TBS Question

DMilan

Hello All,

Rode my Flea-bay special '05RT back to Cleveland from Vermont.

Bike seems to run pretty smooth. I've had quite a few 1200 Boxers now, so I'm familiar.

Had the side panels off to clean the poor neglected thing so I took the opportunity to put a Twinmax on it.

Idle was well off to one side, 2.5 - 1.5 range, never near center on the swing.

Apply throttle, and needle would steady (normal) and swing to the opposite side, settle around 1.5.

Took her to the dealer, friendly tech let me watch and chat.

BMW fancy dancy computer showed balance as steady graphs, nearly equal. Tech said it was very good sync as is. Better than most.

Tech also said that you can not use Twinmax on the late RTs.

Not able to sync accurately using Twinmax, yada yadda yadda...

Huh? Anyone got a clue as to what he's talking 'bout?

Thanks

Dmilan

Hello All,

Bike seems to run pretty smooth. I've had quite a few 1200 Boxers now, so I'm familiar.

Had the side panels off to clean the poor neglected thing so I took the opportunity to put a Twinmax on it.

Apply throttle, and needle would steady (normal) and swing to the opposite side, settle around 1.5.

BMW fancy dancy computer showed balance as steady graphs, nearly equal. Tech said it was very good sync as is. Better than most.

Thanks

Dmilan

Dmilan, part of the dealer TBI sync involves re-setting the fueling computer’s learned memory & part of that learned memory is the IAC (idle air control stepper motor) offset.. The dealer’s machine then also holds the IAC’s at a specific setting during the balance procedure..

When you did your balance you still had the IAC offset learn in the computer & the IAC’s were still free to respond..

You can always pull a battery cable from the battery for about 1 minute then re-install & do a TPS re-learn before your next balance as that will remove the computers short term memory & fuel off-sets & IAC off-set…

Or just don’t worry about the idle balance as there is no idle balance adjustment anyways..

With the IAC’s being noticeably out of sync you might check intake air boots for being tight & no vacuum leaks & check for good twin max hose connections..

No reason your twin max won’t work on that bike..

Twisty

TwinMax, or any other DIY tool, works just fine on the hexheads. A lot of us have been doing our own TBS for several years now on them.

To me, the proof of proper TBS--no matter who or what unit is used to guage the TBS--is whether or not the bike runs smooth. Of course, this is given that the valves are adjusted, etc. I can't get enough of my RT when the valves are freshly adjusted and TBS is right-on...purrrrrrrr. Oh, incidently I use the T-Max.

My guess would be that he gets paid to do a sync, and doesn't when you do your own...

Thanks for the reply.

I'm cynical enough..

Don't get me goin'

ha ha

Dmilan

TwinMax, or any other DIY tool, works just fine on the hexheads. A lot of us have been doing our own TBS for several years now on them.

Yeah,I know, guess it was sort of a rhetorical (sp?) question.

I've even got the JVB Video, where he successfully uses a twinmax on an R 1200GS.

Thanks Dmilan

To me, the proof of proper TBS--no matter who or what unit is used to guage the TBS--is whether or not the bike runs smooth. Of course, this is given that the valves are adjusted, etc. I can't get enough of my RT when the valves are freshly adjusted and TBS is right-on...purrrrrrrr. Oh, incidently I use the T-Max.

RJ

I know what you mean.

On my ride home from flea-bay purchase/pick-up in VT in was impressed with the smooth nature of this particular R12 boxer. This is why I was surprised to see the Twinmax readings so far from indicating balanced Throttle bodies. Which, lead me to the local dealer, and the experience noted in my opening thread.

BTW - I did adjust the valves after I tried the Twinmax and b-4 I went to the dealer.

To my observation, it had little effect on the Twinmax reading.

Thanks

DMilan

Hello All,

Thanks

Dmilan

Dmilan, part of the dealer TBI sync involves re-setting the fueling computer’s learned memory & part of that learned memory is the IAC (idle air control stepper motor) offset.. The dealer’s machine then also holds the IAC’s at a specific setting during the balance procedure..

When you did your balance you still had the IAC offset learn in the computer & the IAC’s were still free to respond..

You can always pull a battery cable from the battery for about 1 minute then re-install & do a TPS re-learn before your next balance as that will remove the computers short term memory & fuel off-sets & IAC off-set…

Or just don’t worry about the idle balance as there is no idle balance adjustment anyways..

With the IAC’s being noticeably out of sync you might check intake air boots for being tight & no vacuum leaks & check for good twin max hose connections..

No reason your twin max won’t work on that bike..

Twisty

Thanks Twisty,

Thinking back to my JVB Video, a question come to mind.

I was under the impression that the stepper motors would automatically balance the throttle bodies at idle.

I'll check for leaks at the air boots and the TM connectons.

One side port did seem to be of a smaller diameter. The hose fit ok, but not as snug as the opposite side.

DMilan

Thinking back to my JVB Video, a question come to mind.

I was under the impression that the stepper motors would automatically balance the throttle bodies at idle.

I'll check for leaks at the air boots and the TM connectons.

One side port did seem to be of a smaller diameter. The hose fit ok, but not as snug as the opposite side.

DMilan

Dmilan, yes eventually the stepper motors will catch up & even the idle.. How close I have no idea but the computer has to base the idle (IAC controlled) side to side balance on something (it doesn’t have a TwinMax hooked to it) so I would guess it uses cylinder head temperature,, maybe 02 sensor feed back,, etc.. SO, I have my doubts that it can ever get the idle in perfect balance.. There is a computer IAC learn involved so it probably takes a while to re-learn from riding hot idle to static partial hot idle..

There is no dealer-set idle balance (other than the computer memory clearing) so the dealer got the idle no closer than you would have as neither of you have the ability to adjust it..

Twisty

Archived