handlebar riser move the bars up & back diagonally

dharnie

handlebar riser move the bars up & back diagonally 1 inch

I do not have my 2004 R1150RTP bike yet (will be here in 2 weeks) and am used to the "cruise" ride position. Last time I rode a BMW was in 1976 - ouch! Since I am 6' tall & 63 years old (not a limber as when I was 33!)- any opinions as to whether it is worth $75 to get these risers for less neck & shoulder strain??

handlebar riser move the bars up & back diagonally 1 inch

I do not have my 2004 R1150RTP bike yet (will be here in 2 weeks) and am used to the "cruise" ride position. Last time I rode a BMW was in 1976 - ouch! Since I am 6' tall & 63 years old (not a limber as when I was 33!)- any opinions as to whether it is worth $75 to get these risers for less neck & shoulder strain??

dharnie, some people like the bar risers & others don’t..

It seems that if you stay with the original bar position for a while it becomes comfortable after paying your dues for a time period..

Some people just put the bar risers on right off the get-go & don’t look back but in my (personal) opinion once you get used to the stock position it is actually better than the bar back riser position..

At your height if you have matching long legs you might be better off just lowering the foot pegs to allow les leg cramping on longer rides..

One good thing if your get the bar backs & don’t like them they do re-sell fairly easy..

Twisty

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

wait to get the bike.

if do find uncomfortable then try the riser and see.

details:

you dont have you bike yet i see.

Although riding position and comfort are personal, imho you do not need to be limber on an RT (RTP i dont know but looks similar) the position is very neutral and natural - i think you will find the position pretty comfy - not much weigh on the arms - not bent over looking upwards (so neck strain will be from the wind not from the body leaning forward).

i would wait till you get your bike and see how it goes. i might even venture to say handle bar risers might be less (not more) comfy as will left up your arms and they will get tired due to reduced blood flow and etc. my impression from 6 months of web surfing is that risers are one of the less popular farkels on the RT (RS however different story). Seat upgrades, peg lowering and driver back-rests I think are more popular.

the only way you will really know if risers are better for you is if you try it. 75$ is not a lot of money if it makes you comfortable - however if it does nothing then it is money out the window - wasted - could have gone to better things (would have been better to just mail it to me for example :wave: ) . there is also the risk that some cable might no longer be long enough once you raise the bar (i would check this before buying - using a piece of wood, a clamp and moving bars to full right and left lock) -if this is the case then you will need to spend more money.

i dont have an RTP so i might be talking rubbish (but i do offer a money back guarantee on any advice offered) :thumbsup:

I'm 6'2" and 61 (with some ageing and creaky joints :eek:) and I find the stock position is VERY comfortable. Ride it a few miles before you mess with your posture on the bike. Remember to also try adjusting the seat position during a couple of rides, before spending your hard earned dosh:thumbsup:!

One thing I did do...I added seat jacks to my bike and found it made the seat way more comfortable (tipped it backwards). And I do have the "Comfort" seat on my RT.

My wifes '96 R1100RT has bar-backs, my '02 R1150RT does not. I'm 6' 0", 30" inseam, 180 lbs. 66 years young (my WiiFit says I'm only about 45 years old).

I ride both bikes from time to time and I prefer the position of the R1150 without the risers.

Stan

I have 1" risers on Ruby and I like them. If you decide you want some go to www.moto-techniques.com. They sell risers and barbacks for about $60 a pair + shipping.

Good advice & opinions here! Thaanks! I was going to wait, but just bought the risers on ebay because I was distracted & lost an item I wanted so I got the risers to "perk" me up. I will try the stock bike for awhile and move the seat adjustments as suggested. Then put the risers on and try them for awhile. Since I will be using the bike for commuting it won't take to many days to figure it all out.

I got a "new" used Kawasaki Vulcanp assenger backrest on ebay for $40 and made a bracket to use it on my Yamaha Venture. It will now be used on my beemer. It was a nice addition for my creature comfort.

Great forum here! Glad I found you guys!

I'm 6-1 and 55 y.o. Stock bars and pegs position is very comfortable, though added the touring seat which gives me more legroom. Of course, I was riding a HD Street Rod which is has a more aggressive riding position.

Rob

I put them on my old R1100RT for the 2003 Australian BMW Safari (about 6-7000Km) and my back killed me between the shoulder blades the whole time. I'm 6'1" and was 52 at the time.

I removed them and the pain went away. I have no idea why fitting the risers would do that.

I now have the R1150RT and feel no need whatever to alter the stock bars. I have seat risers on the stock seat and lambswool. I don't feel the need to change that either. I ride at the highest seat setting.

Linz :)

I bought a pair of them a couple of months ago and after installing them I immediately started to feel a pain between my shoulder blades. I'm six feet and 210 lbs and I have been seriously thinking about removing them and returning my bike back to stock. The funny thing is I have owned my 2004 RT since July of 2003 and never really had any problems with how it felt, I just thought the risers would make it even more comfortable. I was wrong.

I concur- get the bike first -try riding at least 500 miles to determine if you want/need to make the change. Personally, I picked up a used set on ebay for about $25.00 put them on and love them. I wouldn't mind if they rotated the bars in just a bit, but the up and back an inch really does make the RT easier for me to enjoy ALL DAY LONG.

• 3 months later...
scooter1150

i just bought a 2004 1150rt and was going to install the 1" barbacks. 1 up 1 back

the right front brake line runs in front of the fork, (does yours) it looks like too tight of a fit. i have not tried to install them yet.

reg

Yes it's in front of the fork and I have them on mine. I can't remember but you may have to cut a zip tie or something to loosen up a cable or two.

Starfighter

The biggest improvement for me was adding risers to the front of the seat.

Without them I always slid toward the tank.

I made mine out of 1/8" and 1/4" aluminum and kept adding until it felt good.

plexi is another option.

I placed them on my '96 R1100RT and went on the 2003 BMW Safari without a test ride. That was stupid. I had the *worst* upper back pain ever for the 10 days of riding we did. I could have cried with the pain.

Took 'em off when I got home and never felt the pain again. There's a few lessons in my post.

Linz :)

The biggest improvement for me was adding risers to the front of the seat.

Without them I always slid toward the tank.

I made mine out of 1/8" and 1/4" aluminum and kept adding until it felt good.

plexi is another option.

+1.

I wouldn't consider ANY other 'comfort' modification until this is done. The amount of subliminal effort needed to keep yourself pushed back, is huge. My shoulders and legs ached as well as getting really anoyed with the sliding sensation. Now I find the stock riding position and saddle spot on.

Andy

Archived