you up on your offer to trade bikes. Maybe I just imagined that? I'm anxious to hear a long distance ride report from you.

UPDATE on the ROX risers. Had to take them off, found that while making a tight right turn the clutch will disengage due to binding of the clutch cable up front.

These are the 2" ROX risers. They might be okay in another position or moving the clutch bracket on the handlebar closer in, but I did not choose to do that. We only needed them to adjust the bars farther back so she would not have to reach.

If I find that she has plenty of visibility with the left mirror then moving the clutch mount inward would be an option, but I like the mirrors to be matched on both sides.

Just tested the 16T CS, still pretty tall first gear, but should be better. Jean is having some trouble taking off without killing the motor. Thinking the 16T will make it easier for her.

We will see how it does on the road, and decide if we want to keep it on after she gets used to taking off okay.

Just tested the 16T CS, still pretty tall first gear, but should be better. Jean is having some trouble taking off without killing the motor. Thinking the 16T will make it easier for her.

We will see how it does on the road, and decide if we want to keep it on after she gets used to taking off okay.

It's a beemer. She'll get used to it. 'Course it's a really good way to get her first drop out of the way too. <>

Hey, I don't want to be dropping it. Besides it is very well balanced it never feels tippy or anything it just is finicky taking off in certain situations for me..... :eek:

Hey, I don't want to be dropping it. Besides it is very well balanced it never feels tippy or anything it just is finicky taking off in certain situations for me..... :eek:

For now, give it gas, feel like you are over gassing it. In time you'll smooth out.

If you aren't feeling like it'll drop, then so what, anyway. No harm, no foul.

You see David just told me how much easier it was going to be and then I got on here and read what he said about it still being tall in first gear. He is trying to make my brain accept the fact I need to get some balls and give it some gas!! :thumbsup:

720 miles later, think she only killed it twice, both times where having to slow to turn in tight situations in parking or leaving a business. Slip that clutch some.

The 16T is a keeper, she said it is fine on the hiway, we were mostly running 65mph or less on backroads, lots of curves and hills. Great trip!

720 miles later, think she only killed it twice, both times where having to slow to turn in tight situations in parking or leaving a business. Slip that clutch some.

The 16T is a keeper, she said it is fine on the hiway, we were mostly running 65mph or less on backroads, lots of curves and hills. Great trip!

Shut it!!

474412397_GAAyf-M.jpg

Shut it!!

474412397_GAAyf-M.jpg

Have you started taking . . . Panexa? Oh, wait, that is snow in the picture.

I feel your pain, 130 miles since December 5th. :mad:

Shut it!!

474412397_GAAyf-M.jpg

Have you started taking . . . Panexa? Oh, wait, that is snow in the picture.

I feel your pain, 130 miles since December 5th. :mad:

Not counting the 1700 to DVDs and back?

Wow!

I ordered "Barkbusters" hand guards from Adventure Spec in Great Britain on the 18th. Jan tells me they were delivered today, the 20th.

This is totally amazing! :clap:

David says ROX bar backs will help that. The Madstad adjustable windscreen that David is helping them with should help too. It just isn't ready yet.

Barkbusters guards and CeeBailey Euro windshield have a conflict. They hit about a half inch before full lock. :(

I had the same problem with my Cee-Bailey vs. hand guards on the 950 Adv S. I took the Dremel to the C-B, VEEERY CAREFULLY, & it worked out great.

I'd suggest that if your reach to the bars is comfortable, avoid bar-backs. They could cause posture/back problems.

Thanks for the suggestions Jean and Danny.

I have some Dremel bits left over from my dead Dremel tool that I can hook up to my cordless drill--although I see this as the perfect excuse to get another Dremel. Much lighter than a cordless drill and better speed control, I think. ;)

Madstad avises that you can bandsaw the screen pretty ease, same blade as for wood, but I have not had to do it yet.

The barbacks make the clutch too tight and cable will have to be rerouted, also the brake line is too tight, but these moved thebars 1-3/4" back and 1" up, 1" back probably would be better so as not to mess with the clutch.

Also like Danny said, if you already have a good fit/reach then don't change it.

Hey, Sharon. You are certainly welcome to borrow my Dremel tool. However, every home should have one that works. Great for trimming the dog's nails.

I think I know someone who can lengthen your arms, but then your knuckles will drag like Jan's.

Archived