IGNORED

My GPS mount on my R1200RT

Clyde

view-2.jpg Looks like a monster with his eyes and mouth wide open, doesn't it?

The mount: the-mount.jpg

It's just the iQue3600 car cradle with the base weight remove and velcro on.

This is how is look for afar:

the-mount-1.jpg

There is just enough room with the windshield fully lowered: fully-lowered.jpg

Full raised:

fully-raised.jpg

Total coat: $3.89+tax for the velcro from Home Depot and about 1 hour time cutting aluminum.

The windshield is the sport windshield from Cee Bailey, BWT.

grin.gifclap.gif

Glad you posted... particularly for the sports windscreen. Tell us: what's the wind deflection like with that thing? Up and down. And if it rains? I'd always thought that BMW windtested their products mercilessly, so they windscreen on my R12RT was the best for protection, but, aesthetically, I'd like a shorter one like yours....

RussInParis

So how does the iQue work for you? Do you use it for voice prompts? Put through the intercom? What about the display quality/visibility in sunlight?

I've been wondering about the PocketPC solutions specifically from Mitac.

The only thing is, the time I'd REALLY like to have GPS is in the dark and rain going someplace I don't know. In these conditions, I guess the iQue/PDA solution wouldn't work, as they aren't waterproof.

Russ

The only thing is, the time I'd REALLY like to have GPS is in the dark and rain going someplace I don't know. In these conditions, I guess the iQue/PDA solution wouldn't work, as they aren't waterproof.

They are if you put them in an Otterbox and mount them with a RAM mount.

The automotive GPS's are certainly easier to use on a m/c but if you just want the occasional directions or saved track, and you already have a PDA, this is certainly a viable solution, especially with the larger VGA displays on some of the newer PDAs. And if you connect the audio to your helmet you've got both voice guidance and an MP3 player. grin.gif

andrewwinghale

Hey, looks great. Would have lost my Valentine a half dozen times if not for it's cord due to unexpected pothole/road cunstruction/etc.....from the velcro mount, also my mount is home made from a product that will not cut your knee-cap's off in a misshap.

About the windshield: This Cee Bailey cuts off all air when fully raised or little breeze to hurracane as you lower. The best part is the blast don't bother my eyes so I can open the helmet shield:

- closed - airs to body only

- one click - air from chin *and* forehead. It feel so good having lots of air cool my skul thumbsup.gif

- two click - more air up from chin only

- three click - still more

- fully open - blast away yet my eyes still fine if the windshield is raised a little.

I have not and will not ride in rain so cannot tell how it's like in that.

The Cee Bailey is thicker, doesn't flap around, less optical distortion.

Did BMW put any effort in designing its windshield? Can I have some money back if you return their windowshield?

About the iQue: I didn't choose it for my bike so it's probably not the best choice. I had it for a while so I put it on my cycle. viewing is good in the Sun as long as you don't hit the glare. The car cradle has speaker for voice prompt and charger. It's not water proof. Getting it wet is not good, me think. But if you really need it in the rain, you can throw a sandwitch bag over it, yes? There is headphone jack to hook. It can play MP3. With 4Gb 6Gb SD card forthcoming, you can have the whole USA and some MP3 in one and give me you iPod, thank you.

I hope I won't hit any big pothole.

Archived