IGNORED

reflective tape recommendations

majordad

I use 3M Scotchlite Plus 680 Reflective Sheeting. You can pick it up at most local sign shops. Simply make a template of your subject then transfer the template to the reflective sheeting material and cut it out. I like it because of the convenience of picking it up locally and it is a lot less expensive buying it this way. The 680 R.S. is black so when you apply it to your bags it matches. Man does it light up at night when light hits it.

I have the 3M Scotchlite on my '05 RT. It covers the side cases and licence plate bracket. I also have the same tape on my helmet. The beauty of it is that the tape is invisible in daylight. At night it really lights up.

A kit is available at several BMW dealers, such as Bob's BMW in Maryland.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

i like the "red and white alternating every 8" that the truckers use.

i stuck this on the outer edge of the bags on the back of the bike - in a vertical orientation - makes the bike look as wide as it is both day and night. why wait for night to be seen?

If you're looking for a kit, I'd highly recommend MotoEquip (link below). It's a small enterprise owned by one of our Board members, but that's not why I'd recommend it (I have no affiliation etc.). I installed two kits on my then-new R12RT back when I bought it in 2006. They're precisely cut, and easy to install. I have them on my 49L topcase, the rear of my panniers, and on the fender extender. They're almost invisible by day, and quite reflective by night. They have also remained quite firmly affixed after three seasons and 75,000 kms (47,000 miles).

http://www.motoequip.com/

thanks for the replies. I now need to decide. I thought about make one of my own from a sheet of the tape or buying a roll of it to match the silver side bags.

I now need to decide. I thought about make one of my own from a sheet of the tape or buying a roll of it to match the silver side bags.

I bought the specific kit for the R1200RT. It is precisely cut for the panniers and extremely easy to apply. I was on a ride 2 weeks ago and my riding buddy said that the back of my bike was lit up like nothing he had seen. I would highly recommend the motoequip set. Send Effbee an email as he has the low down on them. Tell him I said hi.

Here is an example of a bike with, and one w/out in same conditions.

My bike has the tape on it (on right).

DSC02428.jpg

I have SOLAS tape in my GIVI topcase behind the red plastic

and it lights up.

I have some of the Fernando's pre cut black (shows up as white) on the right saddlebag and under the license plate.

See how well that works even when light source is from the side.

I have some of the 3M red reflective mounted vertically.

I have some blue reflective from the site above (reflective tape) on the side, and then misc. motoman, dragons, IBMWR, MOA, on rear.

Plus some on helmet (rear).

Not all of it is shown full power due to angle of light source, but you get the idea.

Thanks for the Moto-link. I had this stuff on my last bike and it was wonderful at dusk and night without being even noticeable during the day. I just ordered his set for the inner case halves and my top case.

Reflexite V92 is pretty much the loudest stuff next to SOLAS. I've got silver w/black 3M squares on the sides.

th_rtp-sideQ108.jpg th_cboard1.jpg th_cboard2.jpg

Tried the V92 flourescent yellow/red on the back. It was pretty loud.

th__D2A47981.jpg th__D2A4795.jpg th__D2A4796.jpg

Click on the pics for larger view. Got the material from http://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity.htm

Tape, a paper cutter, a nice beverage, a few hours and voila'

When using different materials (3M vs Reflexite) you need to apply the outer layer after the base is applied since they don't bend quite the same.

Thanks for the Moto-link. I had this stuff on my last bike and it was wonderful at dusk and night without being even noticeable during the day. I just ordered his set for the inner case halves and my top case.

I shipped it. It's on its way.

- - - - -

As for the OP's question regarding what's available, yes, my wife and I have owned MotoEquip for 10 years and have sold thousands and thousands of kits. It's difficult to quantify how many lives these may have helped save, but it's a good feeling to know that there are people still riding because of our products.

As for doing your own, you can do that, too. We sell a Do-It-Yourself Kit (RK-99) which consists of two 8x11 sheets. Or feel free to pick up the tape from Gall's or any other company. It's more important to me that you be safe than that we make a sale. However, I am proud of our products, the effort we put into making pieces that precisely fit the contours and curves of your saddlebags and trunks, and the amount of computer-cut reflective material (our saddlebag kits often include extra pieces for your rear fender as well) we include with each kit.

Cutting your own, however, can be fun if you have the time and patience. We suggest using construction paper to create a template, then using the template to make each piece for your saddlebags. You have a 1200RT and we offer two saddlebag kits and two trunk kits for that bike. If you were to replicate these on your own, you'd have to make 4 pieces to cover the inside (unpainted) parts of your saddlebags (equal to our RK-14 kit) or 8 pieces to cover the entire rear of your saddlebags, including the painted lids (equal to our RK-15 kit). If you purchase our RK-99 Do-It-Yourself Kit you will need one kit to replicate the RK-14 and two to replicate the RK-15. Or if you can purchase the black reflective tape in a wide format, get at least a 1' x 2' section. After doing te equivalent of an RK-15 you will have very little left over.

Reflective tape like SOLAS or the red/white trucker tape is also very effective. However, these have reflective "cells" in some cases, and you cut these cells open when you trim them to size or shape. Dirt gets into the open cells and can make the pieces look a bit grungy along the edges. But overall they will reflect back just fine. It's an aesthetics thing.

Whichever way you decide to go, it's good to hear that you're taking a proactive approach to your safety.

One company I've used with good success in the past for reflective tape is Identi-Tape, Inc. They have a huge selection of colors, types, and reflectivity, including tape that can be applied to clothing.

http://www.identi-tape.com/

I bought some of their yellow reflective tape and applied it to my VFR. It was hard enough to see in the day that I would forget about it, but at night it would light up dramatically.

-Brett

The motoequip.com site does not have any photos for the R1200RT kits (RK-14, RK-15 and RK-17). Does anyone have photos / recommendations what kit(s) I should order. I have the 49L top case.

I think you chose EITHER the RK-14 or RK-15. I wanted the painted lids left alone so RK-14 for me. I recently got my RK-14 & RK-17 kits (thanks EffBee!). Haven't installed yet but they look like the right material and cut properly. Now I just need to install without bubbles or warp...

I have been using the triangles from here:

http://www.conspicuity.us/armsewstick.htm#STICK

(someone please tell me how to condense the URL to "here")

the reflective light at night is brighter than the tail light and during the day time are very noticable. I have found I don't get tail-gated as much with these on my RT, the dork behind me can't decide if it's a LEO or not. who else would put something so ugly on the back of their bike...

I have been using the triangles from here:

http://www.conspicuity.us/armsewstick.htm#STICK

(someone please tell me how to condense the URL to "here")

the reflective light at night is brighter than the tail light and during the day time are very noticable. I have found I don't get tail-gated as much with these on my RT, the dork behind me can't decide if it's a LEO or not. who else would put something so ugly on the back of their bike...

Hey Bruce,

When you click the create a link to a web page icon, you then paste the web location and hit enter, the forum software then asks you to type in the name of the link and most people type in "HERE". I suspect you are just pasting the link into the message, not using the icon at the top of the post window?

Bought bulk red 3M from Galls. Cut my own. The red matches the red RT pretty well, plus white reflectors on the back of a bike is illegal in some states. ( Though I don't know how much the LEO's enforce that law. ) The yellowish or orangish color on the lower panels is an artifact of my camera. In real life all the panels are the same.

RTreflectors2.jpg

+1 for Motoequip. I've got:

-Motoequip RK-1 Black 3M Reflective Vinyl Tape Kit for BMW System Cases (rear)

-Motoequip RK-4 Black 3M Reflective Vinyl Tape Kit for BMW System Cases (side)

-Motoequip RK-5 Black 3M Reflective Vinyl Tape Kit for BMW Top Case

Can't see the tape normally, but it does light up nicely when lit. Here's an example (had the camera on flash):

nov06%20035.jpg

-MKL

Al, there was a very lengthy discussion here, years ago, about the white reflector on rear of vehicles.

It seems to contradict the Federal truck red/white reflectives required by law.

Not sure what would be enforceable with trucks driving by with more of the same on them.

Nice n Easy Rider
The tape looks great, but the grooves on that bridge fill me with dread.

Aren't those kind of bridges always fun?

Here is an example of a bike with, and one w/out in same conditions.

My bike has the tape on it (on right).

DSC02428.jpg

I have SOLAS tape in my GIVI topcase behind the red plastic

and it lights up.

I have some of the Fernando's pre cut black (shows up as white) on the right saddlebag and under the license plate.

See how well that works even when light source is from the side.

I have some of the 3M red reflective mounted vertically.

I have some blue reflective from the site above (reflective tape) on the side, and then misc. motoman, dragons, IBMWR, MOA, on rear.

Plus some on helmet (rear).

Not all of it is shown full power due to angle of light source, but you get the idea.

Tim - so you have a 'daytime' pic? Or perhaps more to the point - the 3m red reflective tape - is that tape actually red or can it mostly match your case (charcoal on mine) color and just reflects red?

thx

dave

Al, there was a very lengthy discussion here, years ago, about the white reflector on rear of vehicles.

It seems to contradict the Federal truck red/white reflectives required by law.

Not sure what would be enforceable with trucks driving by with more of the same on them.

Tim. I remember that discussion and recall something about trucks of a certain length can have white/red behind the rear axle. (federal law) I believe in California and Texas you can't have anything that reflects white behind the rear axle unless the total length of the vehicle is such that the federal law applies. I'll look for it. I don't recall any rider being stopped for having white reflectors. Besides, I think a red reflection is less confusing to a car coming up behind you.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

i guess i wont be going to calif/texas. i wanted white - i want to look big n' wide in the daytime too - this is when i do 95% of my riding.

ugly but i hope effective:

IMG_5924_small.jpg

sorry for the grainy picture - its cropped and zoomed.

Archived