IGNORED

Tire vlave stem replacement

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

Looking at getting all the necessary items together for tire changing on my 2000 R1100RT and am wondering if a special tool is needed for the removal or placement of the valve stem. Thanks in advance.

Anton Largiader

Just one of those vlave tools (looks like a steel pipe with a bar shoved through it sideways, maybe 1" each way) but you can get those anywhere.

112343_front200.jpg

If you meant valve core then the above tool is the one (and you'll need it), but if you meant valve stem then that would be a different tool. There are tools made for removing and inserting valve stems but I would just cut off the OEM rubber stem and install a metal one in its place.

If you meant valve core then the above tool is the one (and you'll need it), but if you meant valve stem then that would be a different tool. There are tools made for removing and inserting valve stems but I would just cut off the OEM rubber stem and install a metal one in its place.

Seth, technically you are correct but I use that very same tool shown to install valve stems.. One socket on that tool has internal threads that screw in the OD of the valve stem so I just lube the rubber valve stem,, push it through the rim hole,, then screw the above tool on,, then either use a gloved hand to pull the valve stem into it’s seat,, or pry under the little arms of that tool with a screwdriver & rag to pull the valve stem into it’s seat..

As far as removing the valve stem? It can be cut out with a knife or the inner part (part inside the rim) can be shoved through the rim hole with a screwdriver..

Twisty

If you're installing rubber valve stems, there are instructions here, although they really make a simple job complicated. If you want metal valve stems, the last time I bought tire supplies I got them from All Tire Supply, and the price was good and delivery quick. You probably want this metal stem or this rubber stem. This is the tool for installing the rubber valve stems.

I was planning to get 45deg or 90deg metal screw on stems like these:

http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=17-561&Category_Code=6-3

http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=17-562&Category_Code=6-3

Anyone use them? Also, they look like they protrude deeper into the rim, I may have to get creative with the mounting straps on my SmartTire Pressure Monitor.

I was planning to get 45deg or 90deg metal screw on stems like these:

http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=17-561&Category_Code=6-3

http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=17-562&Category_Code=6-3

Anyone use them? Also, they look like they protrude deeper into the rim, I may have to get creative with the mounting straps on my SmartTire Pressure Monitor.

I have both the Patchboy 3/4" straight and 45-degree metal stems installed on various BMW wheels and they work great. From the picture it would seem to be the exact same item as listed by All Tire Supply except at Patchboy they're $1.50 instead of $10... :eek:

Actually that's $26 for a box of 10 from All Tire. Still more than Patchboy but not 10x more. Of course when you add in the $3.45 handling charge for that one valve . . .

It probably doesn't make sense to buy metal valve stems in bulk if you're only doing your own tires. On the other hand, if you're using the rubber valve stems, having a whole box on the shelf encourages you to put in fresh ones from time to time.

Anton Largiader
If you meant valve core then the above tool is the one (and you'll need it), but if you meant valve stem then that would be a different tool.

The top part (in that picture) is internally threaded for pulling stems through rims.

Archived