IGNORED

Autocom going out of business?

chtucker

I was in Foothills Triumph/BMW today...

I was asking about a new model of the autcom.... The parts counter fellow said they heard rumors of them closing shop??

Whats the truth?

I seriously doubt it, they are one of the most successful bike intercom companies ever. But Tom B., who is with Autocom hangs out here some, maybe he will chime in.

I seriously doubt it, they are one of the most successful bike intercom companies ever. But Tom B., who owns Autocom hangs out here some, maybe he will chime in.

Fixed it for you...

Andy

I seriously doubt it, they are one of the most successful bike intercom companies ever. But Tom B., who is with Autocom hangs out here some, maybe he will chime in.

Are you implying that a "successful" company can't go under? :/

I don't know if it was true or not... That is why I asked here AND emailed autcomm. I don't want to spend that amount of money for something that is going to be unsupported. And BFE... is Denver.. Not a small shop....It was not a case of carrying a competitor and not autcomm as they are selling ONLY autcom right now.

Autocom is fine. The company is doing better than ever. Your source may have heard a rumor that they might be expanding their U.S. distribution some day. And that would probably mean some adjustments for their current distributor. But "going out of business?" Hardly. I'm sure whatever plans Autocom has for the U.S. will result in even better representation and customer service.

Lets_Play_Two
How about some "parts counter fellow" in BFE has the inside scoop to a company run out of another country due to his extensive "rumor" network...

Maybe he "heard" it on the internet!!!

I just asked a question.. They are a larg BMW dealer that sells autocom. I was concerned so I asked here. What motive would someone who sells the product have to tell me that they are going out of business?

They as in the dealership is not he as in employee.

Individuals make mistakes as well as spread unfounded rumors to customers. :dopeslap:

Not your fault really, just poor rumor control.

Someone posted on the ADV rider website that they had received a letter from Top Gear stating they were dropping Autocomm, but that's only rumor. Nothing on the website about a change.

I dunno if this is 205 or not....sorry in advance if it is.

But I've just learned that TopGear, the US distributor for AUTOCOM Communication products, is no longer carrying Autocom, effectively leaving us in the US market without a Autocom distributor!

I read a very clear (and truthfully, fair) letter from Topgear that cites various reasons for their actions. Main reasons are continually increased production pricing, decreased margin and lack of newer technology development (ie bluetooth). The letter basically closes by stating that Autocom (UK based I believe) is going to pursue another USA distributor, but at this time, there is noone selected.

Kinda sucky! I've used Autocom before and had a good experience. However, there is constantly new brands and technologies coming out, so competition is intense.

So, if you have Autocom product and are needing some new parts or whatever, I would suggest calling and getting it now before you can't any longer!

Sid

That is the US distributor's website unless of course by some cosmic misalignment the United Kingdom is now located in NY state...

If it will put this thread to bed then by all means your best price will be found there. :wave:

I was in Foothills Triumph/BMW today...

I was asking about a new model of the autcom.... The parts counter fellow said they heard rumors of them closing shop??

Whats the truth?

This is probably sour grapes emanating from Top Gear. TG had a troubled relationship with Autocom a few years back.

A UK magazine did an Intercom comparison test in November 2008 and to quote briefly

"We were expecting a Bluetooth whitewash, but it didn't happen. The Autocom sets (2008 - not 2009 - models), landing Best Buy and Recommnded awards, are streets ahead of anything here"

Intaride and Starcom did not submit models for evaluation, whilst J&B are not represented in the UK.

I know that wires are a deal-breaker for many folks and I completely respect that. But while Autocom continue to make the best systems out there, I'm sure that they will get plenty of customers. Autocom could easily produce a Bluetooth headset but with current available technology, it would not be up to Autocom's standards. I don't know exactly how many people Autocom employ in the service department (I do know Doug, though) dealing with and examining worldwide returns, but I doubt it is more than 2. They would rather like to keep it that way.

I can't comment on the pricing issue apart from to comment on the relative weakness of the American economy/dollar. Now that the pound has fallen as well, maybe product will become less expensive in the US.

Please be assured that Autocom is not going out of business, in fact we are doing very well as anyone who has been to the Birmingham NEC show will confirm, where people are queuing 3 or 4 deep to get on one of our ten demo panels to see our new 2009 range of innovative high quality products, some of which are wired and some now WIRELESS!

Our pre 2009 Easi PLUS and Active PLUS products have again just won best buy and recommended in the November 2008 UK RIDE magazine intercom test, against various other brands, many of which were Bluetooth, and this will be an interesting and educational read for many as it is now independently claimed in a quality and reliable back to back tests that;

“We were expecting a Bluetooth whitewash, but it didn’t happen. The Autocom sets landing BEST BUY and RECOMMENDED are streets ahead of anything else here. In fact our test shows that the wired systems are still top of the tree when it comes to rider to passenger communications. Our experience so far shows that Bluetooth for rider to passenger is more trouble than its worth”

Autocom Products Ltd is the UK designer and manufacturer for the Autocom brand and we have many distributors around the world to supply and support our products, but were we do not have a distributor we provide our own second to none high quality support directly for both new and existing customers.

Our new website will be on line soon and we will supply directly to any country that does not have an authorised Autocom distributor.

As for the mention of pricing; our Pro headset is about half the price it was ten years ago. The only reason any Distributor margins may have decreased would be because our prices have decreased. As for lack of new technology; our products are still winning every back to back test and our new 2009 range of innovative products will continue to do so.

Our new LOGIC range including the new INDEPENDENCE have been greatly welcomed by those distributors, dealers and customers that have seen them and who appreciate our solutions to the many problems other so calls high tech products suffer. Forecasts predict demands will outweigh production capacity and delivery for the next six months.

Autocom has been considering other distributors in the USA to help establish a stronger National distribution network of dealers and TopGear has not informed us that they are no longer going to be part of that, but if that was to actually happen then we would provided our own supply and support directly while alternative distribution was established, which wouldn’t be long with a quality brand like Autocom.

Tom Beman

Managing Director

Autocom Products Ltd

Hmm.., Autocom considering U.S. distributors other than (or in addition to) Top Gear. Wonder if Gerbings is interested? I understand they have someone there who really knows the product. :grin:

Many thanks Tom. So much for that silly rumour!

Can you say, "Enron"?

(Sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself)

Glad to hear everything is going so well at Autocomm. Every so often we do need parts.

Thanks for dispelling that rumor that I heard.

Now back to my original question..

Should I wait for a new product? I like have the latest and greatest? That was the important part of my questions.

I for one would be delighted to hear there are alternative distributors in the U. S. I'm on my third Autocom unit, and long ago gave up trying to get satisfactory service or information from Topgear (my experience may differ from yours, dear reader).

EDIT: Tom, what's up with www.autocom.co.uk? The page opens with "2006" and then shows 2007 models. Is there a new web address? I'd like to see the 2009 model line.

To be honest, there is a part of me that likes rumors like this. Whenever something like this happens, Tom comes around and gives us updates on what they're doing.

Of course the only part of me that doesn't like it would be the fiscally sound part that doesn't want to spend any more money to replace an Autocom system that works just fine. :)

My apologies for the old UK site, it was/is well and truly out of date.

When we introduced the 2006 products in November 2006 ready for the 2007 season, it was just before I went into hospital for major spinal surgery etc, and at the time we realised that the old site needed to be completely replaced with a new site.

With me away and out of action for some considerable time the new site was never completed and since then we decided to further develop the range and so the site needed to be updated yet again, which although costing considerable time and money, never went on-line.

Subsequently we are now working with a new web company who assures us of a new site that will be on-line in a couple of weeks, and then refined over the next month before our new product launch in January 2009

I will try to ensure that a copy of our new brochure is on-line as soon as it is completed in the next week or two.

Autocom UK Tom

Thanks for dispelling that rumor that I heard.

Now back to my original question..

Should I wait for a new product? I like have the latest and greatest? That was the important part of my questions.

Yes. The changes and the capabilities are staggering. Beyond new, they're a complete change to the way you thought about communication/entertainment systems. I've seen a blip or two about them, though not ALL the features and specifications, and I'm blown away.

Glad to hear at least a move toward more BlueTooth. When I finally do upgrade my older Pro7 that is something I'll want. And I have been otherwise quite satisfied with AutoCom, partly from excellent local dealer support on my questions.

Of course the only part of me that doesn't like it would be the fiscally sound part that doesn't want to spend any more money to replace an Autocom system that works just fine. :)

Ain't that the truth. If I hadn't been working for a dealership that sold Autocom, and therefore had to speak from first-hand experience whenever I talked to a customer, I'd probably still be using a perfectly good Pro-M1. I tried, but I couldn't break it.

Same issue with the new Active Rider I'm using now. The new stuff looks incredible and from what I've been able to ascertain, performs superbly. And I probably will go ahead and upgrade just to stay current and learn as much as I can about it. But I don't HAVE to. My system works flawlessly.

Ain't that the truth. If I hadn't been working for a dealership that sold Autocom, and therefore had to speak from first-hand experience whenever I talked to a customer, I'd probably still be using a perfectly good Pro-M1. I tried, but I couldn't break it.

Same issue with the new Active Rider I'm using now. The new stuff looks incredible and from what I've been able to ascertain, performs superbly. And I probably will go ahead and upgrade just to stay current and learn as much as I can about it. But I don't HAVE to. My system works flawlessly.

Okay, Eff, enough with the foreplay, tell us what you know about the new systems!!!

Okay, Eff, enough with the foreplay, tell us what you know about the new systems!!!

If I told you, I'd have to make half of it up. Really. There's some new stuff coming (apparently already being shown at the big NEC show in England) and it's possible to wirelessly connect more than your phone. The systems are supposedly much simpler in terms of accessory cables and such (far fewer of them for the dealer to stock). It looks like a whole new way to structure a rider/bike/accessory interface. Ask Tom as he has all the details. I only got a look at a couple of pics with a few words (an early flyer of sorts). Remember, he can't promote the sale of his products here because of our non-commercial status. However, he CAN answer questions about technical features.
My apologies for the old UK site, it was/is well and truly out of date.

When we introduced the 2006 products in November 2006 ready for the 2007 season, it was just before I went into hospital for major spinal surgery etc, and at the time we realised that the old site needed to be completely replaced with a new site.

With me away and out of action for some considerable time the new site was never completed and since then we decided to further develop the range and so the site needed to be updated yet again, which although costing considerable time and money, never went on-line.

Subsequently we are now working with a new web company who assures us of a new site that will be on-line in a couple of weeks, and then refined over the next month before our new product launch in January 2009

I will try to ensure that a copy of our new brochure is on-line as soon as it is completed in the next week or two.

Autocom UK Tom

Without promoting your products, Tom, can you answer this technical question?: will I be able to replace my Active Duo system with a similar setup that will eliminate the need to connect wires to the helmet, and still be able to talk to my pillion and listen to music? I imagine others want to be able to do the same while yakking on the phone and listening to that whiny woman who lives in their GPS unit. So I can get off the bike and gas up and have a pee without untangling myself from the bike? Technically speaking?

EDIT: searching using the Intergoogle for "nec bike show autocom" all I was able to come up with was AUTOCOM SHOW GIRL Tom, is that the new unit's wiring schematic she's got drawn on her?

Autocom has the best rep in the business. I don't need intercom or bike 2 bike. I'm hoping they come out with a bluetooth system that allows me to use all the features of my zumo (phone, voice prompts, music) plus an extra aux. port to add ipod.

A few are out, but, none get rave reviews. We can communicate with a man on the moon, but, we don't have these basics covered. Hopefully, Autocom is going to come out with such a unit?

We can communicate with a man on the moon....

We could 36 years ago; not since.

Yeah, but the astronaut tool kits are no better than ours, afterall, they just throw them overboard . . . like we do!! :rofl:

Having been to the NEC, I'll have a go at this one - hopefully without giving too much of the game away before the US ditributor is prepared.

will I be able to replace my Active Duo system with a similar setup that will eliminate the need to connect wires to the helmet

There are no wireless headsets in the 2009 range - the technology is not yet up to Autocom's demanding standards

, and still be able to talk to my pillion and listen to music?

I imagine others want to be able to do the same while yakking on the phone and listening to that whiny woman who lives in their GPS unit. So I can get off the bike and gas up and have a pee without untangling myself from the bike?

There is a new battery or bike powered unit, which I would describe as an evolution of the Active Plus and still connected by a wire to the helmet, that allows bluetooth connectivity to a pillion using a similar, separate unit, and multiple bluetooth connectivity to other bluetooth-enabled devices such as GPS, phone and iPod.

If one chose to use battery power, one could take a pee without untangling onesself from the bike.

If any of this is interesting, you will have to wait for the website to be finished.

All those who MUST HAVE wireless headsets can now purchase their chosen product with a clear conscience - especially as they appear to have changed all the cable part numbers again!

I won't give more detail or I'll spoil Autocom launch plans.

Two new brochures will be available on-line within the next week or two. The new products will not be on sale until January 2009

Brochure one; Portable or bike powered, wired and WIRELESS products

One system will allow you to get on and off the bike and speak with your passenger without having to connect to the bike or to them! This also has options for wireless connection to Stereo phones, GPS etc

Brochure two; Bike powered range, includes the new Super Pro Automatic and the new Super Pro Remote Controlled systems. These are both 12 volt wired systems

This is just the beginning

Tom

Two new brochures will be available on-line within the next week or two. The new products will not be on sale until January 2009

Brochure one; Portable or bike powered, wired and WIRELESS products

One system will allow you to get on and off the bike and speak with your passenger without having to connect to the bike or to them! This also has options for wireless connection to Stereo phones, GPS etc

Brochure two; Bike powered range, includes the new Super Pro Automatic and the new Super Pro Remote Controlled systems. These are both 12 volt wired systems

This is just the beginning

Tom

;)

Timing is perfect for the new comm needs. Looking forward to seeing what is brought out. Hopefully, San Mateo will have something to work with even if it will be 2 weeks pre-Januray!

hmm, which leads one to wonder whether we were actually there :lurk:
Dave McReynolds

hmm, which leads one to wonder whether we were actually there :lurk:

"On January 23, 1960, the Trieste reached the bottom of the Challenger Deep in the Pacific Ocean's Marianas Trench and set a deep-diving record -- 35,810 feet -- that will likely never be bested. No one has even tried. In fact, in the nearly 40 years since, no person has plunged to within 10,000 feet of the record."

Maybe we didn't do that either? Were all those guys in the '60's just imagining these things in their marijuana dreams, or have we just wimped out since then?

have we just wimped out since then?

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

The "cost" is too great, we're too lazy, someone else will do it, I don't want to be responsible for the risks inherent to attain the prize.

I've believed this for a long time. Everyone has an excuse as to why NOT. Few are willing to ask, "Why not?"

Sorry, a hijack to say the least. My apologies.

If one chose to use battery power, one could take a pee without untangling onesself from the bike.

Oh, the advances modern technology brings us. :thumbsup: Reminds me of a great story.

The company shall remain nameless. However, I was their sales manager and the national sales meeting was taking place on the corporate premises, in very large conference/meeting room (about 60x40).

The sales force had grown to where the room was quite full, and in order to make it possible for everyone to hear, the owners had installed a wireless microphone system which we who spoke could wear, and which would broadcast over some speakers in the room. The microphones clipped to our collars or lapels, and the battery packs/transmitters fit comfortably into a shirt pocket.

About mid morning we took a break, and one of the people who had had been presenting new product to the sales force, went to the restroom. Those who had not gone outside for a smoke, but had remained in the room, were soon treated to the grunts, groans, strains and eventual relief broadcast in four-speaker splendor via a forgotten mic left on. People were on the floor, not only in tears but literally unable to breathe. For those who were able to remain upright, the "bawooosh" of the toilet flushing actually brought applause. And when said person returned to the room, people had to be helped up off the floor, most unsuccessfully for several attempts and at least 10 minutes.

Yes, John, one may be able to take a pee without untangling oneself from the bike. But I to recommend that they "untangle" their microphone from their Blutooth-powered Autocoms lest their passenger get a stereophonic earful of "race horse/flat rock" ricocheting through their helmet.

Tom,

I went to the NEC show, but your team were snowed under, so I missed talking to them.

Could I ask you a couple of quick questions regarding the new LOGIC units please:

1. Do they communicate with each other using Bluetooth, or some other wireless technology?

2. How far can I wander from my partner before communication deteriorates / fails?

The Logic Independence has a wireless link for use between the two personal hubs and each hub uses the same chips as our Bluetooth interface for stereo phones etc, however the Hub to Hub coding cannot be called Bluetooth.

The range at the moment is rated at 10 meters (about 33 feet)

In answer to another question, the system is part digital and part analogue.

A set of three standard AA Alkaline batteries (2500mAH) should last between 10 and 50 hours.

For normal speech (rider-passenger, bike to bike, GPS, phone etc) and at typical speeds of 80mph, without earplugs, the systems draws about 90mAH so about 27 hours life. Slightly longer battery life when used with monitor type earplugs as these draw less current than the new 8 Ohm speakers.

With high attenuation earplugs and at higher speeds say over 150mph, and with loud music the system could consume as much as 300mAH and so flatten the batteries in about 8 hours.

We are developing a new 4,000mAH rechargeable battery pack that would last typically 44 hours under normal riding conditions with just speech, or 13 hours continuous use with earplugs and loud music at very high speeds. I would say you should expect 20 hours typical use average.

While talking about earplug use, these new systems can be turned up by as much as 4 times louder than our old systems, VERY LOUD, but we would recommend bike powering them at such high levels and we do make a high quality two part bike power lead that’s ideal for in-pocket, tank bag or on bike use.

Each independent wireless hub has 4 Aux inputs, (that’s 4 for the rider and 4 for the passenger, plus each can have its own internal stereo Bluetooth interface fitted. In normal mode A each hub will only transmit the rider and passenger speech plus share a bike to bike radio plugged into either hub. In mode B each hub is set to share its inputs with the other hub.

The new digital power controller lets you have full power and quality even when the batteries run down and only have one volt left in them!

Hope that helps with some of the popular questions we are being asked about the new products, now I must get on with finalising the brochures so that you can all see all the details properly

Tom

I’m totally confused (nothing new in itself). First I read there will not be a wireless to the helmet product, and then I read I can walk way up to 10m and my pillion can still hear me. Short of a 10m cord, I don’t get it. Is there a cord to the helmet(s) or isn’t there?

Oh well, I have a long Canada winter to contemplate my next farkle upgrade.

Is there a cord to the helmet(s) or isn’t there?

This is how I've read it.

Yes, there is a cord from the helmet to your pocket where you have the little wireless interface box.

And on a bike there is hard-wired "wireless hub" that talks to the two mobile units and other BT capable devices like GPS or a cell.

--

Mikko

I’m totally confused (nothing new in itself). First I read there will not be a wireless to the helmet product, and then I read I can walk way up to 10m and my pillion can still hear me. Short of a 10m cord, I don’t get it. Is there a cord to the helmet(s) or isn’t there?

Here's my take. And this is a WAG.

1. Notice that Tom used the word "hub" several times. I believe a "hub" is an Autocom. Therefore, you can have a single Autocom mounted on the bike in the traditional manner, with cables up to your and your passenger's helmets. Certain devices can be Bluetoothed to that hub given the proper accessories.

OR

2. You can have an Autocom hub that's battery powered and stored in a jacket pocket with a wire up to your helmet's headset (thus you're not wired to the bike, per se). Your passenger can also have an Autocom hub similarly structured. Your hub can talk with their hub wirelessly. And since each of you has a hub, yours might have the GPS, radar and your favorite music playing, while your passengers has her cell phone and HER favorite music connected. Each of you has your own private entertainment/information center, yet you can talk to each other with VOX overriding your music/info inputs.

Again, this is a Wild A$$ Guess and I may be completely wrong (those of you who've been on the board more than two weeks are all nodding knowingly, I see. Hmmm.) But that's what I think may be going on. I guess we'll have to wait until the brochures are online to have all the info.

Way off topic but how's that going for you? (He asks sitting out on the porch for his first winter in Florida). :wave:

Archived