IGNORED

Happy Gratefulness Day

David

We're having the usual 20 or so family members over, and I'm really looking forward to that. Lots of eating, and then hopefully feasting on the hapless Lions. :/

I was asked recently during a presentation to pick one thing I'd change in the workforce if I could waive a magic wand.

Without hesitation I said: genuine gratefulness. That's the one thing I think is missing a bit in what I hear around me, and what I see in myself at times. We ought to be grateful for HAVING jobs, for example. And our health and on and on.

Then today I saw this quote in someone's email signature line:

Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.

Cicero, 'Pro Plancio,' 54 B.C.

Roman author, orator, & politician (106 BC - 43 BC)

Screw Thanksgiving as a commercial holiday, but long live gratefulness as a sentiment worth keeping in mind all the time! :thumbsup:

There was an expression in the Navy years ago that said "A bitching sailor is a happy sailor" and the rationale was that if someone only has piddly things to complain about then his needs are met.

And that boys and girls, ain't all that bad.

I'm thankful for my friends and my family and the time we spend together, and I'm especially thankful for those that stand the watch allowing us this opportunity.

I'm thankful for my friends and my family and the time we spend together, and I'm especially thankful for those that stand the watch allowing us this opportunity.

All I can say is, +1!!!

And God bless the USA.

We ought to be grateful for HAVING jobs

I have a feeling that you're about to get your wish, David....

I know I am, after 8 months, it nice to do something. I am really enjoying the new biz and the people I am working for/with. We're a small company, but the support I've gotten is without the best I've had. :thumbsup:

I am not sure who is more grateful?

Me

my Boss

or, my Mom :rofl:

All I can say is, +1!!!

And God bless the USA.

DITTO

+1 on avoiding the commercial aspects. (Not to be a Scrooge or Grinch, but I'm already sick of Christmas and it's not even Thanksgiving yet.)

However, I agree with the gratefulness thing. Good call. I'll work on being more grateful.

I know I am, after 8 months, it nice to do something.

I'm very grateful for my current circumstance; I just wish I had a job: two+ years and counting and it's starting to pinch a bit.

It could be worse; some of my coworkers chose to go to India and are now stationed in Mumbai, I hope they're OK.

Without hesitation I said: genuine gratefulness. That's the one thing I think is missing a bit in what I hear around me, and what I see in myself at times. We ought to be grateful for HAVING jobs, for example. And our health and on and on.

I see plenty of gratitude directed at (good) employers by employees, but it has been a darn long time since I've seen an employer direct any gratitude toward the employees.

I see plenty of gratitude directed at (good) employers by employees, but it has been a darn long time since I've seen an employer direct any gratitude toward the employees.

Then you're viewing life through a filter or you're not very good at choosing jobs. :grin:

In the 10 years I've been with my employer, I've seen a complete change in attitude about employees by management. They've gone from viewing "us" as expensive but necessary evils to the most valuable asset. Things aren't 100% perfect but seem to be moving in the right direction. Working for a smaller (compared to the 5000+ employees at my last employer) company has its advantages.

I don't think I'm lucky to have a job. I have busted my gut for many years putting re-bar together. I have earned it. However I am lucky to be paid a reasonable wage to do this dirty work.

Gratefulness exist, can exist, on a whole bunch of levels, and I agree, it’s hard to underestimate the power of it.

I’ll site but one small example – You can’t believe how much it gladdens my heart to see young people getting off the bus each day and some of them telling the bus driver, “Thank you.” Powerful words them two is.

Gratefulness exist, can exist, on a whole bunch of levels, and I agree, it’s hard to underestimate the power of it.

I’ll site but one small example – You can’t believe how much it gladdens my heart to see young people getting off the bus each day and some of them telling the bus driver, “Thank you.” Powerful words them two is.

If only you knew.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all.

I'm thankful for:

Wife of 41 years.

3 kids married to their first wives.

6 healthy grandchildren (last one born election night)

Freedom to worship

Long time friendships

Living in the USA

Health insurance included in my retirement

Enough income to be free from want

Freedom of speech

All of those who serve and protect

People being willing to serve in our military

The view out my back door

Having lived in the same town for 34 years

Having worked for and with some really good people

Sex

The end of the election

Toys of all kinds

A turkey on the table today with all that goes with it

This forum and all of the folks here who have made me feel welcome (even Whip)

SW Colorado

Technology that allows me to type this and all of you to read it

Cheap gas ($1.64)

Access to excellent medical care

Cool, clear days in the middle of August in the North Channel (Thank you Canada)

Parents who considered education to be important

Just the start.

Joe Frickin' Friday

It's been a very good year for us. While many in this country are falling on hard times, Masako and I have both had stable, good-paying jobs all year.

Apart from a few colds and one slightly broken finger, we're both in excellent health.

I've survived one more riding season without crashing.

We live in a country that is able to deliver the resources for us to put together an amazing turkey dinner today - and we have the kitchen skills to do it. :Cool:

All in all, things are pretty good; we have a lot to be grateful for.

Have a happy Thanksgiving. :wave:

Happy Thanksgiving back at ya'....

Grandkids are here today. They asked to 'camp out' last night so up went my small tent (indoors of course). They laughed and played till wee hours of the night zipping and unzipping the tent door...priceless.

425611409_43wdS-M.jpg

I'm thankful for the little things in life right now.

Regards,

Mike O

Lone_RT_rider
All in all, things are pretty good; we have a lot to be grateful for.

Have a happy Thanksgiving. :wave:

I have more to be grateful for this year than I have in many, may years. Not every knows this (well, I guess they will now) but I was layed off from my job on July 29th of this year. Somehow, something was looking after after me and 2 weeks to the day after I lost one job I had another, with a raise and in the same general area I live. I am indeed very, very grateful.

It's amazing how your perspective can change when you have no idea where your next paycheck is coming from.....

Everyone have a great day........ :)

I'm grateful for all of it.

Even the bad, for it allows me to appreciate the good times even more.

Family, friends, health, job, another hoilday observed and looking forward to many more.

Happy Thanksgiving back at ya'....

Grandkids are here today. They asked to 'camp out' last night so up went my small tent (indoors of course). They laughed and played till wee hours of the night zipping and unzipping the tent door...priceless.

425611409_43wdS-M.jpg

I'm thankful for the little things in life right now.

Regards,

Mike O

You are a very rich man indeed.

I have so many things to be grateful for--here are some of them.

The love of my life.

n1042369350_204447_1392.jpg

Number one son.

n1042369350_203070_2607.jpg

My "baby"

n1042369350_203074_3630.jpg

The future

n1042369350_203309_4359.jpg

n1042369350_200203_4905.jpg

Add to these my music, my motorcycling and friends like all of you. Happy Thanksgiving all!!!

John Ranalletta

I wouldn't dare argue with Cicero, but I'd offer it's difficult to experience gratitude without humility and trust, both of which are in short supply in many but not all businesses.

Last Friday evening, after receiving an award for generating the most revenue for this year, I thanked a number of people without whom I could not have succeeded.

I was moved to say that I also credited serendipity, too. While I believe that planning and hard work can lead to success, too often we take credit for the "lay ups" that others setup for us to make.

Archived